Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2017 - general thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

greenspurs wrote: »
    And a lot of the Sprinters will go home after todays stage .... :rolleyes:

Yeah, they will - Griepel already said yesterday that he was leaving today, but that is very 'normal' for sprinters and to be expected. For GC guys to leave because they are not likely to win now isn't quite so 'normal'. Landa was in the break the day before yesterday and although he fell away, he didnt look sick.
    I dunno, it seems disrespectful.... contrast it with what Sam Bennet put himself through on the Tour last year.

I guess we can look forward :rolleyes: to a Sky-bot dominated Tour regardless........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The discussion on abandoning because you don't feel like it anymore rather than through injury/illness came up last year, maybe the year before and the year before that too.

I believe if you start at tour already saying what day you're going home you shouldn't be let even start. And if through the tour you say you're leaving now to concentrate on another race because you've done as much as you can now, penalise the team or rider somehow, take something from the appearance fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

It does smack of Sky throwing their toys out of the pram. If Thomas isn’t going to win the overall they're just going to pull him out. I wonder how injured Thomas is. He put in an amazing time trial after his crash.

Maybe I’m doing him a disservice and he can’t continue at the level he wants to. But it does look like the Froome train for July is being protected at all costs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Meh, quelle surprise.......I'm sure the Giro organisers are suitably impressed.

He was in a bad crash, and struggled on. That's more okay than the free pass the sprinters are getting. If he wasn't a Sky rider people wouldn't give it any notice. Do we feel the same about Rohan Dennis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think it's anything to do with it being Sky, I think most of us here are beyond that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Jeez. Thomas and Landa have months of training ruined by a stupid cop and they are criticised. Questioning the seriousness of Thomas's injuries is unfair I think. Does anyone really think he would have been dropped on Tuesday from a 15 man GC group if he was okay?

And what exactly has Landa done to merit criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

D9Male wrote: »
    And what exactly has Landa done to merit criticism?

Joined Sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Thomas lost 40 seconds yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm not annoyed Thomas left. I'm pissed off they pulled an impressive looking Deignan from a winning break to fight a losing battle. Waste of time.

Advertisement