Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darksiders 3

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ah yes i played them before when they first released but it was so long ago. I love the lore and the world they built with this game series, i wish we could get a modern game that is faithful to the saga
    Unlikely to happen until the current management at Square Enix, the licence holders, are purged. Just look at what happened last time an attempt was made on another entry in the franchise.

The Legacy of Kain game that was cancelled three years in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I dunno. On October 20th, 2017 they tweeted that iconic picture of Raziel with the following:

"I am Raziel, first-born of His lieutenants. I stood with Kain and my brethren at the dawn of the empire."

There is interest there, and I remember reading an interview with Amy Hennig that she would be interested in continuing or rebooting, but they were concentrating on the Tomb Raider reboot. Now that the trilogy is over, I'm extremely hopeful that they will consider rebooting Soul Reaver. I'd even take the exact same games again with modern graphics, will be more than enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I dunno. On October 20th, 2017 they tweeted that iconic picture of Raziel with the following:

"I am Raziel, first-born of His lieutenants. I stood with Kain and my brethren at the dawn of the empire."

There is interest there, and I remember reading an interview with Amy Hennig that she would be interested in continuing or rebooting, but they were concentrating on the Tomb Raider reboot. Now that the trilogy is over, I'm extremely hopeful that they will consider rebooting Soul Reaver. I'd even take the exact same games again with modern graphics, will be more than enough for me!
    Oh I don't doubt we'll get one, why worry would be whether it'd be "faithful to the saga" as YouSavedMyLife said.

The interference from Square Enix during the development of Dead Sun indicates that may not be the case, especially since you can how some of the same changes requested seem to have also influenced the Tomb Raider reboots and moved it away from what many fans thought made the original series what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

gizmo wrote: »
    The interference from Square Enix during the development of Dead Sun indicates that may not be the case, especially since you can how some of the same changes requested seem to have also influenced the Tomb Raider reboots and moved it away from what many fans thought made the original series what it was.

Yeah, TR Nouveau kinda ditched a lot of the exploration and almost loneliness of the originals to go all Uncharted and have everything explode or collapse! SO can see Legacy of Kain either copying the likes of God of War or Dark Souls, since they are supernatural/fantasy/action games.

Which would be a shame as since Darksiders ditched a lot of the zelda/metroidvania systems it would be nice for Soul Reaver to push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

32nd in the UK physical gaming chart selling a quarter of Farming Simulator 19's copies, apparently.

I think if they had went the AA route, pricing it at €/£30-35, it might have helped. But maybe digital sales have been kinder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

This was reduced in Smyths so I picked it up despite some of the criticism. Initially I thought said criticism was valid when Fury wouldn't respond to some control inputs so was getting frustrated playing. They released a patch which pretty much fixed that and I have to say I am absolutely loving the game. Still have some issues with the game (lock on and camera when fighting against multiple enemies) but overall I'm delighted I gave it a shot. I've never played any of the other DS games but this one is a lot of fun for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Got this as an XMas pressie.
    Ive played DS1&2 and as Dr.Nick mentioned, playing with the new patch makes the game feel great. Yes, the game itself, adds nothing new in the form of game play, more of the same, but I'm really enjoying it. Its not as polished like some AAA games out there but its still a great Hack&Slash romp.

Got this as an XMas pressie.
    Ive played DS1&2 and as Dr.Nick mentioned, playing with the new patch makes the game feel great. Yes, the game itself, adds nothing new in the form of game play, more of the same, but I'm really enjoying it. Its not as polished like some AAA games out there but its still a great Hack&Slash romp.

How far are you in now Rattlehead? I hit a wall on Gluttony which held me up for a few days but finally defeated him and on my way again. Must be nearing end game now with one or two sins left. I honestly think Gluttony is a really badly designed boss and I'm not alone in that after looking up some forums for the game. Despite this it doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of the game overall. Biggest annoyance from me is the loading between zones (slim ps4). In the later stages, both puzzles and enemies require thought and strategy. While game is not a masterpiece I find it very enjoyable.

Finally picked this up yesterday, got a few hours last night. Was playing initially while the update downloaded, and only about an hour, the tutorial area I suppose, but after getting to meet
    Ulthane
    I got the message that the game had to be fully installed before I progressed, which was unusual as the disc had installed and only the update was downloading. But in the cutscenes prior to that message, where Fury was speaking with
    Ulthane
    , when it did a 'close up' of either character, the edge of my screen would go mental with colour bleed. Mine is an edge lit 4K, so it's like there was a colour (usually that purple/red of her hair, but mostly all bright colours contrasting to the dark clothes/armor/background) jumping from the edge about 2 inches up the screen (49"). THe entire bottom of the screen was lit up with these colours jumping and flashing, and would stop when a far shot was on and you could see the entirety of their bodies, and repeat during the close up, and so on. Thought my TV was on the way out.

There was only a couple of minutes left, so I went for a smoke and when I came back the download had installed, I could progress and I didn't notice the colour bleed since, but only played about another hour of it so don't know if the issues persist really.

As for the game, the new combat style reminds me of God of War, so i'm trying to stick with it as I ended up loving the combat in GoW, so hoping this will be the same once I get the hang of her. Dodging is not as easy as other games and I'm dieing quite a bit because of stupid mistakes. Actually, I think I need to remap the controls if possible. I keep hitting dodge to attack and vice-versa.

Game looks well, but it's not running all that smooth on my Pro. Getting a good bit of texture popping, especially in large areas where a wall changes to the bright pink used during development, like the texture disappears for a split second. Usually only happens when rotating the camera. A good bit of slow down when entering new areas, and it has frozen for a second or two under similar conditions, and when it resumes Fury is 5/6 steps ahead of where she froze, could become a problem if it starts happening during platforming sections.

Story wise, the first Sin was a let down in every regard, even if it was a tutorial. Horrible voice, unusual look, too easy. Doesn't give me much hope for the rest, but I'm willing to give it a chance. Fury herself, she's quite annoying right now, but my mate said she evolves well over the story, so I'm holding out for that too.

So far, after initial impressions, it's the weakest of the 3, with 1 being the best and 2 being a very close second. I'll definitely finish it, and I hope it improves, but the technical issues so far are leaving a bad taste.

Game does have a lot of technical problems: texture popping, dropping frames and (the most annoying for me) freezing/loading when walking about. You could sometimes have this happen four or five times in three or four minutes at certain areas. On default setting the dodge mechanic has to be pixel perfect or you'll take damage but I've read that changing this setting to classic gives you more generous dodge timing and I frames. Can't say how accurate this is as I played on default.

In terms of the trilogy in comparison to other games I've read (I never played the first two but plan on changing that soon) DS is like God of War, DS2 is like Zelda and DS3 is like Dark Souls. I really enjoyed the game despite some frustration due to the aforementioned technical problems and sometimes troublesome camera.

• Advertisement

In terms of the trilogy in comparison to other games I've read (I never played the first two but plan on changing that soon) DS is like God of War, DS2 is like Zelda and DS3 is like Dark Souls. I really enjoyed the game despite some frustration due to the aforementioned technical problems and sometimes troublesome camera.

DS is like the original GoW's, but definitely not like the most recent, and I'm getting the recent GoW vibe from DS3. Not getting the Dark Souls reference, it's way more forgiving than that balls of a series. But I can see where some may be coming from.

May change to classic if the dodging continues to give me grief. Hope that's all that's changed. Must Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I bought this on sale today. Hope its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

How far are you in now Rattlehead?
    Ooops for the delay,
    Would you believe just getting to Gluttony now. Entered the battle late last night, but just dodged a lot trying to understand the fight. I cant make comment on it yet. I'm really enjoying it, its fun, can pick it up anytime when you have a few mins game and just move along, as you said the puzzles require a little brain thinking, but also getting the timing just right. (thinking the 3 swords puzzles). Will be interested to see what they do with DLC if/when it comes along.

I dunno, i'm finding it hard to stick with this. Unlike the souls series, I don't feel like it's my fault when I die, and more cheap enemies and bad detection/dodging mechanic. Just something doesn't feel right, and I even changed to classic which improved it, but I'm still getting my ass handed to me by basic enemies, while the bosses are a piece of pish. I'm going to stick with it, if only to finish out the story, but so far it's the worst of the 3 for me.

That, and the constant freezing when loading a new area, graphical issues everywhere... I wanted this game to be good, but I can't say it is right now. Just met Pride for the first time, so still very early days I imagine.

Started tonight, only an hour or so in and way to early to judge but instinct is telling this is not going to be one I'll overly enjoy. Keep fudging the controls and hitting rb to attack instead of X. Died on the first boss a few times because of that.

Started tonight, only an hour or so in and way to early to judge but instinct is telling this is not going to be one I'll overly enjoy. Keep fudging the controls and hitting rb to attack instead of X. Died on the first boss a few times because of that.

Exact same issue here. Every other game has made the triggers/shoulders the attack buttons. Darksiders don't think you need to.

I got a bit further into it, but unlike the first 2 which I was hooked to from start to finish (and have played about 4 times each at this stage), this one doesn't hook me at all. I find myself ignoring it to play other games. Disappointing so far imo. Then again, I had not played God of War before playing DS1 & 2, and imo GoW is after setting a very, very high bar for these types of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Its a poor imitation of a once great series. I uninstalled after the first boss.

Unfortunately it doesn't get much better. I've just killed gluttony. The game seems to push you through areas at a pretty fast pace and they can be a little samey meaning you forget where it was you saw an area that you should come back to later.

It very much feels like a bad remaster of a 10 year old game. I dropped the difficulty and it still feels cheap in terms of deaths to certain things and I wrongly expected I could do an apocalypse run like the last games on NG+ with some of my gear and stats. No, no I can't because I discovered later that there is no NG+ :mad:

Haven't touched it in nearly a week, and that's usually enough for me to consider a game not worth my time. A shame. Hopefully they patch it at some stage, but I reckon I'll get rid of it while it's still worth some few bob and pick it up again during a quieter time of the year. Don't think that'll happen this year though!

I finished it this evening, of the 3 game I felt it had the best ending though curious to know now what happens if you
    side with the demon and kill the lord of hollows
    so might give that a google.

Over all it felt like the Chinese street market version of Darksiders a poor knock off. Did the different hollows even have a use outside of the puzzle mechanics? I didn't notice if different enemies were weak to different ones or not and the wrath moves were usless except for the lightning one, which was great. Havok???? I used it so little as it took so long to build up that I was 7% of the way towards the achievement for killing 666 enemies in havok form. There an exploit you can use to get 666 in about 10 minutes though ;)

Another annoyance was the dpad inventory it was so clunky to scroll through during combat that it could get you killed, if say you hit up to heal and when a bit left or right and ended up on the next item instead.

This series could have been great had it the budget and consistency and evolution between games. If they put out a strife game and it's not a big step up I won't be touching it.

• Advertisement

I started back into this again, but dropped the difficulty down to Easy just so I can get the story finished. It's too easy now, but I'm flying through it. Starting to see the change in Fury, so I'm looking forward to where it's going, but still the worst of the 3 by far.

Advertisement