Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's in the post... You quoted it...
    https://i.imgur.com/hINf7l6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

It's in the post... You quoted it...
    https://i.imgur.com/hINf7l6.jpg

:o thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Just noticed that Applegreen by B&Q is open 24/7 now. The whole shop (bar the off-license and deli) not just the pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Roadworks and traffic lights between the IDA park and Lidl - had all summer to do them but no wait until the schools go back...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Roadworks and traffic lights between the IDA park and Lidl - had all summer to do them but no wait until the schools go back...

Nightmare isn’t it? Hopefully not too much longer though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Nightmare isn’t it? Hopefully not too much longer though

It's no surprise at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I'm stunned the Texas Centre is being turned into an entertainment centre according to the Westmeath Indo. I expected it to be a Sports Direct and Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Just noticed that Applegreen by B&Q is open 24/7 now. The whole shop (bar the off-license and deli) not just the pumps.

I'm sure the off-licence cannot be open 24/7.I think the times by law are 10am-10pm Monday to Saturday,12 30pm -10pm on Sunday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

holyhead wrote: »
    I'm stunned the Texas Centre is being turned into an entertainment centre according to the Westmeath Indo. I expected it to be a Sports Direct and Iceland.

I can't believe that either, a prime (-ish) town centre site with a multi storey car park adjacent to it, surely its worth more as commercial units?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It could be mixed use, offices and retail units. For example, a small Doctors Surgery/Dentist, Accountants, etc. Another butchers that side of town wouldn't hurt either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I always thought it would make a great large music venue.

I always thought it would make a great large music venue.

Do we really need that kind of noise pollution and traffic congestion? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Yeah, who wants to listen to Tommy Flemming or Michael English in the middle of town, someone think of the children..... ;p

Coz that's who will end up there lol.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Do we really need that kind of noise pollution and traffic congestion? :P

Depends who's playing, and theres a multi story, so just needs some organisation on parking.

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Yeah, who wants to listen to Tommy Flemming or Michael English in the middle of town, someone think of the children..... ;p

Coz that's who will end up there lol.

They will be in the banned list.
    Good music only :)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Roscommon town are way ahead of Athlone in the field of music & the arts in general.

https://roscommonartscentre.ie/whats-on/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Mearings wrote: »
    Roscommon town are way ahead of Athlone in the field of music & the arts in general.

https://roscommonartscentre.ie/whats-on/

yes they seem to be. I even get text messages about different events in the county after signing up for alerts for the co co site but seldom if ever noticed athlone pop up on the list? Perhaps there is one for the westmeath side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

What's the handiest way of bringing old mattresses to the dump/waste collection centre without a van in Athlone? Is there any man with a van services that do something like this?

What's the handiest way of bringing old mattresses to the dump/waste collection centre without a van in Athlone? Is there any man with a van services that do something like this?
    I have a large pair of steel rod/wire cutters, a colleague borrowed them to cut up the spring base into small squares and put them into the recycling bin, the fabric was ripped off and put in the "landfill" bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I suspect a man with a van will charge you and your mattress will end up down the nearest boreen.

• Advertisement

Would be an interesting business venture. Home, garden and site cleaning. If only I had a van, trailer and a few gardening tools. I absolutely f-ing hate fly tipping. You can dispose of your waste in the local recycling centre or barna for relatively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Anyone recommend someone or a business which does conservatory roof leak repairs around Athlone. Tried a couple of local businesses but getting the run around having someone even come out to look it over. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

O'brains sandwich gone. This is the one a cross from Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

cena wrote: »
    O'brains sandwich gone. This is the one a cross from Dunnes

A pity. It was a handy spot with room for a buggy and I’m really fond of their salads at the moment. Very fortunate timing for the new coffee shop opening next door though. Nero’s I think it’s called?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Still in the Town Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

flazio wrote: »
    Still in the Town Centre?

No Idea

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

cena wrote: »
    No Idea

Yes it is. Probably separately run franchises?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Any thoughts on the attempted setup of a retail park in Monksland from Donor Kenny last year. Afaik there would have been an Aldi and some other stores there. Opposition from neighbouring Supervalu seemed to kill it. They said there's too little footfall.

Personally i took that as horsedoo. Plenty of people in Monksland plus the first stop for the Rossies to do shopping. Farce that it didn't get built

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Does Athlone really need 2 Aldi shops?

• Advertisement

Does Athlone really need 2 Aldi shops?
    Another Aldi (or Lidl) most certainly yes, there are no discount stores this side of the river. A store around here would reduce traffic in town.

I know that Lidl recently had planning to build in Baylough refused because the area is supposed to be more residential.

Advertisement