Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic SLR Bearings Adjustment

Options
  • 02-05-2017 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hello all.

I have just noticed while serving my bike on the stand that the rear wheel (Mavic SLRs) was not spinning freely for long. Front was fine.

I got out the handy Mavic tool and loosened the free hub. It now spins a lot longer than before.

Basically, I am wondering if having the free hub too tight before, slowed me down speed wise or does it make any difference at all?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

I have mavic SLS wheels and found that yes by loosening the bearing adjuster they appeared to spin better, but reading mavics own instructions and researching other forums I now adjust /tighten gradually until no sideways movement can be felt then loosen a quarter turn or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Sammy96

ninoon wrote: »
    I have mavic SLS wheels and found that yes by loosening the bearing adjuster they appeared to spin better, but reading mavics own instructions and researching other forums I now adjust /tighten gradually until no sideways movement can be felt then loosen a quarter turn or so.

Ok thanks, so a wheel that doesn't spin much on the freehub won't impact speed? I noticed it spun a lot better on the stand when i loosened the bearings adjuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Sammy96 wrote: »
    Ok thanks, so a wheel that doesn't spin much on the freehub won't impact speed? I noticed it spun a lot better on the stand when i loosened the bearings adjuster.

I have a set of Mavic SLR's
    There would be some slight resistance with bearings , freehub when tight. If you did adjusted it up to the last the freehub wouldn't move so there must be resistance. Loosing it too much allows too much movement especially when climbing you will hear brake rub.
    Adjust it on the bike with the skewer tightened you will have the correct pressure on the bearings to adjust accordingly. I tighten it up just when I notice the wheel is not spinning freely enough and then anti-clockwise a slight turn at a time.

Advertisement