Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2017 - general thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Seems theyve cancelled the prizes for the best downhill riders. Didnt seem to getting much support for the idea online and the Health & safety annoraks were out in force aswell.

The recon ride preview podcast
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/recon-ride-giro-ditalia-podcast/

STAGE PREVIEWS???

Any other takers for doing stage previews? I,ll get the 1st stage up by Thursday evening and 2nd aswell on Friday Evening but wont be around over weekend to do stages 3 & 4.

Currently at the Stelvio..
    2xTfUIu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

that won't stop them once they get the scrapers to the road!

stelvio-pass-dario-cataldo-giro-stage-16-2014.jpg

icubrmel.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Steven-Kruijswijk-snow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

ronoc wrote: »
    2xTfUIu.jpg

They only have to go there twice on Stage 16. I forecast another 'polemica' on that day - after all it wouldn't be the Giro without some controversy and confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

ronoc wrote: »
    2xTfUIu.jpg

Looks like it did in 2014 at this stage...and Quintana won the stage , took the lead and won the race overall

And remember it was the stage Quintana left everyone behind (ignoring the red flag) when the race was neutralised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Ah the Stelvio will be fine, dont worry. A few pics were posted late last week showing the top of the pass road being cleared and the roads looking grand - it has obviously closed again with drifting snow.

The webcams at the top are shown here : http://www.stelvio.net/english/webcam/
    Currently a chilly -9C at the top....ahem.

-9, wonder what the wind chill factor would be on the descent. Be a hard man who,d do that descent in a short sleeve jersey, shorts & no overshoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Heading over with 8/9 from the club for Stage 9, really looking forward to it. Climbing part of the route including Blockhaus on the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Giro Highlights at 10pm on Quest Channel every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Lets hope there is a good battle and a fair outcome as the race as been decided by other factors in some recent editions. Quintana took advantage over confusion about a neutralised descent in 2014 and took the race lead, while in 2016, Nibali was gifted the race by Kruiswijk's crash late on.

neris wrote: »
    STAGE PREVIEWS???

Any other takers for doing stage previews? I,ll get the 1st stage up by Thursday evening and 2nd aswell on Friday Evening but wont be around over weekend to do stages 3 & 4.

I will do 3 and 4

but looking for a volunteer for 5/6/7

I can do 8/9 ...will need volunteers for the week after that

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I will do 3 and 4

but looking for a volunteer for 5/6/7

I can do 8/9 ...will need volunteers for the week after that

I,ll get a few in next week and the week after but i,ll be away from the 18th. Should be able to get 5-7 done alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Not a backloaded route at all. Two very tough summit finishes in the first week; Etna and Blockhaus. A rider entering the race in prime form can really steal a march on those peaking for week 3.

D9Male wrote: »
    Not a backloaded route at all. Two very tough summit finishes in the first week; Etna and Blockhaus. A rider entering the race in prime form can really steal a march on those peaking for week 3.

I think Geraint Thomas can do this as expecting hm to be in top form at the start

neris wrote: »
    I,ll get a few in next week and the week after but i,ll be away from the 18th. Should be able to get 5-7 done alright

Wellcan soemone take some of 10 onwards ??

Otherwise I guess they will just come to a halt

Wellcan soemone take some of 10 onwards ??

Otherwise I guess they will just come to a halt

I'll do 10, 14 and 16 and let see if other chip in for the third week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I will do 11,12,13.

Hopefully the above stages (Particularly 12,13) will be of interest to us as they will be Sams best chance of going well in the Sprints as his current fitness suggests the early sprint stages may come too early for him to find his best form and as with all grand tours the opening stages may also see the withdrawal of the some of his biggest competitors (Greipel, Ewan, Gaviria) as well as some of the second tier sprinters ( Modolo, Sbaragli)

• Advertisement

Thanks lads...

I will do 15 so we are covered up to stage 16

Neris = 1 & 2
    MPFGLB = 3 & 4
    Neris = 5,6,7
    MPFGLB = 8 & 9
    TheBlaaman = 10
    Cunavalos = 11. 12. & 13
    TheBlaaman = 14
    MPFGLB = 15
    TheBlaaman = 16

Anyone else for stage 17 onwards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Thanks lads...

I will do 15 so we are covered up to stage 16

Neris = 1 & 2
    MPFGLB = 3 & 4
    Neris = 5,6,7
    MPFGLB = 8 & 9
    TheBlaaman = 10
    Cunavalos = 11. 12. & 13
    TheBlaaman = 14
    MPFGLB = 15
    TheBlaaman = 16

Anyone else for stage 17 onwards ?
    I can

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Pirazzi and Ruffoni from Bardiani were popped for GHRP, GH releasing peptides. Two riders from the same team being caught for the same thing likely means others in the team have done similar. Obviously the team should be thrown out.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-two-bardiani-csf-riders-positive-in-out-of-competition-control/

Glad to see they're catching some of the slightly bigger fish, but there are still concerns among many that only the smaller teams are being targeted like this.

The use of GH and related products is allegedly widespread with many more substances not even accounted for by WADA and the UCI.

I wonder will we see more positives announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Is there a velogames setup this year?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Pirazzi and Ruffoni from Bardiani were popped for GHRP, GH releasing peptides. Two riders from the same team being caught for the same thing likely means others in the team have done similar. Obviously the team should be thrown out.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-two-bardiani-csf-riders-positive-in-out-of-competition-control/

Glad to see they're catching some of the slightly bigger fish, but there are still concerns among many that only the smaller teams are being targeted like this.

The use of GH and related products is allegedly widespread with many more substances not even accounted for by WADA and the UCI.

I wonder will we see more positives announced?

The most worrying thing about this for me is the fact that two from the same team were caught at the same time.

The team says they'll be sacked if the B sample is positive as well but if 2 of 9 are at it what does that say about the team itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Is there a velogames setup this year?

There sure is .....

League Name: boards.ie
    League Code: 40022208209

Allez...Allez :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Triple Jump world record holder Jonathan Edwards is on hosting duties on Eurosport. Odd one that, but don't mind him particularly.

2 Riders from one team already booted out for taking some form of Human Growth Hormone. The team could be suspended too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I'm not sure about Thomas for GC, I think he will do well to make the podium.
    Ive watched him race a lot, quality rider for sure but struggles at the very end of big climbs with top quality opposition.
    While Thomas is a great climber i feel Landa would have more of chance of being right in there at the end.
    That third week looks insane, cant wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Weepsie wrote: »
    Triple Jump world record holder Jonathan Edwards is on hosting duties on Eurosport. Odd one that, but don't mind him particularly.

Would prefer Ashley House myself, no Carlton Kirby on commentary either it seems

• Advertisement

I was flicking back on old archives (here http://www.steephill.tv) from previous Giri, in this case, Stage 14 in 2009, and this pic struck me ......

290-PIC32254439.jpg

Gerrans beating Froome in a steep uphill finish........... ;)

The caption reads "The first two men to hit the pivotal 16% grade one km from the finish in San Luca. Simon Gerrans (left) pedals like a winner while Christopher Froome (right) literally hit the wall weaving his way backward to 7th. Froome was overgeared and needed a 27T by his own admission"

How times have changed, eh....?

Advertisement