Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam train visiting Limerick

• 03-05-2017 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭

There is a steam train due to pass through Limerick this weekend (Sat 6th / Sun 7th). There will be no opportunity to travel on it but it still may be of interest to some. Due to arrive 16:23 on Saturday and depart 09:10 on Sunday. It will be stored in an area not accessible to the public so it will only be visible around arrival/ departure times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Any idea which track it's arriving into or departing on?

I'll probably be at the Munster game on Saturday but but love to see one at full tilt on the run or out of Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

On Saturday its coming in from Ennis, and on Sunday its departing via Limerick Junction

Ennis 15:44
    Sixmilebridge 16:00
    Limerick 16:23

Limerick 09:10
    Dromkeen 09:28
    Tipperary 09:50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

why is there no opportunity to view it i wonder?

dunworth1 wrote: »

Its not really visiting Limerick as an attraction for Limerick people, it just happens to be visiting Limerick as it pulls a tour around the country. When it arrives into Limerick the engine will be taken to the maintenance area, serviced, cleaned and the remaining fire removed after this it won't be able to be moved again until it is prepared for departure the following morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

dunworth1 wrote: »

There's loads of opportunities to view it! Just go to some vantage point near the track. I was thinking the bridge over the tracks in Meelick (on the road up to Woodcock Hill) could be a good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Running 15 min behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just saw a picture on Twitter of it pulling into the station. My nephew would love to see it! Will there be an opportunity tomorrow to see it leaving from the station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

panda100 wrote: »
    Just saw a picture on Twitter of it pulling into the station. My nephew would love to see it! Will there be an opportunity tomorrow to see it leaving from the station?

As above 0910 in morning sunday

09:10 is the departure time so I would recommend being there 15-20 minutes beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I missed the train :mad:

I saw this on Twitter

I'd love to have booked onto the train for the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

Got these out in Pallasgreen 33695571573_17da9ca565_c.jpgDSC_7630_00016 by washburn2157, on Flickr 34464475736_f8689a42e3_c.jpgDSC_7632_00014 by washburn2157, on Flickr 34464471196_596a0f27f5_c.jpgDSC_7640_00012 by washburn2157, on Flickr

Go to the washburn link to see more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Went to see the train off this morning with my nephew. It was a wonderful sight to see. The conductors said 'all aboard', the train 'cho cho'ed and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Ah so raging I forgot about this, live 2 minutes from a bridge vantage point. Totally forgot it was this morning. Looks amazing!

Advertisement