Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downlights & Insulation

Options
  • 02-05-2017 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Quick Query on downlights and insulation.

I was advised previously that putting them in the ceiling of a bungalow wasn't a good idea due to fact you couldn't insulate above them.

I've since read the following on the SEAI website:

If the lighting is not a newer lighting that comes with an integrated cover then it will be necessary to fit a suitable recessed lighting enclosure around the light fitting in the roof space. This will allow insulation to be installed on and around the fitting and will greatly reduce heat loss through the recessed light fitting from the home.

Could someone please point in the direction of a downlight that has this integrated cover which could then be insulated over? Or do all the newer downlights have this cover?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

There is a company called downlight covers direct that sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I put in new downlighters a few weeks ago and used thermahoods to cover. I found them to be a great job. Delivered fierce quickly. And a good bit cheaper than them crappy paper machee ones

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Treepole wrote:
    Could someone please point in the direction of a downlight that has this integrated cover which could then be insulated over? Or do all the newer downlights have this cover?

Aurora lighting have them. There's a few threads about them already have a search. They have what you are looking for but restrict them to low wattage LED lamps

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Stoner wrote: »
    Aurora lighting have them. There's a few threads about them already have a search. They have what you are looking for but restrict them to low wattage LED lamps

Thanks, would local electrical stores like Trade Electric stock Aurora?

Treepole wrote:
    Thanks, would local electrical stores like Trade Electric stock Aurora?

Some used to google them and check the distribution list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Stoner wrote: »
    Some used to google them and check the distribution list

Jaysus, I'd say you are a joy to deal with. I thought this was a discussion forum. Thanks for the pointer, less thanks for the attitude.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

This thread is really interesting to me at the moment - I had spots put in the bedroom but I pulled the insulation back from around them because I feared they'd over heat. They look like this: Fire-rated-Satin-chrome-Downlight.jpg

These seem to be the same Aurora type mentioned above? If so, is it perfectly fine to have insulation over them? Is there any limit to the depth of insulation, as I have quite a bit in the attic.

Thanks!

Treepole wrote:
    Jaysus, I'd say you are a joy to deal with. I thought this was a discussion forum. Thanks for the pointer, less thanks for the attitude.

I've helped about 20 people about these fittings here TBH.
    Use the search feature on the site you'll find exactly what you want.

They pulled out of Ireland, so you could spend 2 minutes and look at their website​ instead of being narky and lazy

:)

They are very good at this. With an insulated can. Not just an enclosed fitting.

You can get them with a cage at the top.

You can also get them insulated , that one is not.

I've tested them with a thermal camera, they are very effective

Advertisement