Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Lawn Help Required

Options
  • 03-05-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi all, my front lawn has become destroyed with moss, to be honest it was never great. I'm keen to kill off the moss and try and sew some new grass, doesn;t have to be immaculate but would just like to get rid of moss. As you can see i have a red robin hedge i planted two years ago so want to be careful that anything i put down doesn't damage this. Any suggestions on the best products out there for the job?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll also need to address the conditions that allowed the moss to thrive in the first place; what are the soil and aspect like?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

ah i have no idea, it's a house in an estate so doubt there was any great care given to lawn. The problem is it doesn't get a lot of sunlight, sun shines on back of house all day.It's always been mossy but this year seems to be worst ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

ah i have no idea, it's a house in an estate so doubt there was any great care given to lawn. The problem is it doesn't get a lot of sunlight, sun shines on back of house all day.It's always been mossy but this year seems to be worst ever

Go over it with a fork to improve the drainage

Get a bag of soluble iron sulfate and and soak it five or six times when the weather changes..Doesnt matter how much iron you put on the grass will come back from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

If it doesn't get sunlight I'd be tempted to pave it over. Moss will thrive in grass that gets no sun

ah it does get sunlight at certain times of the day but now a lot. There are other house on the same row and their lawns aren't nearly as mossy. Are any of the 3 in 1 products worth trying? Paving over it is not an option

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the soil could be heavily compacted, especially if the housing estate is not that old. you should try digging a small hole, could be just an inch of topsoil spread across heavy subsoil.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Iron sulphate, a week or two until it turns black, scarify it, and then fork it or use an aerator.

When finished a decent lawn feed then or sprinkle fertiliser and wash it in.

will the 3 in 1 stuff work or will i have to plant new seed? Also is it ok to use with the hedge i have?

The 3-1 stuff isn't really ideal. It's more a general treatment for lawn maintenance rather than a specific treatment for a problem.

If you want to rid your lawn of moss properly then the steps above will do it.

But is it safe to use around plants/hedges is what i'm asking? i've read that a liquid solution is best for getting rid quickly

• Advertisement

Shouldn't harm plants or hedging but you should still take care to apply it only to the lawn. Any patio or driveway can also stain from iron sulphate so be precise and have a brush handy to sweep it off any paved areas if you err.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Go over it twice with a scarifier. You'll gets bags of stuff off it. You'll also get enough soil to scatter lawn seed and light rake and roll.
    If you haven't a roller, tamp down with the back of a shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've used Mo Bacter on our moss and am happy with the results.
    We've got a gris hedge bordering the lawn and a fire bark maple in the middle of it that don't seem to have been affected.

Advertisement