Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uk citizen passport question

• 03-05-2017 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am not sure if this is the right forum but the search bar brought me here.

I know i am entitled to an irish passport as my grandparents are irish but my mother was born in the UK. She has been a resident here since she was 13 and has an Irish passport herself.
    Problem is, she moved to the UK when she was pregnant and I was born in the Uk and moved here as a baby.
    She didnt put my irish fathers name on my birth cert as he wasnt around. My previous passport was english.
    So i am wondering if my mother having an irish passport makes me automatically entitled to an irish passport so can just apply with hers and her birth cert or,
    Do I need to go the foreign births route and use my grandparents details?
    Its a lot of extra effort and money that I would rather avoid.
    Any insight welcome
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/

Born outside Ireland?
    You are automatically an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland.

You can become an Irish citizen if one of your grandparents was born in Ireland, or you can become an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, but was not born in Ireland. If you’re eligible, you can register your birth on the Foreign Births Register.

the part in bold looks like it applies to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭javagal

So still foreign births ..

Thanks!

Advertisement