Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada Working Holiday

Options
  • 03-05-2017 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I just came back from a big trip in the states and it really inspired me to do something I have been putting off for a while. I did the Australian Working Holiday visa when I was 18 and spent the whole time getting lashed and working average jobs. I am 30 now, living in London for 8 years and have a decent job as an IT Contractor.
    The time feels right. I have a strong base in London so I really have nothing to loose on this. I would kick myself if I didnt do this. Also having a base to explore more of the country and the US is exciting.
     I do have a few questions left over from the research I have been doing....
    - I have 1 qualification in IT and its a standard A+  I have been in the industry three years and gained my experience on site. . The job specs I have seen all ask for degrees . Even in the industry I was in previously they require some sort of higher education. Sadly, I dont have any, I moved straight to oz and gained experience by working rather than study. I managed to get the job I have now because I interviewed well...and the job I have now is a very good one. Will Canadian companies dismiss my CV or will they at least let me interview for the job? Or should I go through some agencies? 
    - In terms of accommodation, prices seem very reasonable in Toronto (in comparison with London) I can get a studio for the same price as a flat share here. The one thing I have found difficult is the lack of places that are furnished. A friend in the US say places there rent out furniture for a fixed price, does this happen in Toronto? Or should I just stick with a flat share in Toronto?
    -With leases etc... will I find it difficult to rent a flat by myself? Will they do a credit check against my English account or will they be happy with guarantors and references?
    - What areas would be best to look for a place to live. I don't really need to be downtown or central and prefer being somewhat away from things as long as the transport is decent. 
    - I know the winters are harsh there, do things shut down or is there still a social atmosphere during the wintry months? 
    These are the main questions I have now. Sorry if they have been all asked before but it would be great for some feedback
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I don't know much about Toronto (I'm in Vancouver) but not having a degree will put you at a disadvantage. Unfurnished places are the norm - you can find furnished places but they will cost more. If you do the maths it ends up being cheaper just to get Ikea stuff or get stuff off Craigslist.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

I don't know much about Toronto (I'm in Vancouver) but not having a degree will put you at a disadvantage. Unfurnished places are the norm - you can find furnished places but they will cost more. If you do the maths it ends up being cheaper just to get Ikea stuff or get stuff off Craigslist.
    Fair enough. Its never come against me in the UK and I have always had a good city job , I tend to blag well in interviews and then learn quickly but I am at the point now I can just do what needs to be done....just need to prove that.Ya , cheap furniture might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

filmfanb wrote: »
    Fair enough. Its never come against me in the UK and I have always had a good city job , I tend to blag well in interviews and then learn quickly but I am at the point now I can just do what needs to be done....just need to prove that.Ya , cheap furniture might be the way to go.

It's a different culture in Canada, they really like their irrelevant pieces of paper and I would say without a degree your chances of even getting an interview are significantly diminished.

It's a different culture in Canada, they really like their irrelevant pieces of paper and I would say without a degree your chances of even getting an interview are significantly diminished.
    I am going to email some agencies and ask for some advice. I have always been up against people with degrees and diplomas my whole life , just need my foot in the door.
    Stupid question, when they say diploma, is it higher education or high school...I know I shouldn't compare the American system but ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'll try answer on the basis of my own research and spending some time in Toronto:
    Will Canadian companies dismiss my CV or will they at least let me interview for the job? Or should I go through some agencies?

Depends what you want to do. If you had a really good niche, say SAP or similar, you'll probably land without hassle. But I know that most recruiters check boxes and not having a college education could disbar you from moving further. That said, its the same all over the world. Where this will likely count most against you is if you went for Express Entry or residency. You'd need strong support as the grading system has points awarded on academic achievement.
    In terms of accommodation, prices seem very reasonable in Toronto

Toronto is starting to get very pricy. A house sold for 1 million over list a few weeks ago. I know you won't be buying but its not exactly a cheap city. I find it on par with Ireland and the UK in terms of living costs.
    With leases etc...

Most leases are yearly with the first and last paid up front. I don't think you'd have an issue with some references.
    What areas would be best to look for a place to live. I don't really need to be downtown or central and prefer being somewhat away from things as long as the transport is decent.

Can't help on the area but Toronto transport is really good. Everything is very walkable or bikable. The cost would be on par with London.
    I know the winters are harsh there, do things shut down or is there still a social atmosphere during the wintry months?

Never heard any complaints unless you are stuck in a northern territory. The PATH system in Toronto connects the city in the Winter and the last few winters have been exceptionally mild (Little snow) It is quite a change from the UK and Ireland however, so be prepared for a new type of cold.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that.
    I think job is really the only thing worrying me at the moment. If I get my foot in the door then cool and willing to accept roles lower than the one I have now. This is a working holiday and not sure I have it in mind to stay past my visa but obviously wont mention that.
    Everything else seems to be on par with the UK which works perfectly. 
    The only thing really stopping me is me. Getting out of my comfort zone is the big step but very excited by it all.

@filmfanb, if IT is your niche, I'd suggest looking at Waterloo & Kitchener. Its pretty much the Palo Alto of Canada with a lot of start ups in the area long with all the major players e.g. Google, fb etc. Its not all that far from Toronto either. Both towns are side by side. Toronto, while having a tech scene, is more of a financial services type city with established business. You'd probably get in the door faster at a start up if you had an in-demand or consulting skill.

ironclaw wrote: »
    @filmfanb, if IT is your niche, I'd suggest looking at Waterloo & Kitchener. Its pretty much the Palo Alto of Canada with a lot of start ups in the area long with all the major players e.g. Google, fb etc. Its not all that far from Toronto either. Both towns are side by side. Toronto, while having a tech scene, is more of a financial services type city with established business. You'd probably get in the door faster at a start up if you had an in-demand or consulting skill.
    Very interesting to hear! In terms of transport is it commutable from most areas in Toronto? 
    My niche is the legal system but I am pretty flexible in what I do. Is there a legal area of Toronto like there is in London?

Very interesting to hear! In terms of transport is it commutable from most areas in Toronto? 

I'll preface by saying this is based on personal research and talking to people in these areas, I haven't actually lived or worked in Kitchener but a friend was in college in Waterloo and I frequent the general area pretty often.

Commute, depends where you consider 'Toronto' to end. You have the main city and then some major suburbs like Mississauga, Burlington and Hamilton. They are cities in their own right, all of which have pretty significant business presence. Hamilton particularly has a start up scene under the surface.

Waterloo and Kitchener would be a pretty extreme commute from the outskirts of Toronto. You're talking an hour by car (from say the airport which is just outside the city) and Toronto traffic, depending where you start, can be solid. So add your bus in there, and you're looking at a hefty amount of time spent on a bus. They are however improving train links with massive investment at the moment, so you might have a viable train link depending on your start point. You'd probably be better off living in Kitchener and commuting to Toronto as it places you nicely between all the major areas of interest. Waterlook is likewise a college town, so lots going on.
    My niche is the legal system but I am pretty flexible in what I do. Is there a legal area of Toronto like there is in London?

Can't speak on this topic as I have no idea. It certainly would, its a major world city but I suppose the question is how transferable your skill set is and whether you can work their professionally e.g. Accreditation, recognized standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I live in Van and found it extremely hard to get a job, as I don't have a degree. I finally got into an IT role that I wanted, it took 8 months though (from when I arrived) and I had put in quite a bit of legwork before moving over (I was put in touch with the company before I moved). Be aware that you may be willing to take a lower paid job, but Van (if you come here) has the lowest wages and highest cost of living in Canada.

• Advertisement

Ray37 wrote: »
    I live in Van and found it extremely hard to get a job, as I don't have a degree. I finally got into an IT role that I wanted, it took 8 months though (from when I arrived) and I had put in quite a bit of legwork before moving over (I was put in touch with the company before I moved). Be aware that you may be willing to take a lower paid job, but Van (if you come here) has the lowest wages and highest cost of living in Canada.
    Ya, I have accepted I may need a lower paid job but thats fine. Aslong as I working and getting that pay cheque then we are all good. I am hoping to go over the a decent about of money and the pound is decent against the canadian dollar. 
    Hoping to arrive in July at this point. Excited as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

If you are heading to the west coast around then you should be here for some great weather! Due to be a long, hot summer this year yahoooo!

Ray37 wrote: »
    If you are heading to the west coast around then you should be here for some great weather! Due to be a long, hot summer this year yahoooo!
    def hoping to get some time in on the west coast when i arrive.

Advertisement