Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small device needed for 'dumb' TV

Options
  • 02-05-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

We have a second TV that we haven't used in ages, but we have now moved it so want to start using it. We're looking for a device to connect, needs the following:
    • Netflix (must)
    • Youtube (must)
    • Streaming from devices, e.g. DLNA (must)
    • Anything else is a nice to have.
    Obviously a chromecast comes to mind, but I was looking at the Fire TV stick also, there's a difference of about €15 and it has the bonus of adding Kodi.

Is the fire TV stick a good choice here? I won't be using any of the Amazon services, everything else should work fine though, right? Or is there something else I could pick up for a similar price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

Chromecast is a great device, but you're more tied to your phone.
    The Fire stick works on its own and has a remote, so it feels more like a smart TV.

I've a first gen one, and am really pleased I got it. I don't use Prime, music or anything like it.
    I do use Spotify which works well with the fire stick too. Netflix and Youtube are perfect.

If you have an old half decent phone, you might look at getting a cable to attach it permanently to the TV.
    It could give you everything any android box will give you for the price of a small adapter like MHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I have both the Fire TV stick and the chromecast.

Assuming your TV has a HDMI port available, go with the Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I have both the Fire TV stick and the chromecast.

Assuming your TV has a HDMI port available, go with the Fire.

Sound. Does the new fire TV stick run from a TV USB port?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Mine does run from a tv usb port. However, for optimum viewing of both YouTube and Some other sources eg BBC iplayer, power from a wall socket is preferred. Perhaps more recent sticks are better able to run off the tv than earlier ones. ???

Advertisement