Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Da Dawg pound

• 03-05-2017 3:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Really hoping someone would start a thread before me. Obviously not much interest in the Browns but hopefully in a few years after this draft we'll gain a few fans.

Even if you're not a Browns fan how did you feel about their draft?

I'm personally delighted anyways, happy we waited for a QB & didn't get in a bidding war, Kozier has the tools to be a franchise QB & is a steal at 52.

Also delighted that even if he needs a few years or it doesn't work out, we can try hit a QB again next year with 2 first rounders.

Very excited about Peppers too & Garnett needs no introduction. Exciting times ahead I feel!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I've always had a soft spot for the Brownies.... perennial losers like my former team the San Diego Chargers.

Looks like they didn't F up the 2017 draft too much and picked who they should have, certainly at #1. Still questions at QB of course... although Kessler shows promise. Not sure if Kizer will be the answer, it's like they keep throwing darts and are still trying to hit the bullseye.

Peppers for me was picked too high though, yes great athlete etc but what position does he play?... safety, LB.... offense?

Njoku I like.

Brantley later on is boom/bust.

Best kicker in the draft too!!, in 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

A Browns fan, this is just the best thing ever to happen to this forum!! :D

Thought they had a really solid draft, Kizer was an excellent pick up in the 2nd as you say. Have you any thoughts on Osweiller & what ye will do with him.

I happened to like both the Njoku & Peppers pick, Williams is the type of D-Coordinator who could get good use out of Peppers.

If the ownership stays the course with Hue Jackson, even if this season doesn't see a huge jump in wins, then I think 2018 could be a year they take a big step. The drafting and FA moves along both lines has been very good. Bit surprised they didn't keep Pryor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Browns are my AFC team. I really hope they can build from this draft. Who knows, could we have a Super Bowl Between my two teams in a few years? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I've always had a soft spot for the Brownies.... perennial losers like my former team the San Diego Chargers.

Looks like they didn't F up the 2017 draft too much and picked who they should have, certainly at #1. Still questions at QB of course... although Kessler shows promise. Not sure if Kizer will be the answer, it's like they keep throwing darts and are still trying to hit the bullseye.

Peppers for me was picked too high though, yes great athlete etc but what position does he play?... safety, LB.... offense?

Njoku I like.

Brantley later on is boom/bust.

Best kicker in the draft too!!, in 7th.

I agree about Peppers, the way he was used at Michigan he never had a set position but with the ball in hands he's explosive, decent punt return too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

HigginsJ wrote: »
    A Browns fan, this is just the best thing ever to happen to this forum!! :D

Thought they had a really solid draft, Kizer was an excellent pick up in the 2nd as you say. Have you any thoughts on Osweiller & what ye will do with him.

I happened to like both the Njoku & Peppers pick, Williams is the type of D-Coordinator who could get good use out of Peppers.

If the ownership stays the course with Hue Jackson, even if this season doesn't see a huge jump in wins, then I think 2018 could be a year they take a big step. The drafting and FA moves along both lines has been very good. Bit surprised they didn't keep Pryor though.

Personally think the QB starters job is up for grabs. Whoever wants it! It's definitely plausible Kizer goes in as starter in week 1 especially now we have a line that allows are QB a good 2 seconds on the ball without getting driven into next week, makes a nice change 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think they did very well in the draft. I like that they took Kizer and didn't spend a first round pick on a QB. I'm of the opinion that there isn't much between any of the QB's in this draft class and getting Kizer where they did was value and they got a lot of help or other areas as a result of not taking a risk on one of them in the first round.

I've always had a soft spot for the Browns, always loved the Dawg Pound too. I really felt for their fans when they lost their franchise to Baltimore back in the 90's. It's been a long hard road for those fans but hopefully this draft is the start of a turnaround in their fortunes and it'd be great to see them back in the playoffs in a couple of years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Cleveland are cursed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

Browns' defense is starting to come together to be fair. Garrett, Shelton, Peppers, Collins, Haden are all good players. I think the Browns picked up a good CB in the 4th in Howard Wilson also. Reports look bad for Brantley though. Offensively there's alot to work on, but one thing in the Browns' favour is that they still have alot of draft capital for next season, which could work well as next years QB class looks to be one of the best in years.

Josh Gordons application for reinstatement has been denied by the NFL. Shame, he could have been great, potential HOF great. Such a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Am also a Browns fan as it started when my other team Aston Villa were taken over by Randy Lerner who was the Browns owner at the time.

Have followed the results a bit over the years but have only really started to follow them over the last year. As they say, the only way is up at the moment and hopefully over the next year or two, they could really build a quality roster.

Will follow the thread with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Josh Gordons application for reinstatement has been denied by the NFL. Shame, he could have been great, potential HOF great. Such a waste.

Thats a crazy call by the NFL, In a league where players have been allowed an opportunity to return after physically and sexually assaulting women, killing someone while drunk driving and being accused of murder and child abuse, the league's decision to deny Gordon is simply absurd

Cornerback Jason McGourty has been signed as a free agent on a 2-year deal for $6 million.

Spent 8 seasons with the Titans and will provide even more defensive cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

VillaMad wrote: »
    Cornerback Jason McGourty has been signed as a free agent on a 2-year deal for $6 million.

Spent 8 seasons with the Titans and will provide even more defensive cover.

Great deal by browns. He could move to safety too next year or the following year (if the resigne and need) to add experience to the position.

The front 7 can be quality but the secondary really needs work and this is a start.

The misdemeanor assault charge against the Browns draft pick Caleb Brantley have been dropped due to insufficient evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

This is entirely off topic but I'm currently really enjoying playing Madden 17 with the Browns. It's more of a challenge since a lot of the base "scores" for players aren't all that high but it's been interesting adapting from my usual trick of playing with the Packers (and QBing with Aaron Rogers) to playing with Cody Kessler under centre. The long bombs don't work as well as with Rogers but the slant routes and short gains work really well.

Just interesting to have the different skills and styles of play highlighhted going from playing with one of last years top teams to one of the lowest ranked ones.

I'm really developing a soft spot for the team now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Really looking forward to this season with the Browns. Think there will be definite progress and will see an exciting young roster come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Trekky77

Great thread!

Brock Osweiler FTW under center. Would be great to see him turn it around this season, however there is also a strong chance of him busting like the long list before him. Gotta be excited after a great draft.

Be good for Kizer to have a year behind Kessler/Osweiller without the pressure. AFC North champs 2018

Kizer looked decent tonight. Not going overboard as he was out there v 3rd nd 4th teams but he threw some very nice accurate throws, short and deep (both were strong and accurate). Good pocket mobility but did get caught once or twice holding ball to long at the same time showed some nice footwork to get out of sticky sitiations.

Defense looks like it could be quality too. Again its pre season, but i love the intensity all over the team.

Guffy wrote: »
    Kizer looked decent tonight. Not going overboard as he was out there v 3rd nd 4th teams but he threw some very nice accurate throws, short and deep (both were strong and accurate). Good pocket mobility but did get caught once or twice holding ball to long at the same time showed some nice footwork to get out of sticky sitiations.

Defense looks like it could be quality too. Again its pre season, but i love the intensity all over the team.

Yeah Kizer has that little bit of x-factor that Ozweiler and Kessler don't have, although he is quite raw.

Decent showing last night all things considered.

Defence looks really promising, whilst the opposite can be said for the offence. As expected really.

It's been mentioned in another thread but it's been a bit of a crazy day for the Browns which is the norm I guess.

Joe Haden has been cut, joining AFC North rivals the Steelers. His stats were down in the past couple of seasons and obviously Hue Jackson didn't see a future for him. It also appears that the Brown's won't have to pay Haden's $4m guarantee which gives them more cap room once again.

Cam Erving has been traded to the Chiefs for a fifth-round draft pick, which means that there is a crazy amount of draft picks next year again.

Hasn't been said on the thread but DeShone Kizer has been chosen as a starter for the new season.

• Advertisement

VillaMad wrote: »
    It's been mentioned in another thread but it's been a bit of a crazy day for the Browns which is the norm I guess.

Joe Haden has been cut, joining AFC North rivals the Steelers. His stats were down in the past couple of seasons and obviously Hue Jackson didn't see a future for him. It also appears that the Brown's won't have to pay Haden's $4m guarantee which gives them more cap room once again.

Cam Erving has been traded to the Chiefs for a fifth-round draft pick, which means that there is a crazy amount of draft picks next year again.

Hasn't been said on the thread but DeShone Kizer has been chosen as a starter for the new season.

The same should happen with Osweiler should he be cut and be picked up by a new team. Whatever new contract he signs will be taken from what the browns have to pay.

Of course it doesn't matter a feck to Brock then and he could technically sign for the vet min for any team that will take him I guess.

They did well to get a 5th round back for Erving, never really developed as mack's replacement.

I expect Harding will have a decent season in Pittsburg.

In two minds on the Kizer. I would have liked for him to sit another while but its hard to say he has outperformed the other lads and still bench him. Jackson has also hung his coat on Kizer saying if he was worth his salt as a coach he'd make Kizer an NFL QB.

Really have a lot of optimism going into the season. I know they're nowhere near even challenging for the division or a wild card but if we can see the whole team play with the intensity Williams' defence has played with this off season it will be a good year (in terms of I'll look forward to watching the games every week).

The same should happen with Osweiler should he be cut and be picked up by a new team. Whatever new contract he signs will be taken from what the browns have to pay.

Of course it doesn't matter a feck to Brock then and he could technically sign for the vet min for any team that will take him I guess.

They did well to get a 5th round back for Erving, never really developed as mack's replacement.

I expect Harding will have a decent season in Pittsburg.

In two minds on the Kizer. I would have liked for him to sit another while but its hard to say he has outperformed the other lads and still bench him. Jackson has also hung his coat on Kizer saying if he was worth his salt as a coach he'd make Kizer an NFL QB.

Really have a lot of optimism going into the season. I know they're nowhere near even challenging for the division or a wild card but if we can see the whole team play with the intensity Williams' defence has played with this off season it will be a good year (in terms of I'll look forward to watching the games every week).
    If Jackson could he would have had him on the bench for the year to ease him in but Ozweiler and Kessler haven't been up to the mark whatsoever, so he doesn't really have much choice.

I think getting a 5-11 or 6-10 season is possibly the realistic goal to aim for, but yes there is a good bit more of optimism going around and that's probably means we are going to be disappointed again, knowing the Browns.

Browns get coates and 2019 7th

steelers get 2018 6th (their own pick from previous trade)

Interesting trade. Obviously needed help at wr and coates v haden in diff uniforms is funny to see. Don't know much about coates if im bein honest, i know steeler fans had high hopes for him last year but that didn't materialise. Big believer in the 3rd year wr tbh maybe push it back to 4th year given hes on a new team.

Myles Garrett will be out for several weeks with an ankle issue and Calvin Pryor has been released after a training ground scuffle.

Suddenly, all pre-season optimism has returned to the usual.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Browns get coates and 2019 7th

steelers get 2018 6th (their own pick from previous trade)

Interesting trade. Obviously needed help at wr and coates v haden in diff uniforms is funny to see. Don't know much about coates if im bein honest, i know steeler fans had high hopes for him last year but that didn't materialise. Big believer in the 3rd year wr tbh maybe push it back to 4th year given hes on a new team.

Think he broke a finger in the third game or so - he was supposed to be the new deep threat with Bryant out of the team.

But he then dropped a few and it was pretty obvious that Roethlisberger didn't trust him anymore. Barely went to him after a couple of weeks despite limited WR options towards the end of the season.

So a defeat on opening day which wasn't a huge surprise but still some positives to take from the game.

Firstly, it was great that the game was live on Sky as it's not very often. The Browns aren't a winning franchise and so aren't generally an option for a live game so it was nice to see and I really enjoyed it.

As for the game, well Kizer made mistakes but he still came on strong in the 4th quarter and didn't hide away. He did ok and could certainly have done a whole lot worse. I don't think Crowell had a particularly good game at running back and with Hue Jackson stating that the Browns will be primarily be playing a running game, that is something that will need to improve.

Defensively, I thought the Browns were much improved and after the head banger of a start which was nothing to do with the defence, I felt that to concede just 14 points against Big Ben and Antonio Brown was a pretty good return.

Certainly after being 1-15 last season and with Myles Garrett to return in the next couple of weeks or so, the team certainly look much more competitive than last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Very close game. Bryant did very little and Bell had nowhere to go in terms of a run game. AB and James were pretty much the whole offense. Browns defense were very good, one big 40 yard PI call going for the second TD made a big difference.

I'd be very interested to see how that offense does against Baltimore. Their offense doesn't look great and could be kept out, but their defense is excellent. Should be a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Actually stopped posting as much because there was no interest in my Browns. Delighted to see this.

Wrote this 2.5 years ago about Farmer's first draft. Must do one on Sashi's.
    The last draft was Farmer's first.
    Farmer engineered the trade with Buffalo to get this years one from the and move back 5.
    Gilbert was 100% Pettine's pick and has admitted as much. We found this out first as soon as he got drafted on the phone call.
    I'm still convinced JFF was Haslam's pick and most are. They'll obv deny it forever but that has been the consensus from day 1 with everyone looking in and it will never change for me.

The worst first round by an organisation ever. Some show me a worse one.

After the first, Farmer drafted
    Bitonio - Stellar first season and possible future All Pro. Draft gets redone tomorrow and he goes in the first, no question.

Apart from the "No question" i'd say it's not a bad shout. Already been paid a huge extension

Kirksey - ILB that has started and played well. Room to improve and a solid 3rd rounder.

Another that has been resigned to a decent contract and one of if not the leader on the defence now. Great player. Top 3 in tackles in the league last year. Great motor.

West - Very talented back. Looked very good in flashes last year and has already lost a lot of weight in the offseason. Can't question his work ethic but my jaysis the guy is unlikeable. An actual moron. All these views are my own and stem from social media. Anyway. decent back!.

Plugging away for his Ravens now. Still talented. Still a wanker of epic proportions.

Desir - Project pick that got a couple of starts (and looked good) late in the year. Opposite of West off the field and i'm really rooting for the guy this year.

Didn't make it. Did i see him bouncing around the Seahawks roster this year?

Undrafted
    Crowell - Took a gamble on him after being fcuked out of Georgia for weapon charges. Looks a great back with great burst. Could be a feature back soon.

Starter now. Resigned last year as a restricted FA. Unrestricted this year and he will walk if he has a good year imo.

K Williams - Looked great in the slot and instantly looked better than Gilbert overall. Was a big reason the Browns secondary was one of the best in the league. Got shaken up a couple of times with concussion late on. Hope he is fine going forward.

This was strange one. Went from Undrafted to starter and good starter at that before he started failing physicals. He was constantly fighting with coaches over his condition until he was released. Now a starter for the 49ers at nickel.

T Gabriel - Performed better than 50% or drafted WRs in the best class in history. Small guy and not sure how much of a role he plays going forward but played his nuts off and has made some money for himself going forward i hope.

Didn't perform aswell in year 2 but got cut and is one of their biggest mistakes (and there have been many) since I've been following in 2009. Was brilliant for the Falcons in their superbowl run.

Bar round 1 (I know I know) Farmer had an excellent draft imo.

If you want to rip on the gm. Do so for paying Ben Tate. Although i like that we moved on quickly.
    And even worse. Billy fcking Cundiff. Watching this guy week on week was the most baffling of the lot. Missed 5 games in a row or something. They wait until the season is over to can him.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Actually Desir if on the Colts' 53.

• Advertisement

Kevin Hogan is on the field in the 2nd quarter??? Migraine for kaizer taking him out..... :/

Advertisement