Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindfactory €30 delivery charge?

Options
  • 02-05-2017 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a mostly media/very light gaming PC for the OH, which I've managed to get together for possibly just about under €300 before RAM (long story, might be able to get an 8GB freebie).

Quick build rundown: H110 motherboard* €50... G4560 CPU €55... RX460 4GB GPU €99... 7200RPM 500GB HDD for gaming (freebie)... 2-3TB HDD for media (€40-70)... case might be a freebie also (if not, have one picked at €25), 400-450W PSU €30 range (build is 235W).

*I have an i5 6600K so can update the BIOS for Kaby Lake support.

Anyway I was just on mindfactory where I found the 460 and G4560 and was looking around PSUs, when I noticed they charge €30 for delivery to Ireland - slapped both on along with a random PSU for a total of €180 to see if there was a price threshold that might get rid of it but there doesn't appear to be.

I have a vague recollection of someone here saying there was a way to have them waive delivery, just checking if that is the case (and if so, how!) or if I am misremembering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I don't know about waiving delivery, that's news to me,
    but I believe the case is what's taking you up to that €30 delivery charge, probably the weight or bulk of it.

Try removing that from the order and see if it's cheaper.
    Most people would get their case from the likes of Amazon.co.uk and get it sent via the free delivery option there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Moon54 wrote: »
    I don't know about waiving delivery, that's news to me,
    but I believe the case is what's taking you up to that €30 delivery charge, probably the weight or bulk of it.

Try removing that from the order and see if it's cheaper.
    Most people would get their case from the likes of Amazon.co.uk and get it sent via the free delivery option there.
    It was only the CPU, GPU & a PSU that I had in the package - did some fiddling around and it appears to be the GPU that the charge is coming from - €30 seems a little exorbitant for a smaller size GPU delivery - https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4GB-MSI-Radeon-RX-460-4G-OC-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--x8-Retail-_1123631.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Ahh, I guess that's a fixed charge now.
    I guess the charge would be worth it if you're going for a bigger build as the component savings would make it worthwhile.

Have you priced what you need at Amazon? Prices wouldn't be as good but with their free delivery it might work out roughly the same as with MindFactory.

I also like using Scan.co.uk, postage is reasonable there;

Moon54 wrote: »
    Ahh, I guess that's a fixed charge now.
    I guess the charge would be worth it if you're going for a bigger build as the component savings would make it worthwhile.

Have you priced what you need at Amazon? Prices wouldn't be as good but with their free delivery it might work out roughly the same as with MindFactory.

I also like using Scan.co.uk, postage is reasonable there;
    I'll give scan a go, cheers. Yeah I guess I'll be looking at Amazon there - can get one there for & 118 or so with free delivery (or used for 103). Might hold out and see if the 560 release drops it a little too, I'm being a bit stubborn on keeping prices low since its a surprise and I know she'll have a silent panic if it costs too much so aiming for under 300 depending on the case/ram being free and under 100 on the gpu since the media is probably the main part of it. Gpu is just for some fun playing some games together a bit since we're stuck long distance for the next while (london/Dublin) and its a good change for skype/texts.

Plus she works in movies, loves game f thrones, lotr etc, so I have to get her to play my copy of the witcher (even if just on medium). :D

Decent prices for some bits at novatech too if you're looking. They don't deliver to Ireland but do free delivery, so you can bunch it all together and use parcel motel for €3.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I didn't read through your post fully just browsed through but there is always a charge of 30 euro with mind factory it is 60 if you also order a case off them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

GTX1050 is a similar price and a better card so I'd go for that.

The problem is I'm really quite tied to around €100 or less and the best I've been able to find on a 1050 after delivery etc is more around €120, the gaming aspect is going to be very light. The 4GB 460/G4560 combo on youtube tests also appears to break 50fps on med/high quite easily which is more than I expected from it.

If I can snag a 1050 for €100 including delivery somewhere I probably would do so though, so have been keeping an eye out but not really having much joy.

By the way, what would the significance of the extra 2GB of the 460 VRAM be, compared to the stronger clock speeds, output processor, pixel rate etc of the 1050? I've always been confused how they stack up, same with the 470/570 8GB vs the 480/580 4GB models?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Depends on the game and settings. Most newer games are using at least 3 - 4GB of Vram these days though.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Depends on the game and settings. Most newer games are using at least 3 - 4GB of Vram these days though.

Yeah, that's my main concern. There's a good chance what gaming is done would be on 720p which would probably get rid of most/any issues but for a minimal system (and I may be wrong) lower powered with more VRAM struck me as possibly a safer bet.

Advertisement