Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Road Bike Tyres

Options
  • 02-05-2017 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi
    Got my first Road Bike today. Im starting to cycle to work for weight loss but think i might have made a boo boo!
    I bought a road bike with tyres that are 700-23.
    It feels like they are made of concrete when im riding it.
    Also i am a big guy at 6'3 and 20 stone and worried that the wheels and tyres are not suitable for someone my size. I was reading about moving up to 28 tyres but what type of difference will this make.
    Should i get thicker wheels???
    Can anyone please give me info on what i should do or am i ok with what i have.
    Ps i know nothing about bikes except how to cycle them.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Most bikes will take 700x25, but 28's maybe too wide. Depends on how much clearance your bike frame has. What type of bike do you have?

I wouldn't worry about the wheels, there a lot stronger than they look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0oQIRIyrs

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

There's a few things here to consider.

First off wider tyres will make a more comfortable ride. But how wide you can go depends on your frame and fork - how much clearance have you got?
    Where you bought the bike should be able to tell you or post the make and model here and someone will advise.

Also, you are a big guy so your wheels might not be built to take you. Again post the make and model and you'll get some feedback here.

Overall, I'd say fit 28s if you can and see how you get on. In 6 months you might need new and better wheels. Use the 28s till they're worn out then move down to 25s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hi
    Got my first Road Bike today. Im starting to cycle to work for weight loss but think i might have made a boo boo!
    I bought a road bike with tyres that are 700-23.
    It feels like they are made of concrete when im riding it.
    Also i am a big guy at 6'3 and 20 stone and worried that the wheels and tyres are not suitable for someone my size. I was reading about moving up to 28 tyres but what type of difference will this make.
    Should i get thicker wheels???
    Can anyone please give me info on what i should do or am i ok with what i have.
    Ps i know nothing about bikes except how to cycle them.
    Thanks

What type wheels? Some are made that will take higher stress / weight - for the weight of touring. These will have a higher spoke count for additional strength.

Check the clearance of your frame first - not all take 28mm tyres due to the distance between the top of the tyre and the frame.

25mm should work and will feel more comfortable. As regards them feeling like concrete, well they should be inflated to at least 100 psi / 6 bar - this will help with ride and punctures (less air, more give in tyre = more likely to get flats).

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

There are more knowledgeable poster here who'll be better able to tell you about psi to weight ratios - basically how much to pump up your tyres - but a road bike will always have a bit of a jarring feeling at first if you're used to big, knobbly tyres. It's what makes them faster! But that concrete feeling will fade away as you get used to it. A different saddle might help as well maybe and maybe better padding on your handlebars. Don't despair at all!
    It depends on the type of bike if your frame can even take 700-28' tyres, someone else here might know your model of bike, but I know a lot of road models don't. But you'll definitely be able to fit 700-25 tyres. Most people find 700-25 tyres more comfortable than 23s and these can certainly go on your current wheels. In fact you probably got pretty bad tyres coming with your new bike (they usually are) so you'd have to replace them with new puncture resistant ones anyway. You may as well make those 700-25 as a first step and see if that helps.
    Other posters will know heaps about this, you're on the right road!
    Edit: beaten to it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

IMO, 25mm will probably help a little, but won't be a miracle, worth giving it a go sure. It will take few rides before one becomes accustomed to firm ride. For tyre pressure, it will take some experimentation, start with, say, 110psi (assuming tire can take it) and see if you get no pinch flats you may reduce pressure or increase it. Unweight the saddle and unlock elbows on rough terrain. Worth checking tyre pressure before every ride. Have a spare tube kit with you.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

While wider tyres will certainly help, a part of this is just getting your ass conditioned to the abuse gross as that might sound. The more relaxed your riding position, e.g. elbows bent, loose grip on bars, the more natural damping of road noise you get. For really crappy sections, left your ass of the saddle slightly. Also getting used to all the hand positions on the bars gives you freedom to move around the saddle a bit more. FWIW, it took me about a year to get this under control, and on buying a new bike also went for one that could take wider tyres (at the expense of some speed).

Advertisement