Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction query

Options
  • 02-05-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I've received an infraction for accusing another user of lying.
    The moderator in question stated that I had to prove the person was lying.
    As the person claimed a number of politicians SAID something (they absolutely did not) it is not possible for me to prove that they did not say it. The onus must surely be on him to prove what he said they said.

His assertion related to Pres Obama and senior members of US intel stating that Wikileaks had no connection to Russia. They said no such thing.

The issue is a little larger in that supporters of Trump/Putin/Wikileaks are making statements they know to be false just in order to tie up a thread in order to counter them.

They can make these statements in the full knowledge that it is difficult to counter and if people do counter the objective of derailing teh trhead is already achieved.

The poster in question as far as I see always posts spurious assertions from dodgy sites, or fake news outlets when not stating outright falehoods.

Therefore calling him out on his lie is a fair call.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi demfad, have you attempted to resolve this via PM with the mod who infracted you, per step 1 in the flow-chart above?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Toots wrote: »
    Hi demfad, have you attempted to resolve this via PM with the mod who infracted you, per step 1 in the flow-chart above?

Yes. He suggested, moving it on here.

Edit:

This is the thread in question.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057679097&page=38

Just to note the false statement has caused 8 replies already which is evidence of potentially using disinformation as derailment tactic.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OK, just looking at this and I see that the post that earned you the infraction is this one
    demfad wrote: »
    This is a bald faced lie. Can you please substantiate this comment or else perhaps remove it and stop spreading disinformation?

and the Politics Forum Charter specifically states:
    Allegations of lying are taken very seriously. Simply calling someone a liar is not acceptable without proof, the onus is on you to provide the proof that they are deliberately and intentionally trying to deceive.

If you had posted something like "Can you provide evidence to back up your comment?" or even "Can you please substantiate this comment?" that would have been fine, however you called the poster a liar, which is against the Charter. If you suspected the poster was lying, then you should have either A) reported the post and explained why the post was lies, or B) posted proof in the thread that his statement was false/incorrect. Same goes for dodgy links - report them and let the mods deal with it.

In this instance, I'm upholding the infraction.

Toots wrote: »
    OK, just looking at this and I see that the post that earned you the infraction is this one

and the Politics Forum Charter specifically states:

If you had posted something like "Can you provide evidence to back up your comment?" or even "Can you please substantiate this comment?" that would have been fine, however you called the poster a liar, which is against the Charter. If you suspected the poster was lying, then you should have either A) reported the post and explained why the post was lies, or B) posted proof in the thread that his statement was false/incorrect. Same goes for dodgy links - report them and let the mods deal with it.

In this instance, I'm upholding the infraction.

That takes several posts. As Ive explained reporting it and let the mod deal with it is absolutely fine with the person posting lies: it means that the goal of derailing the thread has succeeded.

I started that thread and will leave it now. Russian interference in elections is too ironic given that Russian supporting trolls continuously suceed in derailing it!

demfad wrote: »
    That takes several posts. As Ive explained reporting it and let the mod deal with it is absolutely fine with the person posting lies: it means that the goal of derailing the thread has succeeded.

That's something that needs to be discussed on the Help Desk with the admins.

• Advertisement

Ok, Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement