Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on car insurance refund eligibility

Options
  • 02-05-2017 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

I'm looking for some opinions here:

I recently signed up for car insurance with its4women (they were cheapest), when signing up I said I had 4 years irish no claims (true - from 2015) and my insurance was up on 08.Apr (true, but it was in Germany) and paid something like 200€ and set up a DD. I went on vacation on 07.Apr and notified them via their web portal that the last 2 years driving was in Germany and wished to cancel within the 14 day initial grace period and would send back any documents when back from holidays. Obviously rejected. I sent them back 5 days late.

I know technically I didn't get the documents back in time as I was away for the first 18 days of the policy but should I be allowed to notify within the time frame and follow with the documents?

I know it would be the case that if I had an accident during that time without uploading the required documents, that they wouldn't insure me so why wouldn't it work back the other way that I can't claim the insurance never started and is null and voided?

I know it's a money making business but this feels like a nonsense stance when they were notified via their own logged in web portal. I just gave them 200€ for nothing.

Anyway to try and get that money back?

Opinions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That company is notorious for having truly awful admin systems, their first 'response' to every request appears to be to ignore it.

So the rights and wrongs of your position are really neither here nor there, you will have an uphill battle dealing with them and if they can apply the letter of the law and find that the terms of the agreement are in their favour, they will do so. Don't expect one iota of goodwill or understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WaccaWacca

Yeah I was in a rush to get things sorted before going away and failed to read up about them. My own fault, I'm usually more thorough than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I cannot access their website to read the actual terms and conditions that relate to cancellation.

The Ts & Cs govern your contractual rights and obligations. Look carefully at what is actually specified as being the necessary action(s) to effect a valid cancellation.

I would look on the notice of cancellation and the return of documentation to the insurer as separate transactions or two elements of the same process. Does the contract specify that the documents must be returned within a specific period to the insurers to make the cancellation valid ?

Advertisement