Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud GPU Fans

Options
  • 02-05-2017 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently upgraded and got an XFX 480 8gb card

Card is whisper quiet when just browsing or watching videos however when playing games (Shadow of Mordor - Avg50fps at 1440p High Settings. Card hits about 80c) the fans kick in and are really really loud.

I had a 960 before that was reasonably quiet even under full load so this is new to me.

Should the fans be that loud at full load ?
    Is there anything I can do to help ? Do I need to change the max fan speed in Wattman ? Or do i change the fan curve ?

My case is a Fractal Nano S, there are 2 intakes on the front and an exhause on the back.
    The PSU covers on of the fans but the other one hangs over the floor of the case.

I had the same issue in my old case Phenom ITX

Would it be worthwhile putting another intake fan on the floor of the case ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Change the fan curve.

Also helps to try lowering the voltage going into the GPU; I read RX 480 owners who got better overclocks (MHz) once they dropped the v-core down, as the cards would stop thermal throttling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Just fixed an issue like this today. But before you do anything what kind of temps are you getting atm?

I was getting loud GPU fan noise recently so decided to redo the thermal paste,
    it made a big difference to my temp, down about 10 degrees from yesterday.

I though I was sorted but when testing it I was getting a kind of 'resonance
    rattle' whenever the GPU fans would hit a certain speed, very annoying.
    So after a bit of googling I decided to put small thin piece of rubber under each of the GPU fan mounts and now no more fan rattle at all. :)

Video of procedure I followed here;

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its Loud and Hot:
    - Dusty/clogged
    - Air starved
    - Clocked too high
    - Crap cooler

One of these has to be the case. Was the 960 an extractor style (Intake from one end and exhausting out the PCI bracket) or a blower style like the XFX?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I run my one at 1080p but it rarely gets above 60 so there could be a case issue? It's not a quiet card in the 50% range anyway, when I stress tested it after I got it it was like an airplane so I don't think it's a practical card to be maxing out long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

ED E wrote: »
    If its Loud and Hot:
    - Dusty/clogged
    - Air starved
    - Clocked too high
    - Crap cooler

One of these has to be the case. Was the 960 an extractor style (Intake from one end and exhausting out the PCI bracket) or a blower style like the XFX?

The 960 was a blower style

Its def not dusty - brand new
    Air starved - Not sure on this. It was close to the case side in my old case and making a racket so I thought in the Nano S it might improve but its the same
    Clocked too high - I haven't changed any setting yet in Wattman
    Crap Cooler - Hoping its not this
    Moon54 wrote: »
    Just fixed an issue like this today. But before you do anything what kind of temps are you getting atm?

I'm getting around 30c just browsing, youtube etc
    Its hits 80c when I run benchmarks or when I'm playing games. It holds steady at 80/82c though
    2ndcoming wrote: »
    I run my one at 1080p but it rarely gets above 60 so there could be a case issue? It's not a quiet card in the 50% range anyway, when I stress tested it after I got it it was like an airplane so I don't think it's a practical card to be maxing out long term.

Thats described mine perfectly, once its put under pressure it sounds like a turbine

• Advertisement

My 7870 is similarly loud. Kinda like using an evacuation chamber if you've ever been in a lab with one.

Its not a high power card, but the cooler sucks with a crappy fan.

I'm not sure which version you have:

trustedreviews: - Reference
    PROS

Excellent 1080p performance
    Decent 1440p performance
    Cheapest VR-ready GPU
    CONS

Slightly noisy under load
    Not that much faster than a GTX 970

overclockersclub: - GTR
    Pros:
    Performance
    Hard Swap fans
    Cooling performance
    Visuals
    3+2 year warranty

Cons:
    No RGB

From a glance, the GTs have a good cooling solution but the reference ones under cooled. If you have the latter, buy an aftermarket cooler or downclock.

My 7870 is similarly loud. Kinda like using an evacuation chamber if you've ever been in a lab with one.

From a glance, the GTs have a good cooling solution but the reference ones under cooled. If you have the latter, buy an aftermarket cooler or downclock.

I've the GTR Black Edition
    http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-480-gtr-black-8gb-dd-led-rx-480p8dba6

Same card just 1288 vs 1338 core.

Looks like a fine unit. 60c after extended heaven.

That leaves case airflow, unless its a lemon or badly mounted cooler from the factory. Can you test it with the side off?

Same card just 1288 vs 1338 core.

Looks like a fine unit. 60c after extended heaven.

That leaves case airflow, unless its a lemon or badly mounted cooler from the factory. Can you test it with the side off?

I'll run some heaven benchmarks with it later and post the scores ?
    Should I run 1080 as well as 1440 to compare ?

Resolution shouldnt matter, will only use more memory as the GPU is 100% load on either test.

Run heaven for 30 mins with case closed, take temp, stop test, remove case side, test for a further 30 and take temp. If airflow is the issue it'll be very obvious.

BTW, your PSU is blocking most of one of the cards fans right? Thats the con of small cases.

• Advertisement

BTW, your PSU is blocking most of one of the cards fans right? Thats the con of small cases.

Its only blocking one fan but there is a gap between the PSU and that fan

Resolution shouldnt matter, will only use more memory as the GPU is 100% load on either test.

Run heaven for 30 mins with case closed, take temp, stop test, remove case side, test for a further 30 and take temp. If airflow is the issue it'll be very obvious.

Ran heaven and hit 74 with the side on and 72 with it open ( had the wrong temps when I posted earlier

In both tests the fans were over 3000rpm

Where do I go now ?
    Custom fan curve ?
    reapply thermal paste ?

Try a fan curve that lets it go up to 85*C before going above 60% speed, see how that does.

Try a fan curve that lets it go up to 85*C before going above 60% speed, see how that does.

Assume I can't do that in Wattman ? What would you recommend ?
    Sorry for all the questions

Never mind, set the max speed to 2500rpm and it quieter but the temps are closer to 76/8

I wonder should I reapply the paste to see if the temps will go under 70c?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

will56 wrote: »
    Assume I can't do that in Wattman ? What would you recommend ?
    Sorry for all the questions

Never mind, set the max speed to 2500rpm and it quieter but the temps are closer to 76/8

I wonder should I reapply the paste to see if the temps will go under 70c?

You can indeed check out adored tv hes got some tutorials on that, which are very easy to follow.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Change the fan curve.

Also helps to try lowering the voltage going into the GPU; I read RX 480 owners who got better overclocks (MHz) once they dropped the v-core down, as the cards would stop thermal throttling.

Did this before trying to change the Thermal paste
    I dropped the voltage in states 6 and 7 to 1100mV and adjusted the fan speed to max at 2500rpm
    Let heaven run for 30 mins and it hasn't past 70c and the fans are in or around 2500rpm
    Frequency is holding at 1310 as well

Did some reading on Reddit and it seems that the 480s perform better with an underclock but I can't drop mine as low as some users - 1050. Heaven and wattman crash after a few seconds at anything under 1100.

Might tinker with the fans a bit more to see can I improve the sound.

Thanks everyone for the help :D

** Played Shadow of Mordor for about an hour last night, fans got up to 2600rpm, temps stayed in Mid 70s with FPS avg about 52 **

Advertisement