Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2/3 night stay with family in Waterford city - please advise on hotels

Options
  • 02-05-2017 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

I welcome any advice/tips.

A family arriving in Waterford city for a 2 or 3 night stay, coming from the Rosslare ferry, travelling by car. Two adults, two children aged 3, 6.

I have the following quotes from hotel websites for 3 nights, starting Mon 10-Jul.

The leisure centre is not a make-or-break.

Fitzwilton = 365 BB

Treacys = 303 pay in advance, 318

Dooleys = 109 RO, 149 BB

Granville = 373

Tower = 3*150 = 450

Marina = 129 RO, 154 BB

So Treacys is cheapest at 101, and has a pool, but.....

The Fitzwilton is modern, and 365 BB isn't bad against 450 in Tower and Marina.

I welcome any advice.............can't make up my mind...........

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Geuze wrote:

The Tower is the best of them if the money isn't an issue . Personally wouldn't go to Treacys. Granville is lovely.
    Have you tried the woodlands hotel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Geuze wrote: »

A family arriving in Waterford city for a 2 or 3 night stay, coming from the Rosslare ferry, travelling by car. Two adults, two children aged 3, 6.

I have the following quotes from hotel websites for 3 nights, starting Mon 10-Jul.

Fitzwilton = 365 BB

Dooleys = 109 RO, 149 BB

Granville = 373

Tower = 3*150 = 450

Marina = 129 RO, 154 BB

I’d avoid Treacys. There is a reason why it is the cheapest!

Any of the others you list would be fine.

Have a look at Waterford Castle and Faithlegg as well. Probably a bit more expensive but have large grounds that would suit a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭goochy

what about the Viking on Cork road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks for all the advice.

I would prefer to be close to city centre, so as to be able to walk to pubs at night.

I hadn't heard of the Viking, thanks. It's 114 BB pn.

I see it's 5km from the Quays, so that's off the list.

The Travelodge is 2km from the Quays.

Have you tried the woodlands hotel ?

370 for two nights.

4.5-5km from Quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

If you are coming from Rosslaire are you driving? if so getting to the city centre is straight forward if you are out at the viking, there is the woodlands and that has a bus route on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Treacys has been refurbished about 7 years ago, I know, coz I worked there for the refurb. If you were considering a travel lodge, then Treacys will suit you, it has a gym and pool and is on the quay in the middle of everything and it would be quieter down that part of the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I'd go Tower for location, pool and free parking

• Registered Users Posts: 40 KP81

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Tower is probably the best suited for kids. Assuming you're going for a family room, they're located far away from the noise of the bar/ballroom. Parking at the back is handy (although could be hard to find space if you arrive late in the evening and there's a wedding on) and the use of pool is always a nice way to spend a few hours.

Treacy's is actually great value but attracts a lot of stags and hens at that price point so the bar tends to be quite busy into the early hours. That being said, the staff are fantastic and would probably have no problem putting you in a room that would be far away from the noise.

• Advertisement

I ended up ringing the Fitzwilton, with a query about their website booking.

Got a family room for 210 for 2 nights BB, better than the website rates.

I will return later with a query about pubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Fitzwilton = 365 BB

Dooleys = 109 RO, 149 BB

Granville = 373

Tower = 3*150 = 450

Marina = 129 RO, 154 BB

Sorry dude, but... You're going to be so pissed after spending that money to come here.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Sosurface wrote: »
    Sorry dude, but... You're going to be so pissed after spending that money to come here.lol

Will be sorry if he meets a miserable ***** like you I'd imagine, otherwise unless he is born of negativity or without any sense of imagination or adventure he will have a great time.

thomasm wrote: »
    Will be sorry if he meets a miserable ***** like you I'd imagine, otherwise unless he is born of negativity or without any sense of imagination or adventure he will have a great time.
    Thanks hun. x x x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I ended up ringing the Fitzwilton, with a query about their website booking.

Got a family room for 210 for 2 nights BB, better than the website rates.

I will return later with a query about pubs.

You'll get a lot of lads on here recommending their local spots, which can be grand, but pubs wise you should check out Tully's, Geoffs, Walsh's, Davy Mac's, The Reg, The Munster, the Gingerman and Philly Grimes if you like a good choice of beer. Revolution have also done up the place so that might be worth a look.

What kind of pub do you like so that I can give you better advice. And don't mind muttonhead, the above comment is typical of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

First thing, ignore everything sosurface posts...just take a glance at his posts to see consistent name calling, racism and spreading his misery.

Tower or Granville would be my recommendations.best locations, best for families IMO.don't know much about marina, in there once but I'd guess its pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Did the Waterford and Suir valley railway today...absolutely fantastic.OP, lots of good things to do with family here.the negative moronic comment from another poster is what is...moronic and not the reality.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Did the Waterford and Suir valley railway today...absolutely fantastic.OP, lots of good things to do with family here.the negative moronic comment from another poster is what is...moronic and not the reality.

You seem awful put out all the same Barlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Sosurface wrote: »
    Think maybe you need to get out more,
    Today i was out in saleens, beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, watching the birds diving into the water after fish, group of kids learning to water ski, elderly gent and his wife came down an launched their speedboat and gave it the beans across the bay, hooked into a fish myself (lost it) decided to go home, ten minuts later i was back at home in the city,
    Cant think of anywhere else i would rather have been.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK less of the personal insults or bans will be dished out. Stick to the subject at hand

• Advertisement
Advertisement