Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Does Athlone really need 2 Aldi shops?

There is two SuperValu, two Dunnes, two Tesco can't see a reason for the Westside of the town not to have a second large supermarket.

There is two SuperValu, two Dunnes, two Tesco can't see a reason for the Westside of the town not to have a second large supermarket.
    Yes, there is only one sizeable supermarket in Monkslands, competition would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

It would help take some of the pressure off golden island traffic, west side of the town definitely could do with another store but it really needs to be located in a spot that wont add to traffic congestion. exit from dual carriagway to monksland/ballinasloe is already crazy at rush hour and the smaller round about beside alkermes is causing a lot of the bottleneck, perhaps they could be redesigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Exit 13 (ironic number) needs a serious rethink on both sides. In my opinion they shouldn't have taken out the railway bridge on the old Galway road that used to end the bypass, instead they should have integrated a new exit similar to exit 8 on the other side of the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

flazio wrote: »
    Exit 13 (ironic number) needs a serious rethink on both sides. In my opinion they shouldn't have taken out the railway bridge on the old Galway road that used to end the bypass, instead they should have integrated a new exit similar to exit 8 on the other side of the bypass.

Would have been a no brainer. Cheaper than that new bridge too. Net result is that alot of Drumanians who cant indicate get unleashed on that Monksland roundabout. Nightmare for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Advertisement

J13 is actually easy to fix, all it needs is a "ramp meter" traffic light outside Alkermes, that goes red for about 20 seconds every time the westbound traffic backs up onto the bridge. Stopping the drio drip flow of trffic coming from Monkslands for a few seconds every coulpe of minutes would be sufficinent to clear the buildup leaving the town.

One traffic light before the roundabout coupled to a traffic sensor on the bridge is all that's needed, it can be a flashing orange when not at red ( to remind motorists that the roundabout rules still apply).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Both exits on the Roscommon side are terrible
    Its obvious who designed them - Westmeath county council

I thought that national roads were designed by the NRA, but anyway, they missed the opportunity to improve them a few years ago as part of the upgrade work carried out after the M6 works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Council's don't build or design roads.

Council's don't build or design roads.

Look it up.
    They did when the bypass was built

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Look it up.

Wouldn't the Council contract in civil engineering companies and architects?

Look it up.

System was changed since 1991. NRA became nationally responsible for national roads some time late 90s i believe.

For any works these days its the NRA(TII in todays world) who take responsibility

System was changed since 1991. NRA became nationally responsible for national roads some time late 90s i believe.

For any works these days its the NRA(TII in todays world) who take responsibility

So, Westmeath CC did design and build the road?

I'm too young to say for sure, but deducing from wikipedia...

The National Roads Authority (NRA) (Irish: An tÚdarás um Bóithre Náisiúnta) was a state body in Ireland, responsible for the national road network. The NRA was established as part of the Roads Act 1993[1] and commenced operations on 23 December 1993 in accordance with S.I. 407 of 1993. The NRA merged with the Railway Procurement Agency and was effectively dissolved on 1 August 2015. The merger of the two agencies is called Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII).

County councils remain responsible for local and regional roads, as well as various tasks like setting speed limits. The NRA, meanwhile, was responsible for the planning, maintenance and construction of National Primary Routes and National Secondary Routes as well as establishing safety measures. Ireland's national road network consists of 2,739 km (1,702 mi) of National Primary Routes and 2,676 km (1,663 mi) of National Secondary Routes.[2]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

helicopter flying around for ages tonight any idea whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Blanco100 wrote: »
    helicopter flying around for ages tonight any idea whats going on?

Coastguard.
    Apparently someone gone into the water near Burgess park.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Coastguard.
    Apparently someone gone into the water near Burgess park.

Any word on this? Seems to have stopped?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

A lad jumped into the Shannon between 6 and 7 yesterday evening sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Shannonside says search to resume today, so evidently no luck last night.

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/west-meath/searches-resume-river-shannon-athlone-reports-individual-water/

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Mearings wrote: »
    The top of Northgate Street is now two traffic lanes instead of three. I hope the footpath from Parsons Corner down to Court Devenish will be widened.

And the good news is that the work has started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Apparently, and it's only rumour mind, the lads were being chased by the guards, and decided to escape in the water...

Just how many years does this sign have to be the wrong way round before someone does something!
    The number of times I have had near misses from drivers going into this carpark.
    493329.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Just how many years does this sign have to be the wrong way round before someone does something!
    The number of times I have had near misses from drivers going into this carpark.
    493329.PNG

I'll be at the station on Sunday dropping my son to the train. I'll turn the blue sign around to face back into the carpark. Surprised noone else thought to do this.

I'll be at the station on Sunday dropping my son to the train. I'll turn the blue sign around to face back into the carpark. Surprised noone else thought to do this.

Send the bill to Irish rail for services rendered.
    :)

Send the bill to Irish rail for services rendered.
    :)

They had a clock on the liftshaft platform 2 for years which altho' the hands were moving, it was never set at the correct time. Last year it was removed. No replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Soystrene grene has shut. Anyone know why? Pity. I really liked that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Soystrene grene has shut. Anyone know why? Pity. I really liked that shop.

That’s disappointing. Probably the shop I visited the most in town.
    It was always quiet though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Reading on FB that the credit union maybe moving into the Sostrene Green Unit and possibly the next adjacent unit to it facing Golden Island

holyhead wrote: »
    Reading on FB that the credit union maybe moving into the Sostrene Green Unit and possibly the next adjacent unit to it facing Golden Island

The plus side of a move would be that the footpath in Northgate Street would no longer be used as a car park. The "I was just there for a couple of minutes" syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

that's a much better location for the CU, bus stop nearby and parking. Should alleviate some of the traffic problems (cars randomly stopping to drop people off or parking on the path) on north gate street also.

Advertisement