Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESTA question

Options
  • 02-05-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Maybe stupid question .
    I have another year left on my ESTA.
    My point of contact address is for New York when u visited last year.
    I'm now travelling to Vegas but it won't let me update the point of contact.
    I can update " address while in USA" but not point of contact.
    Will this be an issue ? Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It won't be an issue. Just update the address for your first night on the next trip.

If you are of a nervous disposition and have any doubts whatsoever, just apply for a new ESTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Maybe stupid question .

I didn't know you had to update address on a ESTA if you travel somewhere different in the USA? I travelled to NY and then to Florida and I didn't have an issue :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I didn't know you had to update address on a ESTA if you travel somewhere different in the USA? I travelled to NY and then to Florida and I didn't have an issue :confused:

You don't have to. Apparently some border guards might give you a small bit of grief if you don't update it, but that's never happened to me. You have to give your address to the airline when checking in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

when checking in , you will give API which is then linked to your ESTA. Border Control may ask you to confirm that this is correct but you do not need to update your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Folks, travel to the US Tuesday morning. Applied for ESTA last Monday, credit card billed on the day. I've got no email confirmation. What is the normal process? What should you have going to airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

jaytobe wrote: »
    Folks, travel to the US Tuesday morning. Applied for ESTA last Monday, credit card billed on the day. I've got no email confirmation. What is the normal process? What should you have going to airport?

Log back in to check whether it was accepted or not as you should have got confirmation. Good to have print out of confirmation but not necessary.

no necessity to print it off - the clue is in the name - electronic.

When you check online and submit API, it will be linked to your passport/ticket.

Folks, travel to the US Tuesday morning. Applied for ESTA last Monday, credit card billed on the day. I've got no email confirmation. What is the normal process?

They don't send an e-mail confirmation, you should have seen a message on the screen saying you were approved, that's all there is to it.
    What should you have going to airport?

Your passport. There is absolutely no point in bringing a printout, either the immigration agent finds your ESTA approval on their system or they don't and no piece of paper is going to fix the problem if it's not on the system. Don't listen to anyone who says it's 'no harm' in having it, its a total waste of time printing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I've travel to the US regularly for both business and leisure and I have never updated the address on my ESTA since when I first renew it. I've also never printed it.

It's linked to your passport and when you are flying to the US you have to enter API details with your airline which includes your address and contact details when you're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Thanks all - checked and it was approved. Happy days, must start a thread now for my Thursday night and Friday tourist whirlwind stop in NYC..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Just to be safe guys, I'm flying out California in a few weeks time, and was in NY last year and did the ESTA thing then, do I just turn up at the airport with my passport or do I need to bring something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You just need your passport. You will need to provide the address of where you are staying to the airline before you check in.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Just to be safe guys, I'm flying out California in a few weeks time, and was in NY last year and did the ESTA thing then, do I just turn up at the airport with my passport or do I need to bring something else?

ESTA approval is based on your passport number so as long as you have the same passport, that ESTA will still be current. It lasts two years or when your passport expires, whichever occurs first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭fire_man

Hi,

I was charged €74 today for esta,I thought it was about €25?
    Thanks

obviously didn't go to the official site where it costs $14.00

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi everyone just wondering with the Esta my first time travelling to the states how far in advance would you reccommend getting it and does it last a few years? Travelling to both new york and vegas its basically a visa to enter the country? Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi everyone just wondering with the Esta my first time travelling to the states how far in advance would you reccommend getting it and does it last a few years? Travelling to both new york and vegas its basically a visa to enter the country? Thanks all

72 hours before you travel at minimum and it lasts 2 years.
    ESTA is a system to check eligibility under the visa waiver program.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Shadowthrone

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Maybe stupid question .

I just did the exact same thing as you. Originally went to New York, then went to Vegas just before christmas there. No issues and no need to change anything, as long as your esta is still in date.

If it is our of date make sure you use the correct site to get a new one. should cost around 15euro (there about). there are official looking sites that will charge you 100 or more, but they are middle men making a quick buck for passing on your information. Make sure not to use these guys, ever!

Lovely thanks not travelling until Sept just wasnt too sure on the whole process of it. So basically if i travelled next year again the same esta is valid? Yea seen alot of people getting scammed for ones over €80 and more and was told it was only about 14 dollars or there abouts.

as long as your esta is still in date.

and if your passport is the same one you applied under.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Lovely thanks not travelling until Sept just wasnt too sure on the whole process of it. So basically if i travelled next year again the same esta is valid? Yea seen alot of people getting scammed for ones over €80 and more and was told it was only about 14 dollars or there abouts.

Offical esta site is https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ use anything else and you'll be charged over the 14 dollars they charge.

thanks everyone for yer help appreciated

One more question for people someone told me that when you ae entering the states the passort you have needs to be valid for 6 months or more. Im travelling in Sept 2018 and my passport expires Feb 2019 has anyone issues with this before? Should/do I need get a new one?

Thanks

One more question for people someone told me that when you ae entering the states the passort you have needs to be valid for 6 months or more. Im travelling in Sept 2018 and my passport expires Feb 2019 has anyone issues with this before? Should/do I need get a new one?

Totally not true, it only needs to be valid for the duration of your trip. What your friend is talking about applies when travelling to a lot of Gulf and Asian countries, does not apply to EU, US or Canada.

I went to the US for Thanksgiving in Nov. 2011 with a passport that expired in Jan. 2012, no problem at all.

Take a look at this FAQ, click on 'Passport validity and the six month rule'....

https://ie.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/contact-us-nonimmigrant-visas/contact-us-nonimmigrant-visas/

Thanks for that, Iv never been to the states myself so was unsure of the process and was thinking that cant be true. Im fine so once its valid until Feb 2019 I have no idea what my friend was talking about at least I dont have get a new one going.

Thanks for that, Iv never been to the states myself so was unsure of the process and was thinking that cant be true. Im fine so once its valid until Feb 2019 I have no idea what my friend was talking about at least I dont have get a new one going.

One time i went to the States and the day i was returning home there was only a week left for it to expire.

Thanks clearly my friend is talking crap so. I was like why would you need to get a new one if theres months left on it

I renewed mine with a couple months left simply because i always leave everything to the last minute.

Thanks clearly my friend is talking crap so. I was like why would you need to get a new one if theres months left on it

He wasn't making it up, just getting confused about the requirements for specific countries. For example if you were travelling to Thailand, there must be at least 6 months remaining on your passport....

1. I would like to go to Thailand for vacation for 2 weeks. I hold British passport. Do I need a visa?

Nationals of the United Kingdom and over 40 other countries are eligible to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose ....

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket......

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/faq-visa-to-thailand

The six month rule theoretically also applies to travel to the US but they have a list of favoured countries called the 'six month club' and if you have a passport from one of those countries, they will assume that there is an extra 6 months remaining on your passport. Ireland is a member.

Visitors travelling to the United States are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the United States. Citizens of the countries listed below are exempt the six-month rule and need only have a passport valid for their intended period of stay.

Link to one-page PDF (download) showing the list of countries ....

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2017-Dec/Six-Month%20Club%20Update122017.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement