Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of year again!

Options
  • 02-05-2017 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Application time!

Is anyone else getting really fed up with the level of detail and questioning expected now in application forms? Honestly for some questions I really do wonder would they themselves be able to answer them :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes it is tedious.
    On that note, could anyone clarify the difference between extra curricular activities outside of school and extracurricular activities inside of school. (It is a question on ETB form).
    For example if I have an irish conversation group at lunch time which does it fall under? ( in my time, in school building but optional )
    Or I run a cooking competition after school ( in school building but outside of class time ) .
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Outside of school would be your own activities out of school e.g. Swimming , community work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I know the struggle! Completing my PME application last year seemed never ending. Now that I'm familiar with the course administrators I'm wondering why such a scattered bunch needed such specific info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Outside of school would be your own activities out of school e.g. Swimming , community work.

Thanks , I thought that too, but next heading is 12. OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE (E.G. NON TEACHING EXPERIENCE, COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT ETC.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Yes it is tedious.
    On that note, could anyone clarify the difference between extra curricular activities outside of school and extracurricular activities inside of school. (It is a question on ETB form).
    For example if I have an irish conversation group at lunch time which does it fall under? ( in my time, in school building but optional )
    Or I run a cooking competition after school ( in school building but outside of class time ) .
    Thanks

Might be wrong but I'd read that as EC inside school being stuff that would happen within the school day and require cover so coaching and matches. EC outside school hours I'd take to be something like equestrian which is kinda one doing it off your own bat and doesn't impact on school day

• Advertisement

Thanks , I thought that too, but next heading is 12. OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE (E.G. NON TEACHING EXPERIENCE, COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT ETC.)

Then I would go with my own hobbies and interests in 10 and then community work or other relevant experience in 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

That certain Wicklow school is up again with its 101 teaching jobs. Thankfully they have shortened the application form but there are still some tedious questions there. The amount of teachers that wasted so much time on their 20 page application form last year....and then receive no word back

Would those jobs be second year cid reinterviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Yes it is tedious.
    Thanks

A new word I learnt at an interview a while ago: co-curricular. I was asked about what sort of co-curricular things I could do in a school, and I just assumed it was a fancy name for extracurricular and answered that. Not quite, although I do get the sense that many of the people asking these questions think they're synonymous and just want to use a word they picked up at a recent inservice. Anyway, it's worth knowing this distinction.

co-curricular v. extracurricular

Co-curricular vs. Extracurricular
    Generally speaking, co-curricular activities are an extension of the formal learning experiences in a course or academic program, while extracurricular activities may be offered or coordinated by a school, but may not be explicitly connected to academic learning. This distinction is extremely fuzzy in practice, however, and the terms are often used interchangeably. Athletics, for example, are typically considered to be extracurricular activities, while a science fair would more likely be considered a co-curricular activity, given that students are learning science, participation may be required by the school, students may be graded on their entries, or a science teacher may coordinate the fair. Still, in some schools certain athletics activities might be considered “co-curricular,” while in other schools a science fair may be labeled “extracurricular.”
    Creative Commons License

• Advertisement

Application time!

Is anyone else getting really fed up with the level of detail and questioning expected now in application forms? Honestly for some questions I really do wonder would they themselves be able to answer them :confused:

I still have nightmares about seeing a 10-page application form for a certain school in Greystones a couple of years ago. I wouldn't like to work for any principal or Board of Management which would be so obtuse, inefficient and self-centred.

I see a certain school in Co Louth is still seeking teachers leaving cert results! I wonder if they are still being given past papers to do before interview?

I see a certain school in Co Louth is still seeking teachers leaving cert results! I wonder if they are still being given past papers to do before interview?

I felt compelled to pay a visit over to Educationposts just to put a name to this:named and shamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

That 10 page form for Wicklow was ridiculous (particularly given the hidden requirement that ruled most people out). But two ET schools just copied it exactly and changed the school name. Seems to be a competition to have the most onerous application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

That 10 page form for Wicklow was ridiculous (particularly given the hidden requirement that ruled most people out). But two ET schools just copied it exactly and changed the school name. Seems to be a competition to have the most onerous application process.

What was the hidden requirement that ruled people out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

sitstill wrote: »
    What was the hidden requirement that ruled people out?

They did seem to be pushing their church of Ireland ethos quite a lot but I can't see how that would have been used in the selection process.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

My favourite phrase is ''...would be a distinct advantage''. For example ''Experience coaching rugby would be a distinct advantage'', ''Experience teaching Microsoft Office applications would be a distinct advantage'', ''Being named Albert Anderson and having graduated from UCD in 2007 and having an interest in tennis would be a distinct advantage.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

Gaiscioch. Cocurricular is not a new word! It has been around for a long time and it's not unreasonable to be asked about this at interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

A certain Kildare school is advertising "permanent" positions. Think they just ticked the wrong box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

My favourite phrase is ''...would be a distinct advantage''. For example ''Experience coaching rugby would be a distinct advantage'', ''Experience teaching Microsoft Office applications would be a distinct advantage'', ''Being named Albert Anderson and having graduated from UCD in 2007 and having an interest in tennis would be a distinct advantage.''

Thats gas. I remember last year talking to a friend of mine and how he had a job for next year. About 10 days later, the position was advertised. The requirements were so specific he was the only suitable candidate. The advertisement may of as well said ''_______ ______ need only apply.''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's to prevent appeals too.

Another telling one is "an ability to teach ________ would be advantageous" and then they don't ask you anything about that ability in the interview.

Also if you feel you are more qualified than the successful candidate you can be 'out-holied' on the ethos question.

Also newish school advertising a load of RPT contracts at once. It's just they have to keep on re-advertising until the in situe teacher gets their CID after 2 or 4 years.

Another one is body language...principal generally stares down at the page while some one else is asking questions.

But... in saying all that ,you never know what will happen so it's worth a punt in case the shoe-in doesn't take the job. Get some interview experience too.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    It's to prevent appeals too.

Another telling one is "an ability to teach ________ would be advantageous" and then they don't ask you anything about that ability in the interview.

Also if you feel you are more qualified than the successful candidate you can be 'out-holied' on the ethos question.

Also newish school advertising a load of RPT contracts at once. It's just they have to keep on re-advertising until the in situe teacher gets their CID after 2 or 4 years.

Another one is body language...principal generally stares down at the page while some one else is asking questions.

But... in saying all that you never know what will happen so it's worth a punt in case the shoe-in doesn't take the job. Get some interview experience too.

Sounds scarily familiar Geb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Was looking at an advert for a maths and a senior science subject and it mentioned that a formal qualification in teaching English as a second language would be advantageous.
    Found this very random! Does this mean there's a good chance they have someone set up for this job?

Odd alright. It must be hours that consist English as foreign language/resource. I saw one recently that was advertised as English and geography as required subjects and had history and maths as additional require to for the job. How many subjects are teachers meant to have these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Odd alright. It must be hours that consist English as foreign language/resource. I saw one recently that was advertised as English and geography as required subjects and had history and maths as additional require to for the job. How many subjects are teachers meant to have these days?

I saw one last year for a language job but in the additional requirements it stated that applicants must have the ability to teach DCG and Woodwork. This advertisement should have been reported because they really were looking for a Woodwork teacher but advertised for a language teacher so that no one would see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I saw one last year for a language job but in the additional requirements it stated that applicants must have the ability to teach DCG and Woodwork. This advertisement should have been reported because they really were looking for a Woodwork teacher but advertised for a language teacher so that no one would see it.

In a way though by keeping the job hidden they're not going to waste your time interviewing for a job that's spoKen for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    In a way though by keeping the job hidden they're not going to waste your time interviewing for a job that's spoKen for.

Oh I know that but it's just the way they went about advertising it. It would be more honest to advertise what they wanted and either ignore applications (which I hate when principals do that) or email stating that applicant has not passed shortlist.

Was asked for my points from the leaving cert today on an application forms:-0
    Wtf ??

Quite common. One school in particular required an A1 in your teaching subjects. The ETB forms require them as do some voluntary secondaries.

• Advertisement

Quite common. One school in particular required an A1 in your teaching subjects. The ETB forms require them as do voluntary secondary.

Yeah I can kinda understand asking GRADES but o top of that I was asked for overall points !!
    Ffs I did the leaving completed college got my degree have experience ..felt like they want to know I had weetabix for breakfast and black underwear on .. tmi i know ☺

Advertisement