Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Rasmus wrote: »
    Ok! So the Daybreak is dead. What's going in there?!

Is there signs of something else going in there already?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just a sign outside saying Ticketmaster is moving out on September 3rd, check Facebook in the morning for the new location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Anyone know why O'Neill's is still a vacant site. It's just opposite Dunnes in Irishtown

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

holyhead wrote: »
    Anyone know why O'Neill's is still a vacant site. It's just opposite Dunnes in Irishtown

The building was from 1900, so you can't just take the site and build any old thing. You have to rebuild the redbrick 1900 pub - impossibly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

holyhead wrote: »

Irishtown is your answer. Slowest area of town to recover. Showing some hope finally with Harvey Norman and Junction bar but a long way from its past self.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

That site should be cleared and the road widened with compensation paid to the site owners. It is a ridiculous eyesore as it is and it can't be brought back to what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Tapas place in Pearse Street closes its doors.
    Guess it was a bit ahead of its time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Irishtown is your answer. Slowest area of town to recover. Showing some hope finally with Harvey Norman and Junction bar but a long way from its past self.

Harvey Norman is going in where? Is there a Sports Direct and Iceland going into the old Texas Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sad to see the Top Deck Bistro closing. Many's a good meal I've had in there and milestones celebrated down through the years. The type of place that catered for everyone's tastes, was always busy and made you feel like an important customer.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Sad to see the Top Deck Bistro closing. Many's a good meal I've had in there and milestones celebrated down through the years. The type of place that catered for everyone's tastes, was always busy and made you feel like an important customer.

When is it closing?
    We've often eaten there, sad the hear that it's closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

When is it closing?
    We've often eaten there, sad the hear that it's closing.
    According to their facebook page they closed at the start of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    According to their facebook page they closed at the start of this month.

They are reopening December first. Under new management

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Ticketmaster relocating to SuperValu on the Ballymahon road

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Ticketmaster relocating to SuperValu on the Ballymahon road

should be in easons

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

cena wrote: »
    should be in easons

Easons would be the best place for it. Higher footfall and all that craic.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Easons would be the best place for it. Higher footfall and all that craic.

Easons back in Golden island days, maybe. The current Easons is a bit crap, seldom go in there.

Not sure which shop would be better then. Maybe the music shop in the New Shopping Centre?

The newsagents in Golden Island probably. I think it's beside the toilets, driving licence gap so you could put a snake queue in there for large concert sleep outs.

flazio wrote: »
    The newsagents in Golden Island probably. I think it's beside the toilets, driving licence gap so you could put a snake queue in there for large concert sleep outs.
    I would imagine that's precisely why it isn't going to Golden Island, the staff/store owners don't want all nighters to watch the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

flazio wrote: »
    I would imagine that's precisely why it isn't going to Golden Island, the staff/store owners don't want all nighters to watch the crowd.
    As they used to in Music World. That said, I think Tesco was 24 hour at the time so wasn't as big an additional overhead with the usual minimum security needed

• Advertisement

Probably the same reason for not going into Town Centre either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

apple green would be the ideal spot for it so

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sam ford

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Politicians will go to the opening of an envelope if its going to get some media coverage, always have, always will.

Don’t know what all the fuss is about.

this is overdone, photo op anywhere anytime, and not sorting problems for people won't always work forever, the word gob s**t comes to mind,

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

sam ford wrote: »
    this is overdone, photo op anywhere anytime, and not sorting problems for people won't always work forever, the word gob s**t comes to mind,

I wonder who will unveil the inevitable plaque commemorating the opening of the one way Church Street, Athlone?

Mearings wrote: »
    I wonder who will unveil the inevitable plaque commemorating the opening of the one way Church Street, Athlone?

Boxer, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Boxer, of course.

I think I'd prefer McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Heading to Athlone for a couple of nights next week to meet with some family.

Looking to stay in a fairly central hotel so have it narrowed down to The Sheridan or The Radisson. Are they much of a muchness or anyone recommend one above the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

adox wrote: »

Looking to stay in a fairly central hotel so have it narrowed down to The Sheridan or The Radisson. Are they much of a muchness or anyone recommend one above the other?

Both are decent.
    I'd choose the Radisson .

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Shamrock Lodge is probably friendliest out of all central hotels in the town. Sheraton would be nicer than the radisson. Prince is in decent central position too.Lodge or sheraton your best bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Shearaton very central and right beside shopping centers and fatted calf restaurant

Advertisement