Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment taken twice

Options
  • 03-05-2017 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I used my Visa Debit Card to book two flights on Apr 28th.

The payment has been processed today. On my recent transactions, the flights are charged separately (620) with service charges, and then again together (approx 1240).

I contacted the airline (KLM) who explained that it was not an error on their side - they attempted to process payment twice. It failed the first time, but was successful the second time. They provided a transaction code to give to the bank.

I'd appreciate help with this matter as soon as possible. It's a significant amount extra to be taken and rent is due this week :(

Many thanks,

1h

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

1hsleep wrote: »
    Hi,

The payment has been processed today. On my recent transactions, the flights are charged separately (620) with service charges, and then again together (approx 1240).

I contacted the airline (KLM) who explained that it was not an error on their side - they attempted to process payment twice. It failed the first time, but was successful the second time. They provided a transaction code to give to the bank.

I'd appreciate help with this matter as soon as possible. It's a significant amount extra to be taken and rent is due this week :(

Many thanks,

1h
    Hi 1hrsleep, 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

This sounds what we would describe a ‘Shadow Posting’.
    Shadow Postings can occur when a card payment is cancelled or voided at any of the following after we have authorised it:

·        Point of sale (POS – Transaction with your Visa Debit card in-store)
    ·        Transactions over the phone
    ·        Online Transactions 
    This can take up to five working days to correct on the system and be removed from your account. I'm afraid we would be unable to speed up this process for adjusting the amount to your account. We would suggest contacting KLM again to request them to contact their own merchant services provider who can release these funds to your account. 

Thanks,

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 17 1hsleep

Hi,

Many thanks,

1h
    Hi 1hrsleep, 

Shadow Postings can occur when a card payment is cancelled or voided at any of the following after we have authorised it:

This can take up to five working days to correct on the system and be removed from your account. I'm afraid we would be unable to speed up this process for adjusting the amount to your account. We would suggest contacting KLM again to request them to contact their own merchant services provider who can release these funds to your account. 

Thanks,

Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for your response.

I've been in contact with KLM again and was told the following:

On occasions, it might happen that, when making multiple purchases (tickets and/or services) in a single transaction with a credit card, some banks wrongly reserve the amount twice: once for the total amount and once per every individual Ticket/ Electronic Document. The procedure is commonly known as a double block and is outside of the control of KLM. Seeing this reserved amount on your account may lead to think that the money has been actually taken, but KLM actually receives only one payment.

Realizing how inconvenient this must be, we invite you to contact your bank to request the release of the reserved amount.

This sounds different to what you described. Could you clarify the following please:
    • Regardless of the source of the error, will it be resolved automatically within 5 working days?
    • If it does not automatically resolve, who should I contact?

Thanks,

1h

Hi,

Many thanks,

1h
    Hi 1hrsleep, 

Thanks,

Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

On occasions, it might happen that, when making multiple purchases (tickets and/or services) in a single transaction with a credit card, some banks wrongly reserve the amount twice: once for the total amount and once per every individual Ticket/ Electronic Document. The procedure is commonly known as a double block and is outside of the control of KLM. Seeing this reserved amount on your account may lead to think that the money has been actually taken, but KLM actually receives only one payment.

Realizing how inconvenient this must be, we invite you to contact your bank to request the release of the reserved amount.

This sounds different to what you described. Could you clarify the following please:
    • Regardless of the source of the error, will it be resolved automatically within 5 working days?

[*]

Thanks,

1h

Hi 1h,

Thanks for your reply.

We're sorry to hear that. As they have processed the transaction twice, there would be two separate authorisation codes. Once they cancel one of these authorisation codes the amount will be released back to your account. We find that this would usually be within five working days. If this doesn't occur within this time frame, please contact KLM directly.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 17 1hsleep

Hi,

Many thanks,

1h
    Hi 1hrsleep, 

Thanks,

Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

[*]

Thanks,

1h

[*]

Hi 1h,

Thanks for your reply.

We're sorry to hear that. As they have processed the transaction twice, there would be two separate authorisation codes. Once they cancel one of these authorisation codes the amount will be released back to your account. We find that this would usually be within five working days. If this doesn't occur within this time frame, please contact KLM directly.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

Just to update. KLM have said again that they cannot help me, and to contact my bank. I'm not sure where the error is coming from, but I'm disheartened that nobody has taken responsibility all day. The amount has meant I've had to use my overdraft, which will cost me more money in fees.

I'll wait out the 5 days, and if I haven't heard will make contact with both BOI and KLM again, as I'm guessing KLM.

Thanks for your help,

1h

Hi,

Many thanks,

1h
    Hi 1hrsleep, 

Thanks,

Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

[*]

Thanks,

1h

[*]

Hi 1h,

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks,
    Sarah

[*]
    Hi Sarah,

Just to update. KLM have said again that they cannot help me, and to contact my bank. I'm not sure where the error is coming from, but I'm disheartened that nobody has taken responsibility all day. The amount has meant I've had to use my overdraft, which will cost me more money in fees.

I'll wait out the 5 days, and if I haven't heard will make contact with both BOI and KLM again, as I'm guessing KLM.

Thanks for your help,

1h
    [*]
    Hi 1h, 

We're sorry again to hear this. In these instances as the transaction is processed by the retailer or airline and not Bank of Ireland, it is necessary to wait until this is released back to your account. 

Please let us know if we can help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement
Advertisement