Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scroll saw amateur - any tips?

• 02-05-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks. I bought a Clarke CSS400B 16" Scroll Saw for a specific project - however I'm having major difficulty trying to cut anything to shape, the blade runs off constantly and I'm trying to move the wood constantly to cut in a straight line. I'm moving the wood as slowly as possible but it still cuts off.

I bought the saw to cut 18mm pine board into various shapes. I know this isn't the thinnest material to be cutting, but I didn't expect it to run off so much.

I'v tried to adjust the blade etc, I just can't get it cut in a stable way.

Is there anything I can try to improve performance? Or have I just bought a particularly badly made product? Any other recommendations for a saw or a solution to cut 18mm pine board? The designs I am cutting are intricate in some areas but generally have a swooping curve.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Is the blade tensioned properly with the teeth facing down ? It must also be plumb between the two arms. Even so, 18 mm board is testing the limits of any scroll saw. If the curves are not too tight you could try a coping saw blade ( made for scroll saws ) . Thicker materials need constant pressure on the table to stop them jumping on the upstroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The carpentry store in Naas run scroll saw demo's, they also sell a good range of proxxon blades for scroll and coping saws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

recipio wrote: »
    Is the blade tensioned properly with the teeth facing down ? It must also be plumb between the two arms. Even so, 18 mm board is testing the limits of any scroll saw. If the curves are not too tight you could try a coping saw blade ( made for scroll saws ) . Thicker materials need constant pressure on the table to stop them jumping on the upstroke.

Hi. Iv changed out the blade to the heaviest one and made sure there is enough tension. This has really helped with controlling the blade now. It seems difficult for it to cut anything more intricate but I will now experiment with smaller blades.

Iv ordered Olsen blades as they are getting good reviews

Advertisement