Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bridge Proposal Meetings

• 02-05-2017 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

I was away for the meetings last week which I really wanted to attend. Did anyone attend them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Was this the 'City Engage' thingy? Didn't bother attending any of these as would be pretty pointless. I doubt any of these public consultations will have any impact on what the local authority end up doing ultimately anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I went to two of them. The Pecha Kucha event was very good. Various speakers talked about the river and their experience of it. The discussion afterwards was lively and fun and there was fairly unanimous agreement that the bridge in that location was a ridiculous idea.

Then on Thursday a woman from Failte Ireland gave a presentation where she outlined where the idea came from. It really showed how shallow their reasoning was. Basically, Limerick has a lovely river, and we want people to engage with it, so let's build a nice shiny bridge so as to provide a 'wow factor'. Needless to say, the audience groaned repeatedly throughout the presentation and she was eaten alive during the Q&A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote: »
    Was this the 'City Engage' thingy? Didn't bother attending any of these as would be pretty pointless. I doubt any of these public consultations will have any impact on what the local authority end up doing ultimately anyway.

Possibly. But bear in mind that the project has been handed to a newly-appointed city architect who does appear to be serious about consultation. And, besides, if people don't engage with the consultation efforts that are made, then they can't really give out about what eventually gets done.

Advertisement