Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing weight.

• 02-05-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi folks

Just need a wee bit of advice if you will, Im currently Heavy 19st at the moment, Im only young too and need to lose weight. just want to tell you my diet at the moment;
    Breakfast: No food, Just tea
    Lunch: Chicken deli bits, Butter, 2 slices of brown bread, and lettuce.
    Dinner: Depends but normally Roast chicken, with vegetables. (Somtimes have beans)
    Snacks: Raisens.
    Drinks: Water 2l-4l, a lot of Tea!
    Im trying to stay away with Spuds even though I do have them once a week. Ive lately started to Get Fulfil protein bars.. I've only had 1 per day but I think that's too much ? As its hard not to have anything sweet as I've had a bad diet over the years. I know there probably not the best but are better than anything I could find
    Exercise wise I walk fast pace 2km 5 days a week, And Then for 5 days I do HITT workouts ( I can link if you want) I do 30 minutes as they really do kill me. What do you think of my diet? I currently want to lose 5 stone, But I want to lose 2-3 stone at home before going to a gym!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Porxywa wrote: »
    Hi folks

Just need a wee bit of advice if you will, Im currently Heavy 19st at the moment, Im only young too and need to lose weight. just want to tell you my diet at the moment;
    Dinner: Depends but normally Roast chicken, with vegetables. (Somtimes have beans)
    Im trying to stay away with Spuds even though I do have them once a week. Ive lately started to Get Fulfil protein bars.. I've only had 1 per day but I think that's too much ?
    Exercise wise I walk fast pace 2km 5 days a week, And Then for 5 days I do HITT workouts ( I can link if you want) I do 30 minutes as they really do kill me. What do you think of my diet? I currently want to lose 5 stone, But I want to lose 2-3 stone at home before going to a gym!

I'd stay away from deli foods if you are trying to lose weight. Pack your own lunch, some sort of combination of brown rice, or brown pasta with grilled chicken breast and whatever greens you like.

Roast chicken and veg is a good dinner but I'd mix it up to make sure you are getting a wide range of macronutrients.

No need to avoid potatoes, they are relatively low calorie clean carbohydrate, as long as you are not eating massive portions and in moderation.

I'd try counting my calories, it's not absolutely necessary, if you eat a clean diet but I think it's beneficial, especially if you are trying to lose weight, and it'll give you a good bearing on acceptable portion sizes.

To lose weight you'd want to be consuming about 10% less calories than you burn, or what is known as a calorific deficit.

Some people I know cut down down on carbohydrates on days they don't train, but they are necessary on training days or you'll end up fatigued/injured.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Also careful with the raisins, they contain waaaaaay more sugar than other fruits by weight, so I wouldn't be consuming much more than a small handfull, and I'd be mixing up the fruit aspect, try bananas and apples etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

You'd be surprised, but you say a lot of tea. Do you take sugar in your tea?

Even half a spoon, over say 6-8 cups a day (which is my assumption of a lot) is 3-4 spoons of sugar, which is lots of calories. If so, Try switch to green tea, or at worst a canderel type sweetener (I aint too knowledgeable about the negatives of these types of products).

Raisins too would be quite high in sugar content, so this is all somehwat empty calories, giving you no benefit for most part (Hardly like raisins are making you full). Switch raisins to a handful of nuts like Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Mixed nuts. Although high in calories, these really do fill you up and they're full of good stuff which contributes nutritionally to easier weight loss.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Porxywa

Cheers lukker

I knew they weren't great thanks for explain Ill watch out portion wise next time! I know cutting out spuds isn't necessary but I don't miss them either! Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply,

I don't take any sugar in tea no sweeteners or anything! I do have a small handful of almonds the odd day. Also for the Lunch instead of the chicken bits Would 2 slices of ham be a better choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Fruit and dark chocolate for treats. Dark chocolate fills you up way more than milk.

I also found making burrittos with seasoning etc were really good for me losing weight. Just one wrap, filled with meat and onions/peppers. Just get the old el paso seasoning and buy wraps separately. Little bit of sour cream(although it tastes so good you don't need it). It's very very easy and quick to cook.

Prepping food in advance is critical. You can make 3 days worth of bolognese and do the pasta fresh or have fajita seasoning and minced meat with a salad.

You could also buy a cooked rotisserie chicken and it will do you for the next day too. Only a fiver and hassle free. Coffee also tends to put off hunger pangs. Personally, I also skip breakfast and try to go as long as possible in the mornings without having food or maybe just a banana and some coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Didn't read your full post. I stopped at a giant red flag.....no breakfast!

This is a big no no.

You must get a good breakfast in, otherwise you'll find yourself panging through the rest of the day without propping it up properly.

I suggest some slow release carb cereal and if possible some protein, maybe even some protein shakes.

Aside from that stay away from the stealthy calorie loaders....most importantly sugary drinks of any kind. Be wary of health snacks like nutrigrain bars or the like. White bread, rolls in particular, cut them out, zero.

I find fulfil bars and vithits to be good if expensive snack substitutes if you feel the need to replace them with something interesting.

Cheers Richy

I don't Feel hungry in the morning I do have a banana around 11am if I'm feeling hungry. Are there any foods I should avoid? Also dinner choices I normally have are, Roast chicken, chicken breasts with Chicken spices, Bolangase with brown pasta, Bacon boiled, Breaded chicken (1pc). I normally stick to the same dinners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ligerdub wrote: »
    Didn't read your full post. I stopped at a giant red flag.....no breakfast!

This is a big no no.

You must get a good breakfast in, otherwise you'll find yourself panging through the rest of the day without propping it up properly.

Without dragging the thread off topic, breakfast - if you mean a pre-9am meal, isn't necessary. You won't be anymore hungry throughout the day.

Not having a breakfast works for some, especially those doing intermittent fasting. Breakfast is just breaking a fast, not the nutritional foundation of your day.

Without dragging the thread off topic, breakfast - if you mean a pre-9am meal, isn't necessary. You won't be anymore hungry throughout the day.

Not having a breakfast works for some, especially those doing intermittent fasting. Breakfast is just breaking a fast, not the nutritional foundation of your day.

Yeah, certainly in terms of timing.

I'm admittedly no expert, but I have lost the guts of 30-40 pounds twice in my life, and these type of good habits tended to produce better results for me.

From my own experiences I've found that if I eat a substantial but healthy breakfast it makes it a lot easier to go through the rest of the day without snacking, particularly on sugar. I've known people who somehow go through the entire morning without eating a thing until lunch, having only coffee and a biscuit until then. I suggest though that for somebody who is very heavy that just isn't an option....they'll probably end up eating their own hand in frustration :D

From what I've read of nutritionists, it tends to be the message they also recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Snow Crash

Thanks ligerdub

I don't find myself being too hungry during the day and Sometimes only feel hungry around 11am And I have some fruit if needed or wait till 1pm till my lunch!

I'm admittedly no expert, but I have lost the guts of 30-40 pounds twice in my life, and these type of good habits tended to produce better results for me.

From my own experiences I've found that if I eat a substantial but healthy breakfast it makes it a lot easier to go through the rest of the day without snacking, particularly on sugar. I've known people who somehow go through the entire morning without eating a thing until lunch, having only coffee and a biscuit until then. I suggest though that for somebody who is very heavy that just isn't an option....they'll probably end up eating their own hand in frustration :D

From what I've read of nutritionists, it tends to be the message they also recommend.

It works for some, it doesn't work for others. If people start snacking thinking it's ok because they didn't have a breakfast are the ones who need to eat a breakfast.

Some people can have a small breakfast and it works for them and some people get good results from a big breakfast.

Nothing wrong with suggesting a breakfast, especially where it reduces snacking.

Just suggesting it's not a cornerstone of the day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Hi folks

Im trying to stay away with Spuds even though I do have them once a week. Ive lately started to Get Fulfil protein bars.. I've only had 1 per day but I think that's too much ? As its hard not to have anything sweet as I've had a bad diet over the years. I know there probably not the best but are better than anything I could find

Just googled the fulfill bars, they're 195 calories per bar. Not sure how big they are but I wouldn't recommend more than 1 a day. Are you eating them because you like them or because you think you need the protein?

Thanks for the reply ottopilot

Its a mix of both because I've been this weight for a while now and Im used to not eating the best of foods. Ive lost 2 stone before (2yrs ago) and steadily I came back to the same weight again, I was just wondering If I should eat one a day as 200 cals is a good bit, I like them as it keeps me away from worse but meanwhile I get protein too if you get me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

How are you on booze? Because you are not eating badly (bar maybe being low on fruit and veg). Are you spending all weekend in the pub? Am not really clear as to how you got up to your current weight.

Thanks for the reply Telyla

I don't Drink at all, Ive always been overweight from my childhood till now (19) I never got alot of weight on in particular years etc, just always been overweight ( I did lose 2 stone before but it came back up in the years) I want to lose weight and Keep it off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

replace one or two meals a day with soup or eggs, I see you said you take butter with some of your meals, try to eat real butter(Kerry gold) as opposed to spreads which are oil based. This is what I did and lost 20kg in 5 months.

Thanks Chris for the reply,

Sounds interesting, I could live without butter on sandwiches, What soup could I get? any particular like oxtail etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Porxywa wrote:
    Sounds interesting, I could live without butter on sandwiches, What soup could I get? any particular like oxtail etc?

Make your own. That way you get to control exactly what goes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Not sure what height you are but at your weight if you're eating what you're saying and not picking at sweets/cakes etc throughout the day then you should be losing weight.

I would aim to be walking about 10/15km a day. If you have a smart phone it should have a steps tracker on it, make sure to hit 10K steps a day at a minimum.

That really should be enough on a slight calorie deficit for you to lose weight.

If you're not then it's most likely because you're not being honest with yourself about what you're consuming throughout the day.

Thanks Pokeherking for the reply

Just regards to my diet If only been doing this for the past 2 weeks, Okay I will admit it I had a terrible diet for the past 1 year and gained 1 stone from mid 2016 to now. The thing is that I would have to much of this or that etc, especially roast spuds ( Why Im cutting them out) etc, It wasn't really sweets or that just a portion sizes, I need to cut and put down sizes of portions.. Also The only thing I dont like about walking 10km is that It takes awhile for me to do so.. It roughly takes me 50mins to walk 6km!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm having some luck with intermittent fasting. I've found I've got my appetite under control for the first time,probably ever - although I was lucky in my teens/early twenties by being very active.

Like you I never ate breakfast and I still don't. I found the first week or so hard but now I'm up to 3 x 24 hour fasts a week and I actually feel pretty good doing them.

I'm taking the healthy options during my non fast days too, but again I'm pretty lucky in that I like veg/salads etc. My main issue was binging in the evening - gone after the first week, I was amazed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't think how long the walking takes matters if you have the time to do it. The fitter you get the faster you will get! I'm assuming you're a man (based on your dinners :)) but would you consider joining WW or Slimming World? You sound like you could do with a bit more food knowledge and the encouragement might do you good. If you can make all those dinners you can definitely make soup from scratch (way more nutrients and less salt that processed ones).

If you aren't already using it then download myfitnesspal and put every calorie you consume into it. It can be a real eye opener. And water, drink at least you 2 litres every day.

Thanks for the reply's all!

Ive been on the Intermittent fasting for 2 weeks (before this though I wouldn't eat breakfast even when My diet was bad) I think my body is adjusted to not having breakfast and I feel good too. I'll try to walk more and do more especially on the weekends! Also I have Myfitnesspal downloaded only have been using lately and find it good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Porxywa wrote:
    Just regards to my diet If only been doing this for the past 2 weeks, Okay I will admit it I had a terrible diet for the past 1 year and gained 1 stone from mid 2016 to now. The thing is that I would have to much of this or that etc, especially roast spuds ( Why Im cutting them out) etc, It wasn't really sweets or that just a portion sizes, I need to cut and put down sizes of portions.. Also The only thing I dont like about walking 10km is that It takes awhile for me to do so.. It roughly takes me 50mins to walk 6km!

If you're hitting 10K steps a day and eating decent whole foods and cutting out junk as much as possible ie white bread,cakes,sweets,chocolate,fizzy drinks etc.

You should be able to eat meat veg and potatoes for breakfast lunch and dinner if you want.

Wait till you're closer to a six pack before worrying about hiit or mi-nute nutritional details.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Walking does take a long time, can you try gradually speeding it up to a jog/ run over time. I was 20st last year and walked/jogged/ran 4-5 Km 5 times a week for 8 months. I lost 4.5 st and have managed to keep it off despite easy off in the running. I now do a weights programme instead but only 2-3 times a week.
    Why do you want to wait before you go to the gym? Are you embarrassed? I did all my exercise in the gym, headphones on iPad in front. No body bothered me or cared what I was doing, though I was apprehensive at first.
    I also cut back in portion sizes, you will grow to equate that extra bar with extra exercise and ask your self do you really need it.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Porxywa wrote:
    Just need a wee bit of advice if you will, Im currently Heavy 19st at the moment, Im only young too and need to lose weight. just want to tell you my diet at the moment; Breakfast: No food, Just tea Lunch: Chicken deli bits, Butter, 2 slices of brown bread, and lettuce. Dinner: Depends but normally Roast chicken, with vegetables. (Somtimes have beans) Snacks: Raisens. Drinks: Water 2l-4l, a lot of Tea! Im trying to stay away with Spuds even though I do have them once a week. Ive lately started to Get Fulfil protein bars.. I've only had 1 per day but I think that's too much ? As its hard not to have anything sweet as I've had a bad diet over the years. I know there probably not the best but are better than anything I could find Exercise wise I walk fast pace 2km 5 days a week, And Then for 5 days I do HITT workouts ( I can link if you want) I do 30 minutes as they really do kill me. What do you think of my diet? I currently want to lose 5 stone, But I want to lose 2-3 stone at home before going to a gym!

Can I ask whether you are male/ female height?

Are you being super honest with your food intake ? Ie if you were to do a food diary of absolutely everything that goes into your mouth are you being honest ? sometimes we ignore certain things ie your dollop of ketchup/mayo or the one or 2 biscuits after dinner etc it all adds up . I'm the same weight as you and have lost it before and went back to what I started with unfortunately and for me bad habits of no exercise and excessive eating piles the weight back on.

Your weight battle is won and lost in kitchen I've tried the paleo and crossfit sessions x2 weekly and went from 19st to 16 1/2st. As I said I got back into bad habits again ... fail fail try again !!!
    I basically gave up as much processed food as much as possible and ate clean as the term goes ...

You should be eating a breakfast your body needs a kick start in the morning . Try and have say porridge with a protein source and same for lunch a salad with eggs or chicken or soup .

I'd have 2 pieces of fruit as snacks during the day apple/banana or whatever you want to vary your diet

Dinner wise protein lots of veg and some small source of carbs / spuds or sweet potatoes . Stay away from processed carbs .

Don't over complicate your diet keep it simple and don't worry if you slip just RE adjust and keep going.. Don't be afraid of eating just make better choices!!!

Lay off the protein bars you don't need them !!!!

Do you work or in college? are you living a sedentary lifestyle for 8 hours a day ?
    2 km a day is a very short walk. Do it by time and start working your way up to an hour of a brisk walk.
    My advice don't worry about losing 2 or 3 st and then going to the gym. Find somewhere that does classes of some shape or form and join in, it's all about moving and doing something . All shapes and sizes and fitness levels are doing something these days so don't worry about standing out ..

Use apps on your phone to track your exercise example myfitnesspal to track food intake. Don't take it as gospel but it's an indicator of calorific intake and exercise

Cheers for the replys

Should Have said Im 6'5 Male!
    As my lifestyle I'm college I get the bus then Im dropped back and walk from their to my Home. I am being honest with food intake But I will say when on weekends I would have popcorn as my treat for sat and sunday even though Im going to probably stop this. I think if I get into a strict diet that I wont go back in my bad habits of overeating. Ill try and get in more fruit in shouldnt be much of a problem! I want to lose some weight before going into the gym, I will say that I would be a bit nervous going in!

• Advertisement

Porxywa wrote:
    Should Have said Im 6'5 Male! As my lifestyle I'm college I get the bus then Im dropped back and walk from their to my Home. I am being honest with food intake But I will say when on weekends I would have popcorn as my treat for sat and sunday even though Im going to probably stop this. I think if I get into a strict diet that I wont go back in my bad habits of overeating. Ill try and get in more fruit in shouldnt be much of a problem! I want to lose some weight before going into the gym, I will say that I would be a bit nervous going in!

This puts a different slant on things

6ft 5 and you want to lose 5 stone ? I think that may be too much !!!I'm 6ft 2 and 19stone and let's say I'm double your age if I can hit a gym class anyone can so don't worry just go and work out !!! 😠To be honest if you were 5ft nothing and 19st I'd be saying there's something wrong massively wrong with your food intake. I couldn't contemplate being 14stone I'd look as I was dieing !!!

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose that would be a bit off alright I just dont like the way I look I want to get this fat off me I suppose It does sound stupid about being nervous about going to the gym but Its natural to me! Im planning on going to the gym summer time with my sister. Id like to lose a few lbs in the meantime!

What I would stress is to focus on good habits and don't expect linear results. Take a longer term view and don't walk away if you've feel it's not going well. It takes a while to build a habit, but once you do you will keep it going, and it will stand to you.

You will get almost inexplicable setbacks at various points in time even if you think you've done the right things. You also probably won't notice you're losing it, and it will probably be your friends who will say things to you before you'll notice.

Best of luck with it anyway.

Cheers ligerdub

Ive already got a few comments which is good! You're defiantly correct I suppose I shouldn't be expecting fast results!

Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Also The only thing I dont like about walking 10km is that It takes awhile for me to do so.. It roughly takes me 50mins to walk 6km!

Ok its not olympic qualifying standard but 6km in 50 mins isn't crazy slow (imho)
    Keep at it, you will get faster but dont worry about how fast/slow just ensure that you are doing it.
    Push to get it up to an hour each time. Some people find having an app like strava on the phone beneficial in order to record your walk and see your progress/how much you covered in a week or month /how you are getting faster / motivation to do more than the previous month etc.

After a few weeks/a month look into the couch to 5k. Even starting at a low base it will get you to being able to jog 30mins in 9 weeks (most dont manage 5k in the 30mins initially but dont worry about that - they key is that from jogging in one minute intervals you will get to be WELL ABLE to jog for 30 mins)

6km in 50mins wont necessarily generate a huge weight loss but will help with toning & overall health and well being and importantly motivation - much less likely to reach for a biscuit/slice of bread etc if you have been out sweating/pushing to your limit for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's all about what works for you. Over the last 16 months I've lost 5.5 stone and for the first few months I had porridge with skimmed milk every morning but I found I was getting hungry 2-3 hours later. Granted I get up at 4am for work every morning but I don't think that would have much of an effect on how hungry I am or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Your diet sounds pretty good to be honest, certainly for someone who is 19 stone (tho at 6'5 thats not as heavy as it sounds). if you want to drop 5 stone, 14 stone at 6'5 would have you pretty light.

If i were you i would start getting into weight training and start eating a bit more (may sound counter intuitive). Im 6'1 and was around 18 stone at my heaviest. Now around 15 stone and while not lean, im in decent shape and am quite strong. I spent a whole load of hours on treadmills etc for years and they did nothing for me (my diet was considerably worse than yours at the time). Wasnt until i started training hard and heavy and upped my good food intake that i began to see real changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

dev100 wrote: »
    I couldn't contemplate being 14stone I'd look as I was dieing !!!

You're entitled to have any body preference you like, but you are giving a bit of a warped perspective here.

14 stone at 6'2" is not only not "dying", it is in fact into the overweight class of BMI.
    meK82Qc.jpg

At 19 stone you are officially classified as obese. Maybe you are a walking slab of muscle - in which case good for you - but you're not giving a very balanced view on bodyweight here.

I am 6'5" and my last bulk ended at about 91kg. I'm currently cutting and I don't think I'll have body fat down to where I want it until I hit 85kg (13 stone 4lbs) or so (which will still be in the upper half of "normal" BMI).

Zillah wrote:
    You're entitled to have any body preference you like, but you are giving a bit of a warped perspective here.
    I never implied you couldn't have a certain body type.
    Zillah wrote:
    14 stone at 6'2" is not only not "dying", it is in fact into the overweight class of BMI.
    I use the caliper and have my body fat % measured as an indicator
    I've been to a doctor and had a discussion about weight lose and he looked up the bmi chart for myself and basically said "ignore that, that's not a realistic reflection for you" I'm under no illusion I'm overweight. Fitness and health is my goal,
    Zillah wrote:
    but you're not giving a very balanced view on bodyweight here.
    Have a read my previous posts. I made one comment about my weight and being too heavy never implied what weight OP should be . My view on body weight is simple have a good clean balanced diet and hit gym and to be more active. I think that's a balanced view.
    2nd body weight comment I asked the OP what sex and what height he was . I like others were imaging him to be 19st and 5ft nothing and either a male or female, it puts a different slant on things compared to what his actual height is.

I know 2 tall fellas both same height and but have different body shapes and neither is obese in a visual sense and both are fit in different ways . One is a road biker quite thin lanky and lean the other lad is the complete opposite. So one is built for speed and other is built for power.... So the term one size fits all doesn't work for everyone.
    Zillah wrote:
    I am 6'5" and my last bulk ended at about 91kg. I'm currently cutting and I don't think I'll have body fat down to where I want it until I hit 85kg (13 stone 4lbs) or so (which will still be in the upper half of "normal" BMI).

Good for you. Keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sorry, I wasn't having a go or anything. I wanted to provide a contrasting view for OP as far as the perception of 14 stone goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I use the caliper and have my body fat % measured as an indicator
    I've been to a doctor and had a discussion about weight lose and he looked up the bmi chart for myself and basically said "ignore that, that's not a realistic reflection for you"
    I'm not a huge fan of bmi either, it's it's not individual either. But calipers should give you a really god idea of your lean mass, and therefore a possible healthy weight is.
    My view on body weight is simple have a good clean balanced diet and hit gym and to be more active. I think that's a balanced view.
    That's a good approach. But it could take years before it gets someone to a healthy weight.
    So the term one size fits all doesn't work for everyone.
    That's the point that Zillah was making. OP wants to lose 5stone. 14 stone at 6'5" is by no means anorexic. It's going to be possible for most, unless they are carrying a lot of muscle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

How's it going? Just wanted to weigh in myself ( no pun intended )

I'm 30, 6'1 and back in January I was tipping the scales at 290 lbs. I'm after getting down to 264 by cutting back to 3 meals a day with snacks in between, usually a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts. I'm in no way starving myself at all and still enjoy a takeaway on the weekends and a bit of a treat on some weekdays.

The 3 pillars I rely on are
    A) MyFitnesspal. Even though I wouldn't track every single calorie religiously, I do log 95% of all my food. You would be amazed at how quickly you realise just what exactly you are putting into your body, even from a portion size point of view.

B) HaSFIT. These are a husband and wife team on youtube who have hundreds of free workout videos on youtube. They have a great website too and if you get the app ( which is about 2 quid ) they have excellent plans for absolutely every fitness level. I bring the laptop into whatever room I want to work in and load up one of their videos and work straight from that. Really easy to follow along and they offer modifiers for each movement . Couldn't recommend their ' low impact' sessions highly enough, especially if you are a bit on the heavier side like me.

C) Activity tracker. I bought a cheap one from lidl to see if I would get much use out of it . I fell In love with it and splashed out on the fitbit charge+. Which is a heart rate monitor. Personally they wouldn't be for everyone but I love gadgets and it really makes me comfortable being able to monitor my heart rate as I go. Again, not necessary at all really but it gave me a huge motivational boost and the app is amazing for tracking stats

Asmodean wrote: »
    How's it going? Just wanted to weigh in myself ( no pun intended )

I'm 30, 6'1 and back in January I was tipping the scales at 290 lbs. I'm after getting down to 264 by cutting back to 3 meals a day with snacks in between, usually a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts. I'm in no way starving myself at all and still enjoy a takeaway on the weekends and a bit of a treat on some weekdays.

The 3 pillars I rely on are
    A) MyFitnesspal. Even though I wouldn't track every single calorie religiously, I do log 95% of all my food. You would be amazed at how quickly you realise just what exactly you are putting into your body, even from a portion size point of view.

B) HaSFIT. These are a husband and wife team on youtube who have hundreds of free workout videos on youtube. They have a great website too and if you get the app ( which is about 2 quid ) they have excellent plans for absolutely every fitness level. I bring the laptop into whatever room I want to work in and load up one of their videos and work straight from that. Really easy to follow along and they offer modifiers for each movement . Couldn't recommend their ' low impact' sessions highly enough, especially if you are a bit on the heavier side like me.

C) Activity tracker. I bought a cheap one from lidl to see if I would get much use out of it . I fell In love with it and splashed out on the fitbit charge+. Which is a heart rate monitor. Personally they wouldn't be for everyone but I love gadgets and it really makes me comfortable being able to monitor my heart rate as I go. Again, not necessary at all really but it gave me a huge motivational boost and the app is amazing for tracking stats

Thanks for the reply,

cheers for the advice, I do use myfitnesspal and find it excellent like you I wouldn't Count every calorie but would do with most! Ill have a look at there you tube channel to! Im using Adrian Bryant's videos for exercise and find them good. Ill have a look out for one of those activity trackers thinking of it now it could come in handy! :D I used an app on my phone but would like to see my heart rate too!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thanks Pokeherking for the reply

Also The only thing I dont like about walking 10km is that It takes awhile for me to do so.. It roughly takes me 50mins to walk 6km!

Is there a hill near you?
    Find a steep hill and put that on your route.
    After a while you can start to jog when you go downwards.
    Then you can start to jog on the flat, then uphill!
    It's great for when you need a quick walk but can't do your full route.

If you have the time and means for a gym I would encourage you to join. If you book an initial fitness assessment with them, they show you the machine's and how to use them.
    I've found the staff kind of "take you under their wing" and really want to help you. Other gym users are just too involved in their own routine to even think about you.
    In saying that, I've probably been in every gym in South County Dublin and I just prefer the fresh air and walking now.

Regarding your diet, I don't believe in being too tough on yourself because you won't sustain it. If you eat too little, your body will stop loosing weight.
    Don't give up the popcorn. (assuming it's the one you make yourself not microwave)

If you consistently loose 1.5 to two pounds a week you're genuinely doing very very well.
    Someone suggested a diet group, they're great for getting started and getting food information.

You could also follow the diet on the Operation Transformation website.
    I followed it one year and thought it was very good, you'll find your own level eventually.

I would say though not to mix and match diet plans.
    For example, on Slimming World it's fine to eat a load of fruit. But on the Operation Transformation they calorie count the fruit and balance the fruit with protein so your blood sugar's don't surge.

I've a friend that did slimming World and she lost over 3 stone and kept it off. I've family that did OT and same, so I guess you just need to find what you like and stick to it.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

ellejay wrote: »
    If you eat too little, your body will stop loosing weight.
    This isn't true at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Cake Man wrote:
    This isn't true at all.

No, it can certainly slow weight loss contrary to logical thought, it will also make a plan difficult if not impossible to maintain so by that reasoning it certainly will halt any loss, starting a program with a small defecit and gradually dropping is much, much more efficient.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    starting a program with a small defecit and gradually dropping is much, much more efficient.

Not necessarily and it's not that straightforward.

Good article by Danny Lennon on it here:

https://sigmanutrition.com/is-slow-and-steady-actually-the-best-way-to-diet-calorie-deficits-2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

bladespin wrote: »
    No, it can certainly slow weight loss contrary to logical thought, it will also make a plan difficult if not impossible to maintain so by that reasoning it certainly will halt any loss, starting a program with a small defecit and gradually dropping is much, much more efficient.

The problem with all 'eat less move more' diets is they're ultimately self defeating for the majority. However if you can do both ends of that equation eating less simply means you lose weight faster. The problem is that thousand of years of evolution will fight you every step of the way and what you actually do is eat less and move less - hence a stabilization/increase in weight, or of course you break and eat more.

Any change you make has to be permanent - and on the small and gradual I completely agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not necessarily and it's not that straightforward.

Totally agree but for me the steady dropping of csls was the only thing that worked, I would only recommend something that I had tried and proven worthwhile, not saying it's the only way but it did work.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Zillah wrote:
    Sorry, I wasn't having a go or anything. I wanted to provide a contrasting view for OP as far as the perception of 14 stone goes.

The warped and balanced view got to me lol . I'd like to think I've a healthy view of body weight. I wasn't trying to knock you for what you are saying. Sometimes a person can't convey everything in post but anyways.

I'm of the opinion as long as you living a naturally healthy lifestyle be it at 13/14 st @ 6ft 5 road biker or a runner or 19st athletic rugby player type or body builder or weight lifter it's all good . I go along the lines of the 3 body types/shapes . You know you see people who are naturally very thin but are healthy and look healthy . You will see others who have a different build trying to achieve the same look and it just doesn't look healthy or natural on them .

For the OP to lose up to 5 stone it's a big commitment it's a complete rethink and carries serious commitment to lose that weight and he needs to be specific on what he wanting terms of what he wants.

Is it being Aerobically fit being able to run marathons which involves being very lean and carry no added weight or muscle or is if he wants to be strong and athletic ( crossfit type/ hit type fitness )

Mellor wrote:
    I'm not a huge fan of bmi either, it's it's not individual either. But calipers should give you a really god idea of your lean mass, and therefore a possible healthy weight is.

Yes it's a good indicator , no where to hide when the calipers come out :)

Mellor wrote:
    That's a good approach. But it could take years before it gets someone to a healthy weight.

Sometimes it may take years to find that good balance and there's no simple quick fix . It's years of hard work and training

The warped and balanced view got to me lol . I'd like to think I've a healthy view of body weight. I wasn't trying to knock you for what you are saying. Sometimes a person can't convey everything in post but anyways.

I'm of the opinion as long as you living a naturally healthy lifestyle be it at 13/14 st @ 6ft 5 road biker or a runner or 19st athletic rugby player type or body builder or weight lifter it's all good . I go along the lines of the 3 body types/shapes . You know you see people who are naturally very thin but are healthy and look healthy . You will see others who have a different build trying to achieve the same look and it just doesn't look healthy or natural on them .

For the OP to lose up to 5 stone it's a big commitment it's a complete rethink and carries serious commitment to lose that weight and he needs to be specific on what he wanting terms of what he wants.

Is it being Aerobically fit being able to run marathons which involves being very lean and carry no added weight or muscle or is if he wants to be strong and athletic ( crossfit type/ hit type fitness )

Yes it's a good indicator , no where to hide when the calipers come out :)

Sometimes it may take years to find that good balance and there's no simple quick fix . It's years of hard work and training

Cheers for the reply!

Just to regards as what Id like to be, I currently have stopped playing rugby (since march) I've been playing for a while but I don't have the time to go to training, I felt with my weight I was out of breath a good bit.. I would want my stamina to improve not like Im going to running marathons or anything :D:D I Want a more muscle too. I Can see on my Calf muscles that started growing more than used to be Since I started doing this workouts!

• Advertisement
Advertisement