Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

Blanco100 wrote: »
    I spoke too soon, 560 new houses announced for Athlone
    Don't forget that a lot of land as NAMA'd and (probably) changed hands at rock bottom prices after the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Don't forget that a lot of land as NAMA'd and (probably) changed hands at rock bottom prices after the crash.

???

The whole point of NAMA was not to let land change hands at rock bottom prices so that Important People didn't go broke.

???

The whole point of NAMA was not to let land change hands at rock bottom prices so that Important People didn't go broke.
    Not exactly, it allowed the value of the land to be preserved with taxpayers money but it also allowed the next generation of developers to get land cheap.
    In other words NAMA bought the land at high prices from the original developers and sold it off cheap to the next developers with taxpayers taking the hit on the loss of value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

where are these houses going?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    where are these houses going?

Lissywollen. Across the motorway from the ARSC and Brawney estate. Or maybe past the Brawney estate. There are a few remaing fields in that area, see Google maps:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4285661,-7.9111304,1257m/data=!3m1!1e3

Ah, the advertiser says:

As development works, which include the construction of a road to run from the rear of Athlone Regional Sports Centre to the Moydrum roundabout, will be vast, the Councillor reiterated that it is vital to obtain the views of local residents prior to the project commencing.

So South of the N6, past Brawney.

• Advertisement

more traffic onto that roundabout at the RSC so
    great!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

great!

They could walk/cycle on the Greenway via Blackberry Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

great!

I seriously doubt that traffic in the new estates will go out that way when the Moydrum/Garycastle roundabout will be much nearer. Remember that Brawney and Lissywollen is speed ramp central! Going west? Get onto the M6 at Ericsson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Lissywollen. Across the motorway from the ARSC and Brawney estate. Or maybe past the Brawney estate. There are a few remaing fields in that area, see Google maps:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4285661,-7.9111304,1257m/data=!3m1!1e3

Ah, the advertiser says:

As development works, which include the construction of a road to run from the rear of Athlone Regional Sports Centre to the Moydrum roundabout, will be vast, the Councillor reiterated that it is vital to obtain the views of local residents prior to the project commencing.

So South of the N6, past Brawney.

It's the current vacant scrub land between Brawney and the school (not the maintained land with the walk way throug it) + the fields between Brawney and the ESB, road will continue through Brawney parallel to bypass to the join the existing road beside spar/ESB.

Was in Dead Centre (former site of west/river s/olive garden/the ritz) yesterday for a Pizza. Fantastic spot and the pizza is very very good.
    Will definitely be a regular there once t-shirt weather kicks in as they have that nice terrace along the river.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Was in Dead Centre (former site of west/river s/olive garden/the ritz) yesterday for a Pizza. Fantastic spot and the pizza is very very good.
    Will definitely be a regular there once t-shirt weather kicks in as they have that nice terrace along the river.

And will have the best beer selection in town.

And will have the best beer selection in town.

8 taps of craft beer, 4 of their own and 4 guest taps and a good selection of cans and bottles. Really brilliant addition to the town.

Anyone have any news with the Palace? Seems to be lads in there working gung-ho for the last week or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Anyone have any news with the Palace? Seems to be lads in there working gung-ho for the last week or so?
    Was only chatting about this place a few weeks ago - walked past it one night and it didn't seem to have been touched and we started reminiscing about the good nights we had in there. It would be good to see it back open again under some guise - it's not nice seeing such a prominent building lying idle in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

financial services professional here. With all this new housing coming to Athlone, I wonder is there any chance of a major financial institution setting up down here?

BNY Mellon are in Wexford, State Street in Kilkenny for instance, would love to see someone move to town so theres not a lifetime commute to Dublin

RBK have offices here, that's about the height of it for now I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

What's going on with the redevelopment of the cinema? I often thought that the existing cinema was too small for a town the size of athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

restive wrote: »
    What's going on with the redevelopment of the cinema? I often thought that the existing cinema was too small for a town the size of athlone.

There was a piece in last week's Westmeath Independent saying plans were submitted but the council is looking for further information from the developer.

There was a piece in last week's Westmeath Independent saying plans were submitted but the council is looking for further information from the developer.

I was talking to a employee of the cinema and they were saying that tesco and burger King were objecting. IMC plans to build out into the carpark with 4 screens and a coffee shop. Personally I think the should build up and add an extra story.

Tesco objection would be unusual seeing as they are the landlords.

Tesco objection would be unusual seeing as they are the landlords.

Yes, probably right. Although I don't think they'd like the loss of carpark spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wonder if there's enough room at the Texas centre? Complete overhaul required but it'd be a good spot and has been a cinema before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong thread here.

I'll be visiting Athlone on Friday or Saturday.

Could someone recommend an all-day car park in town.....preferably one that's not too expensive? :)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Athlone town centre has a designated section for all day parking on level B €3 for up to 24hours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

flazio wrote: »
    Athlone town centre has a designated section for all day parking on level B €3 for up to 24hours

You need to bring your ticket up to the office in the car park to pay the three euro

flazio wrote: »

didn't know that. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Thanks for the information folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Guys - I am looking at buying a house in Athlone and one thing I am concerned about is the flood risk.

Can anyone advise on areas to avoid on that account?

Look here http://www.floodinfo.ie/ for the flood maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The Strand, Wolfe Tone Terrace, Clonown Road, Clonown itself. The apartments beside Shannon Weir also have been known to suffer when it floods...the car parks there anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

The Strand, Wolfe Tone Terrace, Clonown Road, Clonown itself. The apartments beside Shannon Weir also have been known to suffer when it floods...the car parks there anyway

Thanks - we spotted a house close to Clonown Road and thought it looked cheap for what it was. I guess the risk of flooding is the reason it is so cheap!

Advertisement