Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing weight.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Cake Man wrote: »
    This isn't true at all.

I know it's not meant to be true, but I have found it to be very true.

Years ago I was in weight watchers and week on week I wasn't loosing any weight.
    It was beyond frustrating.
    About the fourth week we looked at my diet and basically I just wasn't eating enough.
    Slowly increased the calories and then then the weight started too drop.

I don't know what the science behind it is, I'm only giving the OP my experience.
    I've always been interested to know why that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ellejay wrote: »
    I don't know what the science behind it is, I'm only giving the OP my experience.
    I've always been interested to know why that happens.
    The science says it doesn't happen.
    Put people is a laboratory environment, force them to stick to a huge deficit, and they lose lots of weight.

People who get gastric surgery only manage a few hundred calorie a day and the weight falls. Or people on liquid VLC diets.
    Hunger strikers, concentration camps, starvation studies etc all show massive weight loss too.

It only happens anecdotally in uncontrolled situations. Which suggests their are other factors at play. Prehaps diet adherence. People who cut too much, cave in much sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Your body will fight weight loss. It can do it in a number of ways but I would suspect that in your case you started moving more once your intake increased slightly. There are some short term things the body can do but they will always be short term. If you move a set amount and eat less you will always lose weight quicker the less you eat. However it's very difficult to maintain the exercise.

Completely anecdotal but I found my appetite 'reset' a few weeks into my diet, there might be something at play like that with you too. That you got the amount of food just right and didn't feel hungry anymore and your exercise levels are also where they need to be.

All that aside - whatever works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

ellejay wrote:
    Years ago I was in weight watchers and week on week I wasn't loosing any weight. It was beyond frustrating. About the fourth week we looked at my diet and basically I just wasn't eating enough. Slowly increased the calories and then then the weight started too drop.

ellejay wrote:
    I don't know what the science behind it is, I'm only giving the OP my experience. I've always been interested to know why that happens.

I ate 1200 calories max for over 20 years (am only 5 ft and less than 8 stone so assumed that was plenty) and never lost a lb. Got rmr tested and apparently have high rmr rate for my size, age etc. Currently eating over 2000 calories and weight is stable. Hormones etc all go out of whack when you're not eating enough and cling onto fat/are primed to store fat etc. This is what I was told anyway and my own experience bears it out . So it's not as simple as calories in/calories out, when you've long term restricted anyway. Maybe for people who have eaten normally then calories are the main factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

OP what Gender/age/height are you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

JJayoo wrote:
    OP what Gender/age/height are you

6' 5" male in their 20s. Seriously, the thread isn't that long.

Advertisement