Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

types of prescribed rights of way.

• 02-05-2017 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Is a prescribed right of way, through long use, interpreted for all types of use or just for the purpose for which it has been used?

for example, if a farmer was using someones private road to get to his fields for ploughing, spraying, harvesting etc., would that be interpreted as agricultural use only? Or would the farmer be allowed to develop that land for housing?

Also would the farmer be allowed make other openings to his fields along that right of way?

Thanks
    Wazzo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This is stone cold legal advice.

Speak to a solicitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Will leave it open for now for general discussion re rights of way and wayleaves etc. - subject to forum rule against legal advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I was hoping that my question was general enough and only used the farmer as an example to further explain my question. As I live in the countryside, rights of way are always a hot topic!! I'm merely curious as to the latitude of interpretation of prescribed rights of way.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Is a prescribed right of way, through long use, interpreted for all types of use or just for the purpose for which it has been used?

for example, if a farmer was using someones private road to get to his fields for ploughing, spraying, harvesting etc., would that be interpreted as agricultural use only? Or would the farmer be allowed to develop that land for housing?

Also would the farmer be allowed make other openings to his fields along that right of way?

Thanks
    Wazzo

Would making another "opening" not require some form of planning permission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Would making another "opening" not require some form of planning permission?

I thought I read somewhere that you don't need planning permission for a gateway to a public road if the public road is less then 4 metres wide.

But anyway this is not a public road, it's a private road so presumably you only need the permission of the roads owner at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

brian_t wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that you don't need planning permission for a gateway to a public road if the public road is less then 4 metres wide.

Read it here Planning Permission for new entrance to field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

The example I was using was for an new opening onto an existing private road where the farmer already had a prescribed right of way to a separate opening.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Thanks
    Wazzo
    I think to develop the field for housing, you'd have to upgrade the infrastructure over the right of way to meet the requisite standards for a road giving access to dwellings - proper surfacing and drainage, footpaths, two lanes, wide enough for fire tenders, etc, etc. It's very unlikely that the existing track meets this standard, and the farmer's right of way doesn't give him any right to do works like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Advertisement