Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of year again!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Its another way of shortlisting I suppose. But by the time you get degree results( year by year in some forms), masters results, Pgde results , it can get so wearisome. I think they make a lot of work for themselves to read when all they need is our teaching council registration and evetting. Maybe the want to put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Quite common. One school in particular required an A1 in your teaching subjects. The ETB forms require them as do some voluntary secondaries.

That's where you put in your random A's and B's at HL :) I think this is the most ridiculous questions they can ask. What about the candidate that took up their teaching subject at third level? Are they not shortlisted because they didn't study it at second level? What about the candidate that performed better in their subject at third level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

True, Often people develop their real love of a subject at third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

Anyone notice the Kildare school advertising two 11 hour contracts for maths... Clearly breaking up a full-time contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Application form for this position is available from xxxxx.
    Applications are to be accepted by post only.
    5 copies of Application Form must be submitted.
    Teaching Council evidence of subjects you are qualified to teach must be submitted.
    Garda Vetting Cert must be provided
    Two written references are required.
    This position is for 22 hours Geography and Resource Maths teaching per week
    Hand written applications will not be accepted.

Is this not bordering on ridiculous now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Is this not bordering on ridiculous now.
    I've seen worse- saw one recently where you had to submit 5 copies of the application forms, and 5 copies of your certs/diploma/teaching council reg and something else - can't remember now. Also saw one asking for passport photo with letter of application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I've seen worse- saw one recently where you had to submit 5 copies of the application forms, and 5 copies of your certs/diploma/teaching council reg and something else - can't remember now. Also saw one asking for passport photo with letter of application

What they heck would a school be doing with 5 copies of your application form. Is this before you're even called for interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    What they heck would a school be doing with 5 copies of your application form. Is this before you're even called for interview?

Presume it's so they don't have to photocopy a set for the interview panel. Yep no guarantee of even bring shortlisted. Also filling in lots of application forms but still having to submit a cv with them! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

That certain Wicklow school is up again with its 101 teaching jobs. Thankfully they have shortened the application form but there are still some tedious questions there. The amount of teachers that wasted so much time on their 20 page application form last year....and then receive no word back
    Lovely rejection email from that school in Wicklow.
    Same every year. They advertise every job under the sun, have a really long application form then the customary lovely rejection.
    Tbf at least they have the manners to send out a reply. So simple to do with email today yet so few schools afford the decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

I got that lovely email myself today! How long does it take ETBs to get back to you,I had an interview last week and the stress in the wait!

• Advertisement

Lovely rejection email from that school in Wicklow.
    Same every year. They advertise every job under the sun, have a really long application form then the customary lovely rejection.
    Tbf at least they have the manners to send out a reply. So simple to do with email today yet so few schools afford the decency.

Is this correct...In a new school once the population increase therefore the hours available increase... therefore they have to readvertise the same job over and over?

Would that school you speak of be of a minority denomination ... so they might be looking for someone who would fit that ethos profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Is this correct...In a new school once the population increase therefore the hours available increase... therefore they have to readvertise the same job over and over?

Would that school you speak of be of a minority denomination ... so they might be looking for someone who would fit that ethos profile?

There is a circular that states that staff on CID have to be offered the hours being advertised first before being advertised. Except in a situation where you need 2 english teachers for a block and hence can't offer the hours to your 1 teacher.

ETBs: all differ on timeframes in getting back to you. It all depends on their HR departments.

TheDriver wrote: »
    There is a circular that states that staff on CID have to be offered the hours being advertised first before being advertised. Except in a situation where you need 2 english teachers for a block and hence can't offer the hours to your 1 teacher.

ETBs: all differ on timeframes in getting back to you. It all depends on their HR departments.

Yes I'm thinking of a new school about 2 years old where 20 jobs were advertised! The subject combinations were a little bit specific with odd enough combinations (for a new school! ). So in that case I would assume none of the current staff are open to CID's. Would that be fair to say?

That sounds about right, strange

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LeonDen

I've got called for an interview next week for a geography, history and English job however, I'm only TC qualified in geog and hist. (The panel should know this from my app form) Any advice on how to answer any English qs thrown my way?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

One of the most frustrating things with application forms-going back many, many years- was the pitiful amount of space you had to write (yes write) your responses to questions. A small box was intimidating if you had unwieldy handwriting.

The amount of paper work nowadays is frightening (especially as someone noted above) the core info needed:TC Reg, relevant experience and reference contacts is small. That is the important bit and all the other stuff will come out in the wash at interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

LeonDen wrote:
    I've got called for an interview next week for a geography, history and English job however, I'm only TC qualified in geog and hist. (The panel should know this from my app form) Any advice on how to answer any English qs thrown my way?

I would be surprised if you were asked English Content questions. Unless you are familiar with the course and have taught it, it would be riddiculous to expect you to know. With all due respect, the English hours should be given to an English teacher.
    Best of luck with the interview, fingers crossed

LeonDen wrote: »

I can't think of any teacher that would be registered in all 3. Having said that, applicants that don't meet the criteria are usually not called to interview so maybe they realised there was no one applying with this combo

Advertisement