Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grommets

Options
  • 03-05-2017 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

My little guy is having these inserted in the Beacon in a few days. He has a speech delay and it turns out has moderate hearing loss due to transient glue ear. Has anyone had experience of their little ones having them? Did the grommets help with speech? And is there anything we should know pre/post op? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

My son had them fitted around 25 years ago, for the same reasons.
    He recovered very quickly from the anaesthetic, and we noticed an immediate difference in his hearing. He was a little sensitive to loud noises for the first couple of days, and would jump at sudden sounds. He'd also make noises to himself...and laugh. Very cute to watch.
    He didn't seem to have any pain or discomfort following the surgery.
    Speech improved dramatically, as he could hear the start and end of words which I think he was missing before.
    Grommets fell out by themselves at some point after his 6month post-op check, and his speech was up to a normal standard by then.
    I'd say the up-to-date procedure is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Are you under john russell? Procedure was quick and easy. Our son was 2.5 when he got them in. He was groggy and tired after anaesthetic but fine otherwise. He didn't have hearing loss so although the ear infectjons completely stopped, it had no effect on his speech. First grommet fell out after 3 months, second is still there. He's since had a full hearing test under anaesthetic again and mr russell was satisfied it was a1 and has since discharged him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thank you both! He's under Mr. Hone.

Is swimming allowed whilst they're in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

My brother had them done when he was 3. He had fluid build up in his ears which blocked a lot of his hearing and it impacted his ability to understand others and his own speech. He had the tonsils out at the same time because he was on antibiotics every few weeks. He recovered quickly although, unfortunately, the bed was soaked in blood after because of the tonsils but that is nothing to be worried about in your case. He had to get a few sessions to help with speech afterwards but he was completely normal after nothing of a time!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Merkin wrote: »

Opinions vary I think. Mr Russell said it was absolutely fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭crunchie1

Hi,my daughter had them,adenoids and tonsils done last it 2.5! Same reason and within a couple of weeks you could see a difference ,still playing a tiny bit of catch up but all worth it and no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Merkin wrote: »

Our little girl had them done last September under Dr hone in royal Victoria eye and ear hospital for very same reason.

Between going down and coming back up was approx 30 minutes.
    Groggy afterwards alright but came right once nurses allowed her have some food.. toast..
    Hearing started improving quickly and is continuing to improve, can take up to 9 months to see full effects of grommets.
    Dr Hone advised no swimming afterwards and avoid getting water in the ears. They will give you advise leaflet after the op anyway with guidance.

Advertisement