Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need to register with PRTB if people are house sharing

Options
  • 02-05-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

If you have a 5 bed house and an individual as exclusive access to their bedroom and bathrooms,kitchens and dining rooms are shared. Do you have to register with the prtb?
    People come and go under house sharing and some do not stay for a year or more so im just wondering what type of laws apply to house sharing tenants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

"House sharing" or whatever you want to call it is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is if the landlord lives there or not.

If landlord lives there then the others are licensees. If the landlord does not live there then they are tenants and registration with prtb should happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is a complete mess. The RTB now regards a bedroom as a dwelling but if a bedroom is a dwelling it is in breach of the standards for rented dwellings regulations. Each dwelling is supposed to have a fridge, cooker,bathroom etc. It is a ludicrous state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

srsly78 wrote: »
    "House sharing" or whatever you want to call it is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is if the landlord lives there or not.

If landlord lives there then the others are licensees. If the landlord does not live there then they are tenants and registration with prtb should happen.

From a practical point of view, PRTB is a money racket.. I dont know if you ever register tenants yourself however its a joke what is and isnt allowed.. I cant see anything that specifies the need to register them as the other person mentioned, they dont have exclusive use of kitchens etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Fol20 wrote: »
    From a practical point of view, PRTB is a money racket.. I dont know if you ever register tenants yourself however its a joke what is and isnt allowed.. I cant see anything that specifies the need to register them as the other person mentioned, they dont have exclusive use of kitchens etc.

If you're the landlord, it would be sensible for you to go and get legal advice from a qualified professional.

You may discover you're operating under the misconception that your tenants are licensees.

The RTB has held that a bedroom is a dwelling. That has been upheld by the High Court. Non registration carries serious consequences. No tax relief and high penalties for late registration plus delay in having disputes settled.

• Advertisement

The RTB has held that a bedroom is a dwelling. That has been upheld by the High Court. Non registration carries serious consequences. No tax relief and high penalties for late registration plus delay in having disputes settled.

Do you have a reference number for this case?

The case below says otherwise.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/renting-rooms-seperately-need-to-register.150945/

http://www.irishlandlord.com/forum/forum/prtb/1363-renting-rooms-seperately-need-to-register

That decision was later held to have been wrongly decided.
    http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0/C44D283B4830252680257DB700404B8D

What section stats that, it mention one person who owned and second for a ll that may have been trying to skim the law a bit.. maybe i missed it but i dont any findings here. it just goes back to the fact that houses sharing is not not a self contained unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

srsly78 wrote: »

It is based on exclusive use. If you have someone 'renting' an apartment for 3 months and you have an agreement to have a cleaner in there every 2/3 weeks. They are a license, as they lack exclusive use of the property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

It is based on exclusive use. If you have someone 'renting' an apartment for 3 months and you have an agreement to have a cleaner in there every 2/3 weeks. They are a license, as they lack exclusive use of the property

Definitely not.

• Advertisement

davindub wrote: »
    Definitely not.

I think they are neither. Outside of realm of prtb and licensees are if owner occupier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

What section stats that, it mention one person who owned and second for a ll that may have been trying to skim the law a bit.. maybe i missed it but i dont any findings here. it just goes back to the fact that houses sharing is not not a self contained unit.

This topic is a regular. That case has been quoted on this forum before. So have the other RTB decisions. I am not going to make any other comment.

Advertisement