Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Never heard anyone have any issues in the area yet. The estate isn't all that old. 10 years old at most and I imagine you'd have a lot of working professionals who'd be working for Ericsson and Tyco living in the area. So I'd imagine it would be a decent crowd.

Was "affectionately" known as Ranosville for a while due to a project in Ericsson where a load of people were moved down from the Dublin offices, given a nice relocation package which went on deposits for houses that were being built at the time.

Quite a big estate but seems nice any time I've driven through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

cena wrote: »
    Is that the one beside the college

Out near Moydrum, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Nforce wrote: »
    Out near Moydrum, I think

Years ago the old radios would have Athlone on the dials, London, Paris, Berlin Athlone etc. I always thought it was cool seeing it in my grans house on her old "wireless".
    In warsaw, I spoted a one in a museum used as an example of how people communicated during the uprising, Athlone was listedon the dial also which was interesting I thought thinking of how people so far away would have probably looked at the names wondering what these places were like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me any info on the woodville grange development/estate out near Blyry?

Does it have a good rep? Seems to be a good few houses for sale out there

Houses are pretty cold from when ive ever visited one. Big though, i think most if not all are 4 beds.

The others are right about location. Bit far from town and shops even allowing for the 15 min walk to supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Nforce wrote: »

The Article leaves out the fact that Alan Shaw is a Life Long Fine Gaeler from Enda Kenny's Home Town ,He was a local Fine Gael Councillor in Athlone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

TimHorton wrote: »
    The Article leaves out the fact that Alan Shaw is a Life Long Fine Gaeler from Enda Kenny's Home Town ,He was a local Fine Gael Councillor in Athlone also.

What has that got to do with anything? If he's making something nice for the town, who cares about his political views.

The Project is getting Government Funding, It mentions he is an accountant who was an RBK Director , Yet fails to mention his FG Connections - Enda Kenny was guest of honour at his wedding.

https://photographers.ie/?p=19855

Recently, I covered the wedding of the current Mayor of Athlone Alan Shaw and Claire McKenna. The wedding ceremony took place in the beautiful Edgeworthtown Church, in Co. Longford. The reception and wedding photos took place in the grounds of the beautiful Glasson Country Hotel and Golf Club in Glasson, Co. Westmeath. The esteemed guest of honour was the current Taoiseach Enda Kenny who posed for photos with the guests and the bride. It was a fantastic wedding and the band kicked off the celebrations that went on well in to the night. I have included below a small sample of the photos I took during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Yet fails to mention his FG Connections - Enda Kenny was guest of honour at his wedding.

This may be news to you, but FG is not actually an illegal organization.

• Advertisement

This may be news to you, but FG is not actually an illegal organization.

Why Mention he was an accountant in RBK yet fail to mention he was a FG Councillor - That is my point. The project is Heavily reliant on Government Funding (FG are in Government) so his FG connections are very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Why Mention he was an accountant in RBK yet fail to mention he was a FG Councillor - That is my point. The project is Heavily reliant on Government Funding (FG are in Government) so his FG connections are very relevant.

What exactly is your problem with this going ahead?? If it's good for the town, then who cares. That's how politics work.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Eamon deValera, who opened the Athlone broadcasting station, had connections to the Fianna Fáil party.

It is odd to leave out that he's a local Councillor but I wouldn't hold that against the project.

Mearings wrote: »
    Eamon deValera, who opened the Athlone broadcasting station, had connections to the Fianna Fáil party.

What a silly comparison , He was the Taoiseach at the time ,

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Ive heard enough. Cancel the whole project.

Jesus wept...

It should be turned into social housing to ease the crisis Joe.

In other news anyone know a DJ Flanagan in Moydrum?
    http://www.midlands103.com/news-centre/search-uncontactable-athlone-winning-streak-player/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

flazio wrote: »
    It should be turned into social housing to ease the crisis Joe.

In other news anyone know a DJ Flanagan in Moydrum?
    http://www.midlands103.com/news-centre/search-uncontactable-athlone-winning-streak-player/

Bit far outside of town for social housing.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Bit far outside of town for social housing.

I wasn't being serious, hence the "Joe" at the end implying a busy body calling into Joe Duffy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

What a silly comparison , He was the Taoiseach at the time ,

He was not Taoiseach at the time.

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »
    He was not Taoiseach at the time.

He was a Minister then , The fact is he was a member of the government and my original point still stands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

He was a Minister then ,.

What was he minister for?

Just for info. so we can move away from title semantics

Seventh Dáil (9 March 1932 - 2 January 1933)

6th Executive Council
    Name:Eamon de Valera
    Post held: President
    External Affairs
    (from: 9.3.32 to 8.2.33)
    https://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Historical_Information/History_of_Government/

RTE article referring to the opening and title of Taoiseach
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/681-history-of-rte/683-rte-1930s/290028-rte-radios-athlone-station-and-transmitter-officially-opened-6-february-1933/

It appears it was officially opened between councils being elected but I'd assume he still held the post of President of the council on an interim basis.

I still think it's good news for the town, we need more things for visitors to see around Athlone and keep them spending money here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Anyone know what happened to the Daybreak at the Crescent junction?

The ticketmaster place?

The ticketmaster place?

Yeah. It's shut, sign gone and shop empty. I'll ask on one of the chemists later but thought I'd look here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I think it might be moving to a new location. Saw a Facebook post about it. Should be back open soon. Well the Ticketmaster element.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Was always a gowl of a place to put a shop. With the 1 way, the Crescent junction is the only game in town for access to the town centre, meaning its even more of a PITA when somebody pulls into the junction. Perhaps they lost customers from the deathly stares they get when they clog up the junction.
    The pharmacies on the other hand, are appropriate. One would pull in on the footpath to get their remedies rather than going for a longer walk, ironically indirectly the cause of them needing said remedies in the first place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Rasmus wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the Daybreak at the Crescent junction?
    The ticketmaster place?

I'm sure the Ticketmaster premises will open elsewhere. Daybreak however, it was in the worst possible location. No where to park and how many arriving to or coming from the train even knew it was there.

• Advertisement

Ok! So the Daybreak is dead. What's going in there?!

Advertisement