Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darksiders 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Started the first one. It's great brainless fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Actually started playing DS2 on the WiiU and it was a bit of stupid fun but just struck me as a sort of "Ubisoft do LoZ" and got a bit bored. The Warmastered Edition of DS1 is apparently getting a WiiU release too?

Started the second game. What the hell were they thinking? Loot, levelling up, menus menus menus, dialogue wheels. Ugh.

The first game (Black Throne beam puzzles aside) was a great simple hack and slash game. Why ruin it with all this clutter?

well looks like they have made the whip a lot more substantial. looks decent.

supposed to be a release date of August '18 (leaked by accident the other day)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Whip looks better now alright, the lack of particle effects in the first video was probably the reason it looked so lackluster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

glasso wrote: »
    Supposed to be a release date of August '18 (leaked by accident the other day)

Sweet! Plenty of time for me to play through the first 2 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Loved the first game. DS2 was good but a lil less "fun".
    This is looking good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dammit have to finish 2 before this.

I recall getting to a car park ......... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The Microsoft store apparently leaked the release date for this as 27th November 2018. At least it's not February 22nd.

So this is out tomorrow. Reviews range from ok to bad in some places. A few mention serious technical issues which could be down to lack of a day one patch on their systems. I'll be holding off I think.

Most mention it's 15-20 hours in length, 90% combat and 10% puzzles and that combat is pretty mundane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

So this is out tomorrow. Reviews range from ok to bad in some places. A few mention serious technical issues which could be down to lack of a day one patch on their systems. I'll be holding off I think.

I'll pick it up down the line on sale out of respect for it's predecessors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yea, the Eurogamer review confirmed some of my worries about this one. It looks like Nordic just don't have the budgets required to pull off a game of this scale. :o

I'll be the same as sweetie though, definitely gona pick it up due to my love for the previous iterations and as a polite hat tip for sticking with the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gizmo wrote: »
    Yea, the Eurogamer review confirmed some of my worries about this one. It looks like Nordic just don't have the budgets required to pull off a game of this scale. :o

Which is strange as right now they have 55 games at some stage of development.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/thq-nordic-development-1203028659/

Probably spreading themselves very thin atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

ERG89 wrote: »
    Which is strange as right now they have 55 games at some stage of development.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/thq-nordic-development-1203028659/

Probably spreading themselves very thin atm.
    Oh they certainly have the money, they just haven't yet adopted the large scale development budgets of the bigger publishers.

The number of projects on their roster will also probably be tied to the fact that they've gona on an acquisition spree over the last year or two, most recently picking up Koch Media which includes Deep Silver who are in turn publishing Metro Exodus next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

gizmo wrote:
    The number of projects on their roster will also probably be tied to the fact that they've gona on an acquisition spree over the last year or two, most recently picking up Koch Media which includes Deep Silver who are in turn publishing Metro Exodus next year.

Hope that doesn't bode badly for the new Metro!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sounds like they took out or shortchanged a lot of the decent enough things about the franchise. The previous ones were never great games but they were fun to play through in their own way. From the reviews, the lack of puzzles is a big disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Jim Sterling says "moderatefun" "aloadof****e" and hes always been very positive about the series :( sad times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ACG says wait for a sale.

Jim Sterling says "moderatefun" "aloadof****e" and hes always been very positive about the series :( sad times.

I like Jim, in small doses, but I thought his video was crap.

One of his big points of criticism is that they've changed lots from Darksiders 2 and for a lot of people, me included, that is a good thing. Never liked the loot and the open world stuff.

I was never getting this on day one but will definitely pick it up down the line. Looks fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I might still get it myself the combat looks fun.

• Advertisement

I might still get it myself the combat looks fun.

My reading on the reviews was that its overly simple in terms of combat by todays standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Anyone here playing this? I think it looks fun. Very Dark Soulsy, combat wise from the little bits I've seen. I've read reviews saying it takes a lot from the Souls games. I'm very tempted to pick it up. Hopefully it will be like latest Tomb Raider and Fallout and go on sale soon.

Ah no. Please don't tell me it's a die/repeat sim like the Souls series. That will ruin it for me. Strongly dislike those games, and loved Darksiders 1 or 2. Will be quite annoyed if they made it Souls-like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's apparently more Darksiders 1 then 2, and just not as good as either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ah no. Please don't tell me it's a die/repeat sim like the Souls series. That will ruin it for me. Strongly dislike those games, and loved Darksiders 1 or 2. Will be quite annoyed if they made it Souls-like.

Well sorry to disappoint, but its very "die/repeat/fun?".

-all items appear as white orbs to pickup, lots of "break these crystals to get 50 souls" style pickups like every Souls game has
    -you drop souls on death and have to recover them, though I think they remain if you die before recovering them
    -enemies can 3-4 shot you
    -upgrades are pump souls into a bar and get a skill point when you fill it with it costing more each time
    -weapon upgrades are a "2/4/6" cost of a certain item, then "2/4/6" of a higher grade item to add +1, +2, +3 etc to an item (very Souls-ish)
    -you have no ranged weapons (as far Ive seen and am a few hours in)
    -no optional spells to pick and choose like the previous games (Blade geyser, Stoneform, summoning Ghouls etc), just 4 "hollow" forms that give a sub-weapon and a unique Wrath ability
    -no map...at all. just a compass pointing the path to next Sin needing killin'

Camera is a pain, only accepts a lock for an enemy within the centre of the scree, even if you are looking at an enemy off camera. It also drops the camera very low when locked, sometimes cant even see regular sized enemies a Fury is standing in the way.

You get swarmed quite a lot, last area I was in had 5-6 skeletons at a time and there is no great indicator if an enemy is about to attack from off screen.

I'm starting to get to grips with it but am really regretting buying it at full price, €30 would be stretching it for the frustration ya feel at times.

Thanks Gunmonkey. Was tempted in spite of reviews but you talked me down to wait for sale. That **** would annoy the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

There are more disappointing adaptions from the previous games to make it more "Soulslike".

The Havoc form (the huge demon mode you can activate) does feck all damage, have dealt less to a boss with incessant wailing on them (I think anyways, your so big Fury fills the screen and her whips obscure so much I cant see what I'm doing half the time I activate it) than just stand, dodge an attack and counter twice. But both counters and Havoc are boosted by the same attribute so theres no way to pump it up individually. At least you become invulnerable and recharge health!

The economy is bare bones: all you can really buy are consumables (dont even know if theres a cap on the amount you can hold, prob 10 of each), weapon/enhancement upgrade shards (infinite of the basic tier, limited quantities of the next tier) and weapon enhancements (only 3 so far, 1 is worthless IMO) so just end up pumping all the souls into levels. At least in Darksiders 1 and Darl Souls there was a good variety of stuff to buy, from new moves to Health core shards or different weapon types and items in Souls games.

Went on Steam the other day to have a look at reviews and scope this game, ended up buying Soul Reaver 1 and 2 for 89c each :D Feels like i made the right choice

If you've never played them, you're in for some of the best voice acting in any game ever.

• Advertisement

If you've never played them, you're in for some of the best voice acting in any game ever.

Ah yes i played them before when they first released but it was so long ago. I love the lore and the world they built with this game series, i wish we could get a modern game that is faithful to the saga

Advertisement