Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

pawrick wrote: »
    Was chatting to a craft brew festival rep a few years ago who said they had sounded out a festival for Athlone as the location is perfect but they couldn't get the bar owners and hoteliers to agree to share the events over the course of a weekend, they all wanted to be the main focus and wouldn't work with one another for mutual benefit. True or not i don't know + probably more to it than what he said but interesting point none the less.

Heard something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Heard something similar

Something similar happened years ago, a group of folk were trying to organise a Gary Moore tribute festival, but all the bars etc wouldnt agree to it going ahead without them being a main focus in it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

pawrick wrote: »
    Was chatting to a craft brew festival rep a few years ago who said they had sounded out a festival for Athlone as the location is perfect but they couldn't get the bar owners and hoteliers to agree to share the events over the course of a weekend, they all wanted to be the main focus and wouldn't work with one another for mutual benefit. True or not i don't know + probably more to it than what he said but interesting point none the less.

During the food festival thing they were doing a few years ago the organisers wanted to do a craft beer tent and showcase local independant brewers. No publican in town would support them.

Publican's in this town are so short sighted it's ****ing painful.

During the food festival thing they were doing a few years ago the organisers wanted to do a craft beer tent and showcase local independant brewers. No publican in town would support them.

Publican's in this town are so short sighted it's ****ing painful.

And I know which publicans they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

And I know which publicans they were.

who ?

• Advertisement

The Bermuda triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

The Bermuda triangle.
    I was told the same by the rep for the festival

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I take it, you might be referring to publicans in the centre of town?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I take it, you might be referring to publicans in the centre of town?

Seans , Castle and Snug

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

1,000th post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

1,000th post :)

Actually it's the 1000th reply to the Original Post so technically it's the one thousand and first post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Seans , Castle and Snug

The trinity of sabotage. I remember the odd summer where you'd have music on the square and another group playing at the back of the castle, down near the trinity. Good times. We need more events and the square in front of the library would be a great spot for out door performances, as long as the weather holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

I recently read in the WH examiner (I think) about approval to build ~900 new houses in the Brawny area & another area that I can't remember. m looking for more precise details on the projects as I can't find the newspaper article anymore online. Anyone get the details on these 2 developments please?

I recently read in the WH examiner (I think) about approval to build ~900 new houses in the Brawny area & another area that I can't remember. m looking for more precise details on the projects as I can't find the newspaper article anymore online. Anyone get the details on these 2 developments please?

Plans for a large scale development of housing stretching from Brawney down to Blackberry Lane. Halting site is going to be cleared for it.

Another development is seemingly going behind Church Hills estate in Coosan and behind The Bounty down towards Cornamaddy.

Local talk of it mainly being social housing schemes.

Plans for a large scale development of housing stretching from Brawney down to Blackberry Lane. Halting site is going to be cleared for it.

Another development is seemingly going behind Church Hills estate in Coosan and behind The Bounty down towards Cornamaddy.

Local talk of it mainly being social housing schemes.

The halting site is the other side of the motorway.

The development is from brawney so the back of the ESB offices/Spar in garrycastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Will the dual carriageway be cleared for it too? ;)

Will the dual carriageway be cleared for it too? ;)

I heard they're clearing everything from the Marist to Ericsson's. Dan's Tavern, the motorway, Quin's house, Neugent's, the whole lot. Motorway realigned 6 miles north to bypass Ballykeiran.

The development is from brawney so the back of the ESB offices/Spar in garrycastle.

Doh! getting mixed up on areas .... halting site being cleared for another proposed development seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Doh! getting mixed up on areas .... halting site being cleared for another proposed development seemingly.

Where will the occupants of halting site be relocated to?

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »

That's up to the council I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

To some of the new houses of course. They'll be "integrated" with the rest of the population, then the whole place will go to ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.5074885,-7.9383279,1261m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

If I had the money, I'd buy the island for myself. Feck the rest of ye. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I heard they're clearing everything from the Marist to Ericsson's. Dan's Tavern, the motorway, Quin's house, Neugent's, the whole lot. Motorway realigned 6 miles north to bypass Ballykeiran.

There is an N55 scheme bypassing ballykeeran so whoever told you that was high and or misled. Why the hell would they make the N6 2 sides of a triangle over a small village bypass.

There is an N55 scheme bypassing ballykeeran so whoever told you that was high and or misled. Why the hell would they make the N6 2 sides of a triangle over a small village bypass.

Jesus Christ or was clearly me taking the piss of Saint Mel.

So there are a few different descriptions above on what is happening, anyone got an idea if there are maps or plans drawn up or available from Westmeath county council?

Actually I'm just going to ring them...

aaargh!! closed 4 minutes ago. :rolleyes::o

The areas outlined in red are the next to be developed, with the more easterly larger area being land the council bought more recently and will be developed first, the black line is a rough aproximation of the through road that will service the development.

Edit: there is a proposal from residents. to make the road back to back and not a through road, so as to avoid extra through traffic using it as a rat run.
    hINf7l6.jpg

• Advertisement

The areas outlined in red are the next to be developed, with the more easterly larger area being land the council bought more recently and will be developed first, the black line is a rough aproximation of the through road that will service the development.

Edit: there is a proposal from residents. to make the road back to back and not a through road, so as to avoid extra through traffic using it as a rat run.
    hINf7l6.jpg

Sorry Subcomandante, you were referencing a map or picture in that post but may not have attached or linked to it. Could I trouble you to post it? Cheers. :o

Advertisement