Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

216 Piece Socket Set €90 - Lidl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

It has come up here before, and would seem to be a good set. There will always be people along to tell you that Lidl/Aldi are crap and they wouldn't buy them, but I usually find them good.

The only other sets in that general price range are the Halfords Advanced range. They are having their half price sale (again) , so the 90 piece set is €90, the 120 piece set is €120 etc.

Here is a link
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&top=N&langId=-1&categoryId=290505&storeId=11101

You get less pieces for your money, but you get the advantage of a lifetime warranty, and the quality is really excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

cletus wrote: »
    It has come up here before, and would seem to be a good set. There will always be people along to tell you that Lidl/Aldi are crap and they wouldn't buy them, but I usually find them good.

The only other sets in that general price range are the Halfords Advanced range. They are having their half price sale (again) , so the 90 piece set is €90, the 120 piece set is €120 etc.

Here is a link
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&top=N&langId=-1&categoryId=290505&storeId=11101

You get less pieces for your money, but you get the advantage of a lifetime warranty, and the quality is really excellent

Have to agree, the halfords set are very decent.
    I can't speak for the lidl set but I did get a 30pc set from lidl a couple of years ago and it didn't last too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

corsav6 wrote:
    Have to agree, the halfords set are very decent. I can't speak for the lidl set but I did get a 30pc set from lidl a couple of years ago and it didn't last too long.

Out of curiosity what didn't last too long ? Busted sockets, bent bar, rachet broke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sockets!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Out of curiosity what didn't last too long ? Busted sockets, bent bar, rachet broke?

Ratchet went fairly quickly, within 3 months with only weekend work on the car. Sockets seem a little too big, when attached to a nut they have a little play. Other sockets I picked up over the years all fit perfectly.
    I can't say that the set in the op will be the same because I purchased a cheaper set from lidl. But the halfords set always get good reviews so at least you know what your getting if you buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Not bought any of the aldi/lidl range but I have a set of the halfords advanced, they're excellent quality and have a lifetime warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My Dad would have been pretty serious about all his tools. Shed full for car work along with general DIY stuff. He took a splunge one day on something from Lidl/Aldi to see what they were like and he hasn't really gone back, nor have I.

Over the years have accumulated a range of stuff from either or, and I find the quality to be typically excellent for what I need. Had a few misses with some of the electric/power tools, but I wasn't really expecting much.

Only thing I'm really consistently buying is like the sets of bits and bobs like washers etc. where you can't have enough, the tools have all been going fine for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I bought the spanner set, think it was from Lidl. Works perfect

My brother bought as well and he has heavy usage requirement and swears by them.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

They are what they are for that price. If your using them for DIY and around the yard they are fine, but if you're using them everyday for work and they getting heavy usage etc they're not great

Advertisement