Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

What's that BBQ Smoke restaurant like then? Was going to head to it on Saturday, since I'm staying in Athlone that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What's that BBQ Smoke restaurant like then? Was going to head to it on Saturday, since I'm staying in Athlone that night.

Ate there last night, lovely.
    Don't go in expecting steak and chips and pint of Heineken.

They serve 2 brewdog beers and have a low abv beer in bottles if your driving.
    They also serve a black donkey beer which is lovely

We had the 40 euro platter for 2 which was amazing.
    Both of us were stuffed.

I'll def be back.

BTW Saturday may be a nightmare... Triathlone.

Ate there last night, lovely.
    Don't go in expecting steak and chips and pint of Heineken

BTW Saturday may be a nightmare... Triathlone.

I'm expecting f*cking BBQ, few choice meats, that platter you mentioned sounds perfect. Can't stand Heineken, so that's a plus.

Thanks for the warning, will book.

So the Thai place, Kin Khao was excellent, great selection of dishes, not the usual Thai stuff you get, service was a little slow, but the food was top notch. I had to laugh at the local cider from Tipperary, marked on the menu as '100km away, but it was tasty cider, to be fair. Smoke was also good, got the platter. Much the same as the bbq places that have popped up around Dublin in the last 5 years or so, well cooked meats without being spectacular (I'm sure a southern bbq person from the US would not be impressed, but you get what you pay for). Two good quality meals for decent value, I have to say.

The Hodson Bay Hotel on the other hand, was less impressive. Room had no AC, which in this heat was a nightmare. Couldn't open the windows due to it being close to the lake or your room would be swarmed with midges, etc. Staff at the bar were exceedingly slow, bar one or two. Bar itself was packed full of ignorant assholes who would cheerfully just push ahead of you at the bar and demand service, elderly middle class culchies who can't pronounce 'stick' without a 'ch'. There were two weddings on the first night and what looked like a Bridge convention. I was just there to have a quiet weekend away with the missus, we obviously picked the wrong hotel and the wrong weekend.

A succession of little things, like the bar staff, the hash browns on the menu turning out to be fried potatoes, breakfast being delivered 30 minutes early, the heat, some gaggle of aul ones plonking themselves down next to us (well away from the bar as we had moved to try and find some peace and quiet) and starting into a harmonica and sing-song, despite not knowing the words and a whole host of other little things ... the first evening was ****e. Second day was better, the spa was very pleasant, went for a swim, only one wedding on that day, and no aul one bridge club. Food was average in the hotel itself.

Won't be going back to the Hodson Bay, but I'd happily spend a weekend in Athlone itself, seemed good craic with a good variety of pubs and restaurants. Thanks to demanufactured for the recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

elderly middle class culchies who can't pronounce 'stick' without a 'ch'.

When you go to Rome, expect to meet a few Romans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

Hi, can anyone recommend an appliance repair contact in Athlone area ? Its been some few days .... dishwasher and freezer part of fridge-freezer broken to go along with tumble dryer which has been sitting idle for a couple of months :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Has poppadom in Athlone closed? Not accepting orders on just eat or answering their phone. I will be devastated if it is closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

blast06 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone recommend an appliance repair contact in Athlone area ? Its been some few days .... dishwasher and freezer part of fridge-freezer broken to go along with tumble dryer which has been sitting idle for a couple of months :(

used this guy before after another person recommended him to me (i've no connection other than being a past customer)

https://www.facebook.com/George-Domesticare-Appliances-395195803930127/?ref=br_rs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Where is the "Shannon Business Park"? Closest i can find is the retail park with Smyths etc. Hardly space for 200 there.

They hardly mean the bit where DPD is?

Where is the "Shannon Business Park"? Closest i can find is the retail park with Smyths etc. Hardly space for 200 there.

https://fora.ie/neueda-technologies-athlone-jobs-4117121-Jul2018/

This article has it as being the Shannon Retail Park. No idea where you'd put 200 people working in there tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

They are setting up over Petworld. THink they are there already

Meow! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Kilmacoo?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I heard that a while back as well.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I heard that a while back as well.

Another company with 1 customer advertising as something else

I don't get what you mean?

I had heard the company were setting up there from someone in the trade but was told not to say anything until it was made public.

I don't get what you mean?

Sidero being the first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

????
    They have offices in New York, Belfast, London, Malaga and Lativa according to their website and listed 3 clients wrt Athlone operation ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

I wish I could work for these guys. I'm not a software person :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Has poppadom in Athlone closed? Not accepting orders on just eat or answering their phone. I will be devastated if it is closed.

So it appears another great athlone business has closed its doors. Apparently shut down due to a visit from employment permit inspectors. A real shame. It was The best kebab in Athlone.

blast06 wrote: »
    ????
    They have offices in New York, Belfast, London, Malaga and Lativa according to their website and listed 3 clients wrt Athlone operation ??

As far as i can see, they have located to Athlone to be near their biggest (possibly only) client in the area. As Sidero did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So it appears another great athlone business has closed its doors. Apparently shut down due to a visit from employment permit inspectors. A real shame. It was The best kebab in Athlone.

People working there didn't have th eproper paperwork? It's always a shame to see a business closing down but the authorities can't really turn a blind eye to that sort of thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It wouldn't surprise me that Revenue paid them a visit. Revenue were out in force last year as well when I worked for a previous employer, an accountancy firm in Roscommon.

Last night I tried Pangan in Monksland that replaced the Hungry Monk. It is styled as an Asian street food spot, not so much your traditional Chinese take away. Have to say it really was very nice, good portions, even the chips were lovely, which they rarely were in Hungry Monk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Fantastic news for the Town. Great to see that old building getting renovated as well.

Fantastic news for the Town. Great to see that old building getting renovated as well.

It's about time, because that building has been sitting idle now for the guts of 10 years.

I don't drink, but anyone fancy planning a beers event? Haven't seen one of these things organised on boards for months if not years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

You mean........step away from my trusty keyboard/shield and talk to real people.....in REAL LIFE?

God no.

You're weird........... :p:D:D:D

Advertisement