Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation problems

Options
  • 02-05-2017 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I've been reading boards for the last 10 years and just registered today as I need an advice.. So here goes:
    Myself, my OH and a 4 year old are planning the move from Dublin to Waterford or similar town.. The reasons are simple - although we both work full time hours, we can't afford to live here anymore as accommodation, child care, transport and other expenses are not only eating our salaries but our savings as well... We are both stuck in low paid unqualified jobs we hate with no luck finding anything better and we came to point where we have to move somewhere cheaper and basically start everything from scratch... Now, we have no idea where to start and how to go about it, as there are multiple barriers we need to jump:
    - Finding accommodation - if we quit our jobs in Dublin who is going to rent us a place 200km away with no job secured?
    - same with social welfare - we wont even have an address in Waterford and no proof of address.. Will we receive Job Seeker from day one (backdated of course)? Hopefully it wont take too long to find a job though, but I'm hoping to receive some help from the State untill..What do we do?

We dont want to leave our home just to find ourselves on a street with no job, no house, no income in a city we know no-one!

If anyone have any relevant experience or advice I would really appreciate your input as we are in bits and unsure of what else to do...

Thanks

P.s. mods feel free to move it where appropriate if in wrong thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Perhaps keep the question here regarding the moving, and a new thread in State Benefits; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861 for the social welfare query.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Get a job elsewhere, and commute for a bit until you get a place and get settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

First thing is to somehow build a small pot of savings. Maybe get a second job or pick up extra hours. Whatever it takes. I'd aim for at least two months rent in the most basic property in your new area.

Then whichever of you can move more easily look for jobs in suitable locations. Don't put an address on any cv, just use email and mobile. Take a day off and visit the town, knock on doors. Scout out potential jobs and businesses that might hire you. Pick up the phone and call. Post in the relevant part of boards. Do whatever it takes so that one of you gets a job in the target location.

When that's sorted, move down alone. Get the cheapest room possible in a house share or similar. Work and save some more come back at weekends. Hopefully this will only last a month or two. Start looking for a job for person 2. Once that's secured move the family down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TheGoonie

First thing is to somehow build a small pot of savings. Maybe get a second job or pick up extra hours. Whatever it takes. I'd aim for at least two months rent in the most basic property in your new area.

Then whichever of you can move more easily look for jobs in suitable locations. Don't put an address on any cv, just use email and mobile. Take a day off and visit the town, knock on doors. Scout out potential jobs and businesses that might hire you. Pick up the phone and call. Post in the relevant part of boards. Do whatever it takes so that one of you gets a job in the target location.

When that's sorted, move down alone. Get the cheapest room possible in a house share or similar. Work and save some more come back at weekends. Hopefully this will only last a month or two. Start looking for a job for person 2. Once that's secured move the family down.

Thanks very much for your reply.
    As for savings we have them to pay a rent for a year plus in a new location. As for separating.. Its not gona work as we have a 4 year old and we currently work different shifts and different days so we could bring him to and collect from playschool. There is no chance to do that for one parent due to working hours...
    Anyone from Waterford here to advice whats the situation with rental market there at the moment? Queuing at the front door and trying to get there first with cash in hand and references, payslips, account statements, etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I moved from Dublin to a rural location and I'll be honest it wasn't easy.

I had a fair chunk of savings but it soon disappears with moving costs etc.

However I will say it is a lot cheaper to live and a nice pace of living.

Now working and it's a 20 minute drive to work with no traffic, not even a traffic light.

People will say find a job first but it's nearly impossible unless you're at the location.

If you have enough PRSI paid you will get jobseekers benefit but maybe not straight away if you've quit a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to find a job in the new location first.

You won't get welfare for 9 weeks if you just quit your current jobs. And if you move to a small place with few jobs, without having some tangile link to the place (eg family there) an a**hole welfare inspector could even accuse you of separating youself from the labour market and make things even more difficult.

Do you have any friends / family / networks in different parts of the country, who could help you find a job there?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

If you have both tried getting better jobs in Dublin with no luck why do you think it'll be any easier in Waterford? I would have thought the available job pool is a lot smaller than Dublin.
    I don't think trying to move is a bad idea but jacking in your jobs and just moving to a completely new part of the country with limited knowledge of the area is hasty.
    Surely you'd be better off to work on getting one person sorted with a job & accomodation first & then the second person can join them? If you have savings to cover you for a year's rent you'd survive until the second person got a job.
    I get that you're trying to take action but putting solid plans in place to make this move is the sensible thing to do especially with a child in tow.
    Good luck - there's a lot to be said for the sunny south east!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

I can't help you with most of your queries but I would recommend Tramore as an area in Waterford that is very suited to a family. Having said that, it's hard to find rental accommodation in Tramore, at the best of times but particularly as summer approaches as it is a busy tourist spot with mostly weekly rentals for the summer months. Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Consider Sligo. It is an amazing amazing place to live but you need to have a car if you live there.
    Get a job first. Do not quit your job in Dublin if you don't have a job lined up.

Do you have any friends / family / networks in different parts of the country, who could help you find a job there?

Nobody so close that would be willing to help I'm afraid..

• Advertisement

April 73 wrote: »
    If you have both tried getting better jobs in Dublin with no luck why do you think it'll be any easier in Waterford? I would have thought the available job pool is a lot smaller than Dublin.
    I don't think trying to move is a bad idea but jacking in your jobs and just moving to a completely new part of the country with limited knowledge of the area is hasty.
    Surely you'd be better off to work on getting one person sorted with a job & accomodation first & then the second person can join them? If you have savings to cover you for a year's rent you'd survive until the second person got a job.
    I get that you're trying to take action but putting solid plans in place to make this move is the sensible thing to do especially with a child in tow.
    Good luck - there's a lot to be said for the sunny south east!

Job pool is bigger in Dublin no doubt but there are 1.35mil people as opposed to 53k in Waterford. Looking at jobs.ie there are 2655 jobs in Dublin atm and 165 in Waterford, so having 25 times higher population Dublin only has to offer 16 times more jobs :)
    Yes, we are trying to get a solid plan, thats the reason I came to ask an advice from my so very much respected boards community.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

Wesser wrote: »
    Consider Sligo. It is an amazing amazing place to live but you need to have a car if you live there.
    Get a job first. Do not quit your job in Dublin if you don't have a job lined up.

Thanks, we actually have Sligo on our list among few others, cheers!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

TheGoonie wrote: »
    Job pool is bigger in Dublin no doubt but there are 1.35mil people as opposed to 53k in Waterford. Looking at jobs.ie there are 2655 jobs in Dublin atm and 165 in Waterford, so having 25 times higher population Dublin only has to offer 16 times more jobs :)
    Yes, we are trying to get a solid plan, thats the reason I came to ask an advice from my so very much respected boards community.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

What's the unemployment rate for Dublin versus Waterford?

And how many of the advertised jobs could you apply for in terms of skills and experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Limericks a lovley city with lots of manufacturing jobs also cheap rent compared to other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I moved from Dublin to Leitrim 8 years ago and never regretted it. The company i work for hires shift workers and it's usually a 9 month contract which gets renewed 3 times - after that you might be eligible for a permanent job. They always hire of an agency. if you want, pm me I can give you the agencies name. leitrim has very cheap rents and plenty of houses available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

TheGoonie wrote: »
    We are both stuck in low paid unqualified jobs we hate with no luck finding anything better

I know its not really relevant to Accomodation and Property but is there anything you can do about this to upskill and get yourselves more qualified.

Be it FAS courses, Springboard, etc, if you can get some sort of qualification it will be far easier to find better paid jobs. Is there any area that interests you.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I know its not really relevant to Accomodation and Property but is there anything you can do about this to upskill and get yourselves more qualified.

Be it FAS courses, Springboard, etc, if you can get some sort of qualification it will be far easier to find better paid jobs. Is there any area that interests you.
    I have a bachelor's degree in business, but my experience is not gained in Ireland and its not being considered as legit here I guess... My CV is pretty much ruined over the last 6-7 years, coz I took any job I could get at the time so I could provide for my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A gentle reminder that this is the accommodation and property forum ;)

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

I moved from Dublin to Leitrim 8 years ago and never regretted it. The company i work for hires shift workers and it's usually a 9 month contract which gets renewed 3 times - after that you might be eligible for a permanent job. They always hire of an agency. if you want, pm me I can give you the agencies name. leitrim has very cheap rents and plenty of houses available.

Are there particular towns or villages in Leitrim that are better. May I PM you?

Advertisement