Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike Giant Contend SL 2 Disc

Options
  • 02-05-2017 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

I know, I know, not another one of these threads, but you guys know a lot so I'd appreciate even a little input!

I've been cycling for the last 5 or 6 years on a single speed only. Covering 5-7,000km per annum. Mostly commuting but some longer excursions included too. So finally it's time to use my cycle to work scheme and get something a bit more well rounded.

So I will keep the singe speed, but I reckon I will use the new bike as my day to day bike. So commuting 30km per day, but with the chance for doing some weekend/evening spins up to Howth and such.

Disc brakes are the latest road fad, but I love the idea of them so that's what I'd like in my new bike. The local shop recommended this Giant Contend SL 2 disc:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-sl-2-disc

It's a small bit over what I thought I'd spend at 1250 but I think it's reasonably within range.

Are there any other options with similar spec? Or is this a decent way to go?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Looks like just the job, and sure bikes around the lower price points are all pretty much the same, Tiagra gears, Alu frame.. Disc hydraulic or cable brakes, and of course the old rim clamping brakes also...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Here's a Cube from CRC for €1200. Has the higher level 105 group compared to the Tiagra, but rim brakes instead of discs. The same cube with discs comes in at €1500.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-attain-sl-road-bike-2017/rp-prod154521

And here's a Cube with Tiagra and discs for €1300

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-attain-race-disc-road-bike-2017/rp-prod154517

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭youtheman

That's Giant link is confusing.  The photo shows mechanical discs (i.e. cable operated) but the specifications mentions hydraulic discs.  I have discs, and will never go back to rim brakes again.  But if I was you I'd only go for hydraulic discs.  With mechanical you still have cable stretch etc.  They are not the 'fully monty'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Here's a Cube from CRC for €1200. Has the higher level 105 group compared to the Tiagra, but rim brakes instead of discs. The same cube with discs comes in at €1500.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-attain-sl-road-bike-2017/rp-prod154521

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-attain-race-disc-road-bike-2017/rp-prod154517

I know it almost goes against the ethos of the forum here, but if the OP is going to use the bike as a day to day commuter, I'd recommend 10 speed over 11 speed simply for economy of replacement of worn components.

I've actually been eyeing up the same bike as a commuter upgrade myself, but the mentioned puzzle over cable vs. hydraulic brakes had me wondering. Even the mentioned hydraulic ones are a hybrid solution though, with cables to the stem, and hydraulic from there, but this allows for standard shifters to be used, and cable stretch over that length should be a minimal influence/factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

youtheman wrote: »
    That's Giant link is confusing.  The photo shows mechanical discs (i.e. cable operated) but the specifications mentions hydraulic discs.  I have discs, and will never go back to rim brakes again.  But if I was you I'd only go for hydraulic discs.  With mechanical you still have cable stretch etc.  They are not the 'fully monty'.
    cython wrote: »
    I know it almost goes against the ethos of the forum here, but if the OP is going to use the bike as a day to day commuter, I'd recommend 10 speed over 11 speed simply for economy of replacement of worn components.

I've actually been eyeing up the same bike as a commuter upgrade myself, but the mentioned puzzle over cable vs. hydraulic brakes had me wondering. Even the mentioned hydraulic ones are a hybrid solution though, with cables to the stem, and hydraulic from there, but this allows for standard shifters to be used, and cable stretch over that length should be a minimal influence/factor.

Yes it seems that this is a hybrid system, short cable from the shifters to the stem where there's a hydraulic system to drive the brakes. That does strike me as a bit odd, and is something that has me wondering about whether it's the right way to go. But given my budget, or lack there of, perhaps it's an okay compromise.

So from what I can gather, it's not necessarily a bad bike for what I intend to use it for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Yes it seems that this is a hybrid system, short cable from the shifters to the stem where there's a hydraulic system to drive the brakes. That does strike me as a bit odd, and is something that has me wondering about whether it's the right way to go. But given my budget, or lack there of, perhaps it's an okay compromise.

So from what I can gather, it's not necessarily a bad bike for what I intend to use it for?

A few posters have mentioned using a similar hybrid setup, albeit with a full length cable, and just hydraulic actuation and having positive experiences, so I don't think it's that much of a compromise really. That said I really don't like the "traditional" hydraulic levers (new DA has improved that), so may be biased as to how much compromise is acceptable :)

For the purposes you're describing though it seems pretty suitable, the only potential issue I'd have with it would be that I wouldn't mind a bit more clearance at the front fork for fatter tyres (having seen one in the flesh recently I'd guess 28s are the very upper limit you could run), as this might allow for better winter tyres, but maybe that would be running into CX territory!

cython wrote: »
    A few posters have mentioned using a similar hybrid setup, albeit with a full length cable, and just hydraulic actuation and having positive experiences, so I don't think it's that much of a compromise really. That said I really don't like the "traditional" hydraulic levers (new DA has improved that), so may be biased as to how much compromise is acceptable :)

For the purposes you're describing though it seems pretty suitable, the only potential issue I'd have with it would be that I wouldn't mind a bit more clearance at the front fork for fatter tyres (having seen one in the flesh recently I'd guess 28s are the very upper limit you could run), as this might allow for better winter tyres, but maybe that would be running into CX territory!

I've never run fat tyres, moved from 23 to 25 recently and I'm happy there. Wont go bigger!

Can you see any advantage to going with the cube with discs over the Giant? The spec sheet is very similar between the Giant and Cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

The main things I noticed are the 160mm disc rotors, which offer greater stopping power, and the Fulcrum/Conti wheel and tyre set. Someone may come up with whether the Giant ones are better/worse, as I honestly wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I plan on getting the same bike Alanstrainor but the SL1 version. I've done loads of research on similar bikes in the price range and keep coming back to it.

The main benefit of the Cube disc bike linked it is the cube has Thru Axles and a full shimano hydraulic brakes

The Giant has their own proprietary hydraulic system and quick release wheels

Just want to test ride one and make sure the brakes are okay. The hydraulic reservoir takes up some space on the handle bar but it comes with a specific garmin mount and go pro mount to alleviate this problem

This might be a concern if you like to attach lots of lights or other accessories to the front.

It also has eyelets for mudguards and a pannier rack. Another big selling point for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

This a great opportunity to buy a fixie - Genesis Flyer all the way. Best BTW on the market.

Mudguards and rack options along with 28 mm tyre clearance. And you can get around Howth with a bit of practice.

If I could afford a bigger house and a divorce I'd get one.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    This a great opportunity to buy a fixie - Genesis Flyer all the way. Best BTW on the market.

Mudguards and rack options along with 28 mm tyre clearance. And you can get around Howth with a bit of practice.

If I could afford a bigger house and a divorce I'd get one.

But I already have a fixie! Currently in single speed mode with a flip flop hub. Old bike will remain, but this is for everything else really.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'm still happy with the Giant SL 2. Budget is relatively tight, so 1250 is really pushing the budget already.

As for Tiagra vs 105, the question I've had is; would I really notice the difference between the two? I've been riding nothing besides a single speed for a long time, any gears at all will be a win! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

But I already have a fixie! Currently in single speed mode with a flip flop hub. Old bike will remain, but this is for everything else really.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'm still happy with the Giant SL 2. Budget is relatively tight, so 1250 is really pushing the budget already.

As for Tiagra vs 105, the question I've had is; would I really notice the difference between the two? I've been riding nothing besides a single speed for a long time, any gears at all will be a win! :pac:

No not really. Both work very well and smoothly and the only difference is that there will be slightly bigger gaps in the Tiagra cassette/gears.

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I looked at the Giant Contend, Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane and Cube Attain but ended up plumping for a Felt VR30. I had a max budget of €1400 but ended up buying the Felt for just shy of €1600. I was initially going to get the Tiagra version (VR40) for €200 less but decided to get the 105 version as it actually came with the saddle I planned on buying for it (€80 worth) and the tyres were much better and I figured when I added in the value of both saddle and tyres (roughly €130 worth) then it made sense to go for the 105 version....well at least that's what I tell myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

I'm thinking of getting into cycling. Out of interest, what do you guys think of the Cannondale Synapse Al Tiagra Disc 2017?

I was initially thinking of Giant Defy 2 Disc 2016, both bike and size is hard to come by so have abandoned that option.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Just an update to this thread. Picked up my Giant Contend SL 2 Disc yesterday evening. Bought it in Jimmys bike shop in Portmarnock and was impressed by the service. Have only cycled about 20kms on it so far, but I'm enjoying it! Such a huge difference coming from my singlespeed that I've ridden for the last 6 years or so. Have to keep reminding myself to change down a gear or two when things get tough! No need to mash the gears now!

And a big thanks to all the advice given here, it was very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 stephendowney

Just an update to this thread. Picked up my Giant Contend SL 2 Disc yesterday evening. Bought it in Jimmys bike shop in Portmarnock and was impressed by the service. Have only cycled about 20kms on it so far, but I'm enjoying it! Such a huge difference coming from my singlespeed that I've ridden for the last 6 years or so. Have to keep reminding myself to change down a gear or two when things get tough! No need to mash the gears now!

And a big thanks to all the advice given here, it was very much appreciated.

Sorry to reopen an old thread but I am also looking at the Contend SL 2 Disc for my commute.

Does it have eyelets for a rack and mudguards?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

ive an SL1 disc, i presume its the same frame.

someof my terminology might not be correct

it has eyelets for mudguards front and rear. there is a brake bridge eyelet
    it does not have eyelets near the seat for rack mounting so you will need p-clips or some other clamps

i have a rack on mine, but no mudguards. the rack i went for has a built in half guard.

i used 19mm pclips, they do the job but are slightly too large

just FYI, IMO the paint is not very hard wearing for a commuter bike. mine is in bits after abour 2000km , bare metal in loads of places

• Registered Users Posts: 22 stephendowney

site_owner wrote: »

just FYI, IMO the paint is not very hard wearing for a commuter bike. mine is in bits after abour 2000km , bare metal in loads of places

Thanks for advice and the FYI on the paint

I did see this thread, but I had no idea of the answer. I'll post back this evening after I cycle home.

Mine has covered maybe 2k km and I did notice some minor paint skuffs, but nothing too alarming. I might give the bike a once over to really look, I can't say I've paid too much attention to the paintwork to be honest!

But as a commuter I'm loving mine. The brakes are savage, I have tonnes of pad material left and the brakes are still very strong. I really don't have anything to complain about, it's still comfortable, it still shifts through the gears perfectly. Great bike.

Advertisement