Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J4 Roundabout, Turvey

Options
  • 02-05-2017 1:02pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads-up to be careful on this roundabout when the roads are wet. On Sunday a family member was heading north on the roundabout when their car skidded, mounted the path and hit the wall, ending up facing back the way they'd come. We were a few minutes behind, and while we were there another three cars skidded. One hit the side of another family member's car which was parked near the first, then shunted into the back of our car.
    While we were there a Punto skidded and hit the kerb, and a Megane skidded and did a full 360 degree spin. None of these drivers were speeding.
    We had two cars towed, and one of the tow truck drivers said he'd already towed three cars from there earlier in the day. He said the tow truck itself had skidded a bit at one point. You couldn't make this stuff up.
    We called the Gardai and they said they'd contact Fingal Co. Council's out of hours service to have a look but there was no sign of them while we were there. They may have done something later.
    It was a miracle that nobody was killed, either in a car or walking to the bus stop just up from the roundabout on that side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Possible fuel spillage from a tanker maybe??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There must have been something other than water on the road, although it wasn't visible. One of the workers from Supermac came out initially to see if everyone was okay and she said that a car goes out of control at that spot at least once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

I reckon it's consistent fuel spillage coming from the filling station.

Heading southbound and exiting that roundabout my car consistently understeers upon applying anything but the lightest of acceleration in the wet or dry (tyres are good and reputable, before anyone asks :) ) I don't experience this lack of grip anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Had a similar experience a few years back at the same roundabout, it had rained after a good dry spell similar to what we're experiencing now and I was approaching the roundabout reasonably slowly (to allow for conditions) and an Octavia booted down my outside (albeit I still felt he would have washed off enough speed) and when he went to go around the roundabout, he looped it.

That said, it does feel lower grip than other roundabouts and I tend to get a lot of understeer even when not pushing on in the left lane.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I cycle as well as drive round that roundabout regularly. Can't say I've noticed any particular problems and I suspect this may have been an isolated incident involving a fuel spillage.

One point I would note is you approach the roundabout in both directions on the R125 on a downward slope which may catch some people unawares in wet conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

It happened to me about couple of year's ago,I was driving toward's Lusk,when the car spun off/slid sideways up on to the path and luckily the wall and railing was not there,because the left front wheel ended up wedged in side the wall/hanging down over the edge of the footpath.
    Broken wishbone on the left drive,was expensive 500 euro's it cost iirc.
    Luckily a lad from Stateside towing in Rush was passing at the time in a huge 4 wheel drive,pulled it off the road and path to make it safe,and was on his way home ,he went and got the tow truck and brought the car home for me.
    I have breakdown cover with the RAC ,number in phone and on sticker on windscreen.
    I seen a woman broken down in the outer lane of the M 50,last week ,just under the bridge,what a place to have to stop,it would not have been too bad if she had made to the hard shoulder side or inner lane.
    Is there a number to ring ? on the M 50 if something like that happen's,once seen a double mattress in the middle lane at Ballymun,rang the Garda in Ballymun to tell them,the guard asked me was there anybody on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

I dunno if this is from fuel spills, a very similar thing kept happening on the N32 a few years ago (before the new garage was built) at the roundabout for Bewleys hotel. Every time it rained the roundabout was lethal and you'd literally have to crawl around it.

I think the final straw came one day about 4 years ago when I saw a jeep that ended up on its roof after they lost control. They basically resurfaced the roundabout with a different kind of material, like so.

https://www.google.ie/maps/search/n32/@53.4106293,-6.2168831,3a,75y,282.33h,84.5t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szETcHV2xSs93Z2kN7mcCBg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DzETcHV2xSs93Z2kN7mcCBg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D326.03174%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The roundabout on the way into Baldoyle on the coast road had a layer of anti-skid material applied to it last week after several cyclists reported coming down on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hopefully they'll resurface the road at the Turvey roundabout because there's a bus stop just yards from where cars hit the wall when they skid off going northbound. People walk from the garage to that bus stop daily, and it's pure luck that there's been nobody walking at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Yep, I remember that old surface well as I was driving on it a few weeks after buying a BMW and it had rained that morning and I wasn't pushing it through the roundabout and the car kicked sideways (manageable thankfully) on the damp surface.

• Advertisement
Advertisement