Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post D&C advice

Options
  • 02-05-2017 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I had a D&C on 21st April (should have been heading for 11 weeks pregnant) after finding out on 10th that I had a silent miscarriage and I can't really seem to find any answers to some of the questions that I have.

I'm still feeling like I'm pregnant, I still have what feels like period cramps or uterus growth cramps. My bleeding stopped last Friday/Saturday so it's not like there is anything else happening, just these pains - they aren't bad pains at all, more like a small ache really. Also, I have chronic back pain that starts in the morning and gradually eases out during the day but it's so bad that I can hardly walk to start with. I have to take 2 Solpadeine and do some back stretches before I can function. Is all this normal?? The back pain started the week before we found out about the miscarriage so I just took it that it would go once I had the D&C but it's still there.

I know you can't give medical advice here, I just want to know if anyone else who had a D&C had any of this or should I just bit the bullet and to to my GP? My consultant was fantastic but I was so groggy after the op and none of this occurred to me, I just thought I would feel not pregnant afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

First if all sorry for your loss..

I had a d and c,and the only pain I had was in the first few days after...after that I was grand.
    That doesn't sound right,id definitely go to gp,maybe there's an infection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I was fully recovered from my d&c within 24 hours (except emotionally).
    Definitely go to your gp or the maternity er. My preference would probably be the er.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 babybaby2017

I would have had a pain in my side but this only lasted a few days. id def go to the doc to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

I had a sort of ache for a few days after but no pain - I would go to the doctor - GP might be easier mentally

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

So I went to the GP yesterday and all is ok. I don't have an infection thankfully. She said it's all caused by the hormones still in my system, including the back pain. I don't have a temperature, smelly discharge or bleeding which is good. No pain in urinating either. She did a full check on my abdomen and also a urine test and all is ok. The bloating is just caused by swelling in the uterus which can still be there a few weeks after the D&C.

I'm glad I went though, I was worried in case there was something else wrong and if I ignored it I could cause other problems.

Thanks everyone for your replies, there is so little information about post-D&C issues out there, I just wasn't sure if something was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Meathcat7 wrote: »
    So I went to the GP yesterday and all is ok. I don't have an infection thankfully. She said it's all caused by the hormones still in my system, including the back pain. I don't have a temperature, smelly discharge or bleeding which is good. No pain in urinating either. She did a full check on my abdomen and also a urine test and all is ok. The bloating is just caused by swelling in the uterus which can still be there a few weeks after the D&C.

I'm glad I went though, I was worried in case there was something else wrong and if I ignored it I could cause other problems.

Thanks everyone for your replies, there is so little information about post-D&C issues out there, I just wasn't sure if something was wrong.

Glad you got some peace of mind that it's 'normal' to feel as you are

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

So sorry for your loss :(

Advertisement