Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Looks like that's the plan, pubs, cafes etc are now going to have to pay for the privilege of putting tables outside.

Good. The streets are being widened to let people walk on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Good. The streets are being widened to let people walk on them

Only a matter of time before it's pedestrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Just close town.
    Looks like that's the plan, pubs, cafes etc are now going to have to pay for the privilege of putting tables outside.

The amounts are minimal. And whether they like it that's the way society works. If they wish to profit from community space that we taxpayers pay for , they should have to contribute.

If a pub/cafe can't afford to pay €125 a year to put a table out side they shouldn't be in business.

Too many free loaders expect our limited tax take to pay for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Only a matter of time before it's pedestrianised.

Would that be the worst thing in the world? It'd probably be safer than the free for all that's there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The amounts are minimal. And whether they like it that's the way society works. If they wish to profit from community space that we taxpayers pay for , they should have to contribute.

If a pub/cafe can't afford to pay €125 a year to put a table out side they shouldn't be in business.

Too many free loaders expect our limited tax take to pay for everything.

to make that €125 back, they'd have to increase turnover by around €1000 a year. Not easily done in a small cafe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

scarepanda wrote: »
    Would that be the worst thing in the world? It'd probably be safer than the free for all that's there at the moment.

There would still be a need for vehicles to access the street for the pubs/hotel , so could probabaly never happen.

There would still be a need for vehicles to access the street for the pubs/hotel , so could probably never happen.
    A lot of "pedestrianised" streets have access for service vehicles, but the area would be very difficult to access if fully pedestrianised for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Surely something along the lines of shop street in Galway? Open for delivery at certain times of the day (early morning/late evening)?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

First they need the road at the station field built, then they'll pedestrianise Church St.
    The usual suspects will complain, and then be forgotten when it is a success like Grafton St. or Shop St.

And yes, businesses around Grafton st. objected to pedestrianization in the 70s, just as the shops in Church St. think people need to park on the road outside the shop door today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    to make that €125 back, they'd have to increase turnover by around €1000 a year. Not easily done in a small cafe
    If you are giving someone the opportunity to sit outside and have their lunch in the sun or to have a cigarette with their coffee. For those reasons someone may chose your cafver one down the street that doesn't have seating outside. Also you are increasing the number of covers you have (I think that's the correct term), so you are able to squeeze a couple of extra bums on seats at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I don't disagree with you. But that's a call each business needs to make. If they can't generate the extra income don't pay for the table.

Likewise with the advertising hoardings. If a business doesn't want to pay premium rents on the main Street, they can't block up the street with advertising for free on it.
    As an example, Surely beans and leaves rent is far less than a cafe on church Street. Isn't it only fair then that they pay to advertise on church Street taking away business from on street providers. Just an example, btw I really like beans and leaves.

Surely the businesses on church Street would agree with that.

This is all the nature of business and the council don't have an endless pot of money in which to do things. Also people need to pay some amount towards upkeep of society or else they will expect everything to be done for them for free.

And if the business us struggling to make money maybe the landlords need to lower the rents/lease costs instead of expecting the state to subsidise the businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Would be nice to see any additional money brought in by the council being put in to better street decorations esp xmas lights. Athlone is in a great location but does a terrible job at attracting tourists or recreational short stay visitors. Hopefully this works out for the betterment of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    If you are giving someone the opportunity to sit outside and have their lunch in the sun or to have a cigarette with their coffee. For those reasons someone may chose your cafver one down the street that doesn't have seating outside. Also you are increasing the number of covers you have (I think that's the correct term), so you are able to squeeze a couple of extra bums on seats at peak times.

only for about 3 months of the year, on a good day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

€1000 a year is less than €20 a week. If an outside table can't cause an increase in turnover by the sale of two cups of coffee a day extra, there is something seriously wrong with the business model.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    €1000 a year is less than €20 a week. If an outside table can't cause an increase in turnover by the sale of two cups of coffee a day extra, there is something seriously wrong with the business model.
    or the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Is there a branch of Superdrug anywhere in Athlone?
    Computer says no, but I'm certain I saw one and I need to get to it again now.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Bredabe wrote: »
    Is there a branch of Superdrug anywhere in Athlone?
    Computer says no, but I'm certain I saw one and I need to get to it again now.
    Nope, nearest one is Liffey Valley in Dublin but you can buy from the online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

does anyone know if there are any plans in pipeline for any new housing developments in Athlone?

Like every part of country theres shortage of new housing. No value to be had in houses on market at moment either in Athlone area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Blanco100 wrote: »
    does anyone know if there are any plans in pipeline for any new housing developments in Athlone?

Like every part of country theres shortage of new housing. No value to be had in houses on market at moment either in Athlone area

There was talk of a few bits and pieces, a quick google throws up the following;

March '17 - https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/roscommon/77-houses-planned-monksland/

May '18 - https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/roscommon/council-approves-plans-27-houses-monksland/

Autumn '18 - http://www.midlands103.com/news-centre/new-housing-development-in-pipeline-for-athlone/

November '18 - https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/west-meath/planning-approved-32-new-homes-athlone/

I've been living abroad since October, so I'm not sure how/if any of these are progressing.

I know that if there was a new development of quality houses built around the Bealnamullia/Monksland area, there'd be a lot of interest, myself included.

Like every part of country there is a shortage of new housing. No value to be had in houses on market at moment either in Athlone area

It is not economic to build new houses in Athlone as the cost of building would be greater than the market value of existing houses. If you are not prepared to buy an existing house, you would certainly not buy a new one.

• Advertisement

It is not economic to build new houses in Athlone as the cost of building would be greater than the market value of existing houses. If you are not prepared to buy an existing house, you would certainly not buy a new one.

I know costs to a developer fluctuate based on building density but how much does it cost per unit to build a regular 3 bed semi on a standard sized plot of land?

I know costs to a developer fluctuate based on building density but how much does it cost per unit to build a regular 3 bed semi on a standard sized plot of land?

Nobody would build a single pair of semis on a spec basis. The issues in relation to build cost are the cost of acquiring the land, the cost of holding the land until it is shovel ready, the cost of finance for the duration of the build and the professional fees for sign offs as the build progresses. The cost of materials and labour is a significant but not decisive element. The cost to look at is the cost of providing the house, not building it.

The cost to look at is the cost of providing the house, not building it.

What I meant was the cost of providing the house.

Standard size, standard spec, on land sold at the going rate.

does anybody know anything about the ard cuinne development in monksland?

does anybody know anything about the ard cuinne development in monksland?

Not sure what you're asking specifically, but they seem to be 'Price On Application'.

Edit: 3 of them have sold so far, for between 205 and 226k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Not sure what you're asking specifically, but they seem to be 'Price On Application'.

Edit: 3 of them have sold so far, for between 205 and 226k.

That's very reasonable for 4 beds.

Addle wrote: »
    That's very reasonable for 4 beds.

Location, location, location!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

Are there are any co-working spaces or nice cafes that anyone could recommend for remote working in Athlone?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Colham wrote: »
    Are there are any co-working spaces or nice cafes that anyone could recommend for remote working in Athlone?

None that I'm aware of. Denis Naughtan was working on an Enterprise Hub in the Monksland area, but since he stepped down as Minister, I'm not sure if it's going ahead now.

• Advertisement

I spoke too soon, 560 new houses announced for Athlone

Advertisement