Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibiscus

Options
  • 02-05-2017 7:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I bought 2 hibiscus plants in Aldi last year, I know nothing about plants or gardening but I just wanted something on the patio that the rabbits could eat safely! They never went near it, but all the leaves fell off and it looked like some twigs in a pot. I was going to throw it out but it looks like it has buds?
    Is it going to survive?

79Yao7al.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yes, it's fine. They come into leaf a bit later than other shrubs and flower even later. I would plant it out though. It won't last too long in a pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Silverfish wrote: »
    Hi

I bought 2 hibiscus plants in Aldi last year, I know nothing about plants or gardening but I just wanted something on the patio that the rabbits could eat safely! They never went near it, but all the leaves fell off and it looked like some twigs in a pot. I was going to throw it out but it looks like it has buds?
    Is it going to survive?

79Yao7al.jpg

Yes but repot them or plant them somewhere sunny. They are always slow to come into leaf and the leaf buds always look yellow. They lose their leaves in winter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Oh that's great.

I'll replant them into pots so. What type of soil would I use? Worried I'll kill them after they've survived so long in spite of me

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Oh that's great.

I'll replant them into pots so. What type of soil would I use? Worried I'll kill them after they've survived so long in spite of me

Mine are the same, as previous posters said they're late to come into leaf. Why don't you plant into the soil?

Mine are the same, as previous posters said they're late to come into leaf. Why don't you plant into the soil?

Everything I plant in it seems to keel over dead, and I wouldnt be sure it's the right soil for it.
    There's no real spot for it in the garden, I'd kinda like to keep it in pots if possible at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Everything I plant in it seems to keel over dead, and I wouldnt be sure it's the right soil for it.
    There's no real spot for it in the garden, I'd kinda like to keep it in pots if possible at all.

There's no reason why they won't grow in soil providing it's not waterlogged, but if you want to plant them in pots I'd recommend John Innes No. 3 compost and pots about 3 to 4 times the volume of those that they're in.

lk67 wrote: »
    There's no reason why they won't grow in soil providing it's not waterlogged, but if you want to plant them in pots I'd recommend John Innes No. 3 compost and pots about 3 to 4 times the volume of those that they're in.

Picked up some of this and repotted them this evening, moved into a sunnier spot, fingers crossed.

Advertisement