Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aaron Lennon

• 02-05-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Apologies if this has already been posted; had a quick scan of the first couple of pages and couldn't find any thread about this. Anyway, it seems that Aaron has been detained under the UK's Mental Health Act;
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4467162/Aaron-Lennon-detained-mental-health-act.html
    I always thought he was a decent player. Sad to see he's having a tough time at the moment. Hopefully he'll get the help and support he needs and deserves.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hope he gets the help he needs and recovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

That's really out of the blue. It must be serious if he has been detained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh god, poor fella! Hopefully this will be seen as a corner turned for him down the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Awful news but hopefully now he will get the help he needs and will come out the other side better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hadn't noticed him not playing...a bit of a career that promised so much.

Just goes to show that money isn't everything...I'm sure he has made more money than he'll ever need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

The story mirrors what happened to a pal of mine, who thankfully has come out the other side

I hope he gets the help he needs and he's back fighting fit in no time

Money means **** all. Health is your wealth.
    Doesn't read to well. Poor lad suffering from depression I take it. Glad for him and his family that a member of the public reacted and contacted Police.
    Depression has impacted people I know / used to know so can always relate when you here about it in the public.
    One would hope he gets through it and gets the help he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Stories I'm reading this morning are really piercing.

A stark reminder that regardless of the money or lifestyle, these are just human beings, who experience and suffer the same issues and problems we all can.

Hope he gets the help required and can get a good balance back to his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'll tell you what gets my goat and is really prevalent among social media simpletons these days.

A fan from the local rival team supporting someone struggling on the opposite team and thinks it's some sort of giant leap of humanity.

Like all the Liverpool fans tweeting "colour doesn't matter today, get well soon lad". Maybe an added picture of an Everton jersey too just to send home just how rounded an individual they are.

It's such a narcissistic move, we get you're not a psychopath who doesn't wish a mental illness on a human being, no need to bring who you support into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

blueser wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been posted; had a quick scan of the first couple of pages and couldn't find any thread about this. Anyway, it seems that Aaron has been detained under the UK's Mental Health Act;
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4467162/Aaron-Lennon-detained-mental-health-act.html
    I always thought he was a decent player. Sad to see he's having a tough time at the moment. Hopefully he'll get the help and support he needs and deserves.

Decent F365 article on how the Daily Mail have chosen to report the story:

http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-aaron-lennon-daily-mail-and-daily-mirror
    A hatchet job. A brazen, disgraceful hatchet job, not on a player who you are accusing of letting his country down because England didn?t do very well in an international tournament (see Raheem Sterling), but a man who is suffering from mental illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It's OK not to be OK. Hope he gets well soon.

Daily Mail continue to be a ****ing disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Daily Mail continue to be a ****ing disgrace

It's rivaling The Sun for the "Biggest scumbags in journalism" title

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'll tell you what gets my goat and is really prevalent among social media simpletons these days.

A fan from the local rival team supporting someone struggling on the opposite team and thinks it's some sort of giant leap of humanity.

Like all the Liverpool fans tweeting "colour doesn't matter today, get well soon lad". Maybe an added picture of an Everton jersey too just to send home just how rounded an individual they are.

It's such a narcissistic move, we get you're not a psychopath who doesn't wish a mental illness on a human being, no need to bring who you support into it.

I agree, but social media is riddled with this tedious kind of 'humble-bragging'. It's not going away, best to ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I hope Aaron gets the help he needs and I look forward to see him playing football next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That's really out of the blue. It must be serious if he has been detained.

If you see a doctor and he/she says you have depression they will ask you if you feel you will self harm or worse. If the person says yes then the doctor has to inform the police for that persons safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It's rivaling The Sun for the "Biggest scumbags in journalism" title

Hillsborough coverage was almost thirty years ago.

Most people (including The Sun newspaper) accept its coverage was totally unacceptable.

Drop the virtue signalling and move on would be my advice.

I'm okay with that. Given that the alternatives are saying nothing or taking the piss out of him because he happens to play for a rival team. I think it's heartening that people are showing support to him, because it doesn't always happen in football.

Taking an opportunity to just bash people for using social media to do so seems a bit meanspirited if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It wasn't a thing before social media. It's all show for the likes, favourites, retweets etc..

Same bollocks after the Dortmund bomb with Monaco fans getting Bartra's name printed on a Monaco jersey just to upload it to social media and be told how great they are for supporting him. Not to mention the couple of idiots I saw who had half & half BVB/Monaco jerseys for the second leg with Bartra on the back.

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm okay with that. Given that the alternatives are saying nothing or taking the piss out of him because he happens to play for a rival team. I think it's heartening that people are showing support to him, because it doesn't always happen in football.

Taking an opportunity to just bash people for using social media to do so seems a bit meanspirited if you ask me.

If you're OK with it the point completely eludes you. And you're missing the most normal alternative, to send your best wishes without stating any club allegiance.

• Advertisement

If you're OK with it the point completely eludes you. And you're missing the most normal alternative, to send your best wishes without stating any club allegiance.

Well, not really. By explicitly stating your club allegiance you are making the point clear that an issue like this actually transcends club allegiance, particularly if you heavily identify with the rival club.I've seen and heard too many football fans over the years let petty alliengences dictate how they should behave about certain issues, rather than being compassionate rational human beings. So what if theres perhaps an element of narcissism to it? Is that the end of the world. Sure posting your opinion here has an narcassistic component too, let's not kid ourselves!

So I'm not going to condscendingly sniff about it if people decide to post messages of support for Aaron Lennon even if it appears to be oh so gauche and cynical as some evidently emminent mind readers on here seem to think. I'd rather they did that than laugh and chant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

If people want to wish him well, let them do it. It's much better than the alternative of throwing abuse at him. (Which will probably happen by a pocket of "fans" when he recovers and returns to football).

Abuse still runs high in the game in the stands, even if the majority will give him the support he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

padd b1975 wrote: »

Most people (including The Sun newspaper) accept its coverage was totally unacceptable.

I was thinking more of Kelvin McKenzie's recent diatribe, which was pretty scummy, you must agree? That newspaper hasn't moved on. And I'm not even a Liverpoool fan.

Don't make assumptions would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I recall being at a rovers bohs derby a good 17 or so years ago and the rovers keepers brother had died the previous week, cue the bohs fans singing "where's your brother gone, where's your brother gone". Classy stuff, I get what you're saying but faux sympathy is miles ahead of heartless jeering.

Glazers Out!

Arghus wrote: »
    Well, not really. By explicitly stating your club allegiance you are making the point clear that an issue like this actually transcends club allegiance, particularly if you heavily identify with the rival club.I've seen and heard too many football fans over the years let petty alliengences dictate how they should behave about certain issues, rather than being compassionate rational human beings. So what if theres perhaps an element of narcissism to it? Is that the end of the world. Sure posting your opinion here has an narcassistic component too, let's not kid ourselves!

So I'm not going to condscendingly sniff about it if people decide to post messages of support for Aaron Lennon even if it appears to be oh so gauche and cynical as some evidently emminent mind readers on here seem to think. I'd rather they did that than laugh and chant about it.

The notion that club allegiance would transcend someone's mental health does not need pointing out. If someone doesn't have those things in perspective they're a hopeless case to begin with.

Obviously it's not the end of the world, nothing that's talked about here is, but it just irks me hence the post. Like I'm sure a lot of the people who do it don't realise how dim witted it is and just see it as a big retweet/like bringer from fellow dim wits. Those type of posts are always at the top of the twitter most liked.

nullzero wrote: »
    I recall being at a rovers bohs derby a good 17 or so years ago and the rovers keepers brother had died the previous week, cue the bohs fans singing "where's your brother gone, where's your brother gone". Classy stuff, I get what you're saying but faux sympathy is miles ahead of heartless jeering.

Yes, grievous bodily harm is miles ahead of murder but I'd prefer neither cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

padd b1975 wrote: »

You say that like they've learned their lessen and been a paragon of righteousness ever since or something.

They're still an absolutley garbage, lowest common denominator, nasty 'news'paper.

How many days is it since Kelvin MacKenzie in an article for them wrote that the news headline that would give the country the most joy would be: "Jeremy Corbyn knifed to death by an asylum seeker"?

And just how recently were they banned from Goodison for comments about Ross Barkley?

They, and the Mail, and the aptly named Mirror, are the mirror we can hold up to see the worst in us.

Welcome to social media. That's happening a decade and is related to all subjects. It's a load of nonsense but probably does little harm. I'd lump people that get annoyed by such things into the same category as the people who post them.

Anyway, hopefully he gets the help he needs. Same as anyone with any mental illness.

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Welcome to social media. That's happening a decade and is related to all subjects. It's a load of nonsense but probably does little harm. I'd lump people that get annoyed by such things into the same category as the people who post them.

Where would you lump those who comment on the people that get annoyed at the people who post them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Where would you lump those who comment on the people that get annoyed at the people who post them?

I don't know, the coastguard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

nullzero wrote: »
    I recall being at a rovers bohs derby a good 17 or so years ago and the rovers keepers brother had died the previous week, cue the bohs fans singing "where's your brother gone, where's your brother gone".

Jesus Christ. That's horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Yes, grievous bodily harm is miles ahead of murder but I'd prefer neither cheers.

There's no comparison between what I said and what you said.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I agree it's annoying but that irritation also has to be nuanced. In many clubs fans will openly mock the deaths or infirmity of rival players or fans. Just last week in Turin Juventus fans wrote horrific graffiti on a memorial site for plane crash victims who played for Torino.

Sadly in soccer, the colour of the jersey (and of the player) does sometimes matter.
    :(

Turtwig wrote: »
    I agree it's annoying but that irritation also has to be nuanced. In many clubs fans will openly mock the deaths or infirmity of rival players or fans. Just last week in Turin Juventus fans wrote horrific graffiti on a memorial site for plane crash victims who played for Torino.

Sadly in soccer, the colour of the jersey (and of the player) does sometimes matter.
    :(

People that do that are scumbags or uneducated, or both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lennon is back in training and appears to have recovered, great to see

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40557312

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Lennon is back in training and appears to have recovered, great to see

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40557312

I suspect he will be in recovery for a long time. You don't just shake off depression.
    Great to see him back and hopefully his recovery continues.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah maybe recovered is the wrong word, he's on the right track though it seems.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement