Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell XPS 13 QHD or FHD?

• 02-05-2017 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, in the market for a new laptop and have zeroed in on the Dell XPS 13 which I'm going to buy from the Dell outlet store. Haven't really kept up to date with tech developments over the last few years so looking for advice on whether I should go for the QHD or FHD screen. I've decided I'm not interested in touch so the big choice for me is between the screens? Would I notice the extra quality of a QHD on a 13 inch laptop or would the added battery life of the FHD be of more benefit to me? :confused::confused: Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

All depends on what you're going to be using it for. If you can see the higher resolution being a big advantage then go for it. But the 1080p panel gets great reviews too. So I wouldn't be overly concerned on the screen front.

For me, who would want the best screen for photography and editing I'd be checking out the colour reproduction for each panel, and probably decide on that. I believe both screens actually score we here, but I haven't looked up reviews in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have a QHD screen on my work laptop (which is a Dell XPS), some colleagues have an older XPS with 1080p screen. I don't think you'd notice it in normal use TBH... If the cost is close then go with the better, but I wouldn't bother paying a whole lot more for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some one in the family has a 4K laptop. Personally I'd prefer the FHD with better battery life and less weight.

Only issue is the 4K screens tend to be good quality. The FHD can vary a bit. So if getting a FHd screen, read some reviews of it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Similar question :)

I'm getting a Precision M7510 as a warranty replacement for an older M3800. The existing one comes with a QHD Touchscreen, whereas the new model has either a FHD Touch or QHD non-Touch.

So which would you go for? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you use it for consuming lots of media the touch. if not and weight was an issue then non touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Also, check the software you mainly use will display correcetly. Some of mine doesn't which is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sorted... turns out they're giving me a new Precision 5520 instead with the UHD Touch option, a quad core i7, 4GB Quadro video card, and 16GB DDR4 RAM :)

Not bad for what was a €600 second-hand laptop

Advertisement