Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Cholesterol Yogurt

Options
  • 02-05-2017 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Does anyone know if these have been discontinued? I bought them all the time but there were none in my local Aldi this week, and no price-at-an-empty-storage for them. I don't see them on the website either. ☹️

The Aldi ones are (were?) much nicer than the Lidl, and much cheaper than the premium brands with less plant sterols. So I'd like to be able to get them again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Aldi do Twitter/Facebook/email. If the word on the street is silence, maybe the horse's mouth might know :)

arian wrote: »
    Aldi do Twitter/Facebook/email. If the word on the street is silence, maybe the horse's mouth might know :)

Cool, thanks. I'll let you know what they say.

Cool, thanks. I'll let you know what they say.

"We can confirm that this product has now been discontinued in all of our stores. We appreciate this is disappointing but would like to reassure you that we are continuously changing and reviewing our products to keep up with the changes in the market and also in line with customer feedback such as yours. We will ensure your comments regarding this product are passed onto our Buying Department for future review. We hope this helps. Thanks again."

That is unfortunate. The Aldi yogurts were much nicer than the Lidl version, which tastes powdery, and in am affordable price range, unlike Benecol.

Does anyone know of other Cholesterol yogurt drinks on the market worth looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

I like the Tesco blueberry ones myself. They are quite sweet though.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/value-for-money-1.1643815

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

+1 for the Tesco Strawberry ones... bit 'thicker' than say a Danone Actimel but not powdery or artificial tasting.

Anyone know if Dunnes have an own brand cholesterol yoghurt drink?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Was in Aldi Naas this evening. Cholesterol reducing drink back in. Think it might be a new brand, Brooklea, not tried it yet. Flavours there were Blueberry and Light Natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone who has slightly raised cholesterol, I like the idea of using these and the marg spread etc, but Jez, why are they so expensive?

Especially the Flora Proactive and Benecol brands, is it they know people will pay anything to improve their health?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Was in Aldi Naas this evening. Cholesterol reducing drink back in. Think it might be a new brand, Brooklea, not tried it yet. Flavours there were Blueberry and Light Natural.

I don't know specifically, but in general if Aldi/Lidl remove a product for a few weeks, and it then returns, the returning product is a degraded version. Check where the new one comes from, but who remembers the source of the old one? Brooklea is a brand Aldi use in the UK.

Kat1170 wrote: »

The old ones were Strawberry, Peach (think), and natural. No blueberry, and no "light" natural, so these are different drinks. And I balk at seeing "light"... What have they added to make it "light"? (Yes, added! Check the ingredients for some crappy sludge (like starch, or gum) they add to thicken it after they remove some natural fats).

I've tried the Tesco ones and they are quite nice. While they have added sugar, the total amount of sugar in them in _less_ than in the No Added Sugar actimel drinks! I like the strawberry. I'll try the blueberry next.

• Advertisement

I was in my local Aldi the other day and I saw the prices up for the yogurts, but they didn't have any (nor a space for them - I guess they just didn't actually put on the on the shelf by then). Has anyone tried them? If so, how to they compare to the old ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The Blueberry one is Ok. No great taste of Blueberries tbh, but Ok.
    The Original flavour one however, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope !!

Yeah, I didn't like any of the new Aldi ones, so I now get the Tesco ones. I hadn't been to Tesco in a long time -- now Aldi have given me cause to go, just because they decided to change one yogurt. Aldi now make a lot less money from me 'cos when I'm in Tesco I buy what I need there. I used do the best majority of my shopping in Aldi, now I do maybe half.

Silly move by them, really. Cheapen one product, lose a lot of money by pushing people to other shops to get their better alternative.

Advertisement