Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence question AGAIN

Options
  • 02-05-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I called to local garda station this evening for a new gun licence form for a new rifle I want to get and was asked how many guns I had, I was then asked would the guns I already own not be capable of doing what my new rifle is intended for.i wasn't given time to reply but was told to chance filling in the form anway incase i might get it.???????i own a deer rifle and two shotguns and want to buy a small hornet for vermin or am i just wasting me time.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ignore the person at the window.

No law limiting the amount of firearms or frequency of applying. The only factor you have to consider is "good reason". If you don't have a varmint caliber then there is your good reason.

Fill in the FCA1, send it in, and wait.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Not at all, its not down to the gardai you meet at the desk. Its down to the decision of the Super/Chief Super. Don't be put off, if you have a legimate need and use, apply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

Cass wrote: »
    Ignore the person at the window.

Good advice.i suppose i should have used my common sence and told myself to ignore them instead of venting my grievances on boards.

Not at all.

It's an all too common thing. The person at the window, whether your FO or not, is only in an admin role. They don't make the law and don't sign off your application. That is the Super.

The law says you can apply as often as you like for whatever you want. Whether your good reason is goo enough only the Super can decide and it's based on the merits of your application. So send it in. I doubt you'll have any problems.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Not at all.

It's an all too common thing. The person at the window, whether your FO or not, is only in an admin role. They don't make the law and don't sign off your application. That is the Super.

The law says you can apply as often as you like for whatever you want. Whether your good reason is goo enough only the Super can decide and it's based on the merits of your application. So send it in. I doubt you'll have any problems.

Well my valid reason was my 308 rounds are a bit expensive and overkill for vermin. Thats the only reason i have for wanting a small rifle.is that a valid reason

• Advertisement

That and the fact you don't have a varmint or "suitable" caliber for them.

As said you won't have a bother in my opinion.

That and the fact you don't have a varmint or "suitable" caliber for them.

As said you won't have a bother in my opinion.

Well thats all i wanted to hear.thanks for the replys. I'll post when (if) I get it.

Well I got the call today to say my license was granted.usual questions asked.my first time speaking to our new firearms officer and she is sound out.really understands us shooting folk.just the wait for the grant letter now.

Advertisement