Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agent question

Options
  • 02-05-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Renting an aparmtent in Limerick and our letting agent is useless. He is barely in his office, doesn't respond to texts or emails and usually never answers the phone. Our contract recently experied and he said he would send us a new one with the new rent price but hasn't done that yet and we have to pay rent today. On top of that there have been various problems since we moved in that he hasn't sorted either. I tried before asking him if he could give me some contact details for the actual owners of the apartment but he just said you can contact me. I would like to be able to contact the owners not only because we are sufering but he is clearly not looking after their property for them either. This is not the onyl case either, a friend of mine runs a commerical property that is usuing the same letting agent and he doesn't do anything there either and at the time I was there last hadn't even taken away the for let signs that my friend had to take down and store himself.

I was just wondering if he can refuse to give me contact details for the actual landlord?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just keep paying the old rent. You don't need a new lease every year you're on Part IV.

On problems open a case with the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

coolguyrko wrote: »
    Our contract recently experied and he said he would send us a new one with the new rent price but hasn't done that yet and we have to pay rent today.
    Just keep paying the old rent. You don't need a new lease every year you're on Part IV.
    Further to that, how long are you in the property, and when was the amount of rent last changed? I ask, as AFAIK, the LL can only increase it every two years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

coolguyrko wrote: »
    Renting an aparmtent in Limerick and our letting agent is useless. He is barely in his office, doesn't respond to texts or emails and usually never answers the phone. Our contract recently experied and he said he would send us a new one with the new rent price but hasn't done that yet and we have to pay rent today. On top of that there have been various problems since we moved in that he hasn't sorted either. I tried before asking him if he could give me some contact details for the actual owners of the apartment but he just said you can contact me. I would like to be able to contact the owners not only because we are sufering but he is clearly not looking after their property for them either. This is not the onyl case either, a friend of mine runs a commerical property that is usuing the same letting agent and he doesn't do anything there either and at the time I was there last hadn't even taken away the for let signs that my friend had to take down and store himself.

I was just wondering if he can refuse to give me contact details for the actual landlord?

Just keep constantly ringing his phone. He will soon answer it! Send him repeated texts. Go to his office if possible, meet face to face - best wat to sort this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Sent letters of complaint and emails also. keep copies. there is no good going to the RTB without a paper trail. When a case opens against the owner at the RTB the agent will probably be fired afterwards if the owner is ordered to pay compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

What kind of issues is he not looking after.
    I have an agent employed and his job is to look after the property. If he doesn't he will be fired. But only the essentials and as cheaply as possible. He will also be fired though if the tenants ever contacted me personally. It's his job to deal with them. That's what he is paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you sure the letting agent has a management contract? It's separate to letting and is charged separately. Many people assume the letting agent will manage the property but it's not automatic.

You are entitled to your landlord's contact details, they should have been in your lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your landlord is the agent, i believe its their contact details you are entitled to, not necessarily the property owners.

You don't need a new contract.

What are the other problems ... tell us before going to the RTB because maybe they are things you should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Your landlord is the agent, i believe its their contact details you are entitled to, not necessarily the property owners.

Not necessarily. A letting agent finds tenants for landlords for a fee, the landlord is still the landlord. In some cases the landlord pays the agent another fee to manage the property and deal with the tenant. Not always. If no management fee is paid the letting agent has no responsibility for the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

athtrasna wrote: »
    Not necessarily. A letting agent finds tenants for landlords for a fee, the landlord is still the landlord. In some cases the landlord pays the agent another fee to manage the property and deal with the tenant. Not always. If no management fee is paid the letting agent has no responsibility for the property.

I'm assuming because the op didn't say that the agent didn't explain this to them that they are indeed managing the property for the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

athtrasna wrote: »
    If no management fee is paid the letting agent has no responsibility for the property.

Correct. But in that case, the letting agent would be quick to say "Not my problem, call XYZ" to the tenant. Usually they'd be very quick to make sure that the contact details of the LL or the managing agent were in the lease - just to cut down unnecessary calls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement