Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

pawrick wrote: »
    that's a much better location for the CU, bus stop nearby and parking. Should alleviate some of the traffic problems (cars randomly stopping to drop people off or parking on the path) on north gate street also.

Until they put bollards over there, people will still use it to drop people off.

In their defence, you really should have somewhere that you can drop someone before you hit the one-way eastbound. Alternatives at present are the disabled spots at the former Subway or the Bus Stop beside Castle. Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

holyhead wrote: »
    Reading on FB that the credit union maybe moving into the Sostrene Green Unit and possibly the next adjacent unit to it facing Golden Island
    It certainly will make it more accessible. However, if the CU is gone from Northgate St, it will take more people away from Church St. When we have to go to the CU - we park in Dunnes or Golden Island or Town Centre Shopping Centre and walk up town and have a nose on Church St..

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Until they put bollards over there, people will still use it to drop people off.

In their defence, you really should have somewhere that you can drop someone before you hit the one-way eastbound. Alternatives at present are the disabled spots at the former Subway or the Bus Stop beside Castle. Not great.

I wrote to the UDC some years ago suggesting safety bollards outside ACU, similar to Castle Street. Their reply stated that bollards were too expensive to erect & maintain but they would get their engineer to monitor the situation. Heard nothing since.
    In Pearse Street there is a printing shop that has bollards on the pavement outside, maybe it's cheaper to erect & maintain them on the Connaught side. Or maybe they were just giving me a load of bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Mearings wrote: »
    I wrote to the UDC some years ago suggesting safety bollards outside ACU, similar to Castle Street. Their reply stated that bollards were too expensive to erect & maintain but they would get their engineer to monitor the situation. Heard nothing since.
    In Pearse Street there is a printing shop that has bollards on the pavement outside, maybe it's cheaper to erect & maintain them on the Connaught side. Or maybe they were just giving me a load of bollards.

who owns the printing shop may also help explain that one.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    It certainly will make it more accessible. However, if the CU is gone from Northgate St, it will take more people away from Church St. When we have to go to the CU - we park in Dunnes or Golden Island or Town Centre Shopping Centre and walk up town and have a nose on Church St..

equally a lot of people avoid town altogether and go to their Monksland office as parking is such a pain to get nearby on Northgate street, esp for elderly people who cant walk far or have difficulty walking unaided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I had a craving for some McDonalds food after not eating there in years and chanced googling McDonald's delivery Athlone and came across a website called what's for dinner. Seems similar to just eat but they also include Subway, McDonald's and some off licences. Just thought I'd post if any use to anyone.

If anyone finds or hears someone has found a British Bulldog around the Summerhill area of Athlone let me know. He escaped from his owners today and they are distraught (it's been shared with local animal rescues, fb etc.). He's a very nervous dog (former rescue) but unfortunately he is not familiar with the area he's gone missing in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

pawrick wrote: »
    If anyone finds or hears someone has found a British Bulldog around the Summerhill area of Athlone let me know. He escaped from his owners today and they are distraught (it's been shared with local animal rescues, fb etc.). He's a very nervous dog (former rescue) but unfortunately he is not familiar with the area he's gone missing in.

The dog was seen wandering the road between Summerhill and the Roundabout near Kennedy's half an hour ago. See the attached image.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    The dog was seen wandering the road between Summerhill and the Roundabout near Kennedy's half an hour ago. See the attached image.

Thanks panic averted, they just got him around where you said, a few people had spotted him and let them know which direction to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Pulled in to the M6 service station tonight to grab a takeaway from McDonalds, hoping it would be quiet.

Wrong. Every modified car in the country must have been in the car park, some kind of friendly get-together. I did one circle of the car park and decided to make haste.

Is this becoming a common occurrence with all motorway service stations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Pulled in to the M6 service station tonight to grab a takeaway from McDonalds, hoping it would be quiet.

Wrong. Every modified car in the country must have been in the car park, some kind of friendly get-together. I did one circle of the car park and decided to make haste.

Is this becoming a common occurrence with all motorway service stations?

I pulled in yesterday for the first time too. Had the 2 kids with me and had told them we could do McDonald’s as a treat. Thought it might be quieter than the one at kilmartins. Boy, was I wrong. Place was packed. Wasn’t too excited about it tbh. It felt dark and busy and the food wasn’t great.

Probably busy due to the bank holiday traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Probably busy due to the bank holiday traffic.
    The motorway itself was fairly quiet at that time of night. The service station itself was like a boy-racer festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hmm, that Garda ramp for the speed check might get some use again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

the food wasn’t great.

Its McDonalds....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Two McDonald’s within 2 miles of each other seems strange considering Athlone is a provincial town.

Two McDonald’s within 2 miles of each other seems strange considering Athlone is a provincial town.

The newest one is located in "Tiredness Kills". A suburb of Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Not strange at all , There were two in Athlone for years and they actually both opened on the same day. 1 in Kilmartins and and other was located where the PTSB Bank is now located in Golden Island.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’d never consider going to the one on the motorway if we were to head to McDonalds from town, it’s really only for passing traffic who want a convenient stop and maybe a bite to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

TimHorton wrote: »
    Not strange at all , There were two in Athlone for years and they actually both opened on the same day. 1 in Kilmartins and and other was located where the PTSB Bank is now located in Golden Island.....

I hadn't realised two were open at the same time. I remember the one in GI. I guess it is a large town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

flazio wrote: »
    Hmm, that Garda ramp for the speed check might get some use again soon.

There were Gardai sitting at the off ramps at Clara (West bound) and Kilbeggan (East bound) on Sunday morning (11:30ish)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

TimHorton wrote: »

Just out of interest - why did McDonalds near Golden Island close down? It is pretty rare for McDs to close outlets as they usually operate on long lease or own their locations outright and do their homework in terms of the potential local demand for their eateries.

For those who live in and around the town Centre, it’s very inconvenient to get out to the Kilmartin’s McDonalds unless you have a car.

The New M6 Services Circle K McDonalds is to serve long distance motorway traffic between Dublin and Galway. It’s not intended to serve Athlone.

I am only guessing, but I suspect that they left to get out of an upwardly only rental agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

Anyone in the Athlone area want to rent out a nintendo switch for a few weeks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Just out of interest - why did McDonalds near Golden Island close down? It is pretty rare for McDs to close outlets as they usually operate on long lease or own their locations outright and do their homework in terms of the potential local demand for their eateries.

For those who live in and around the town Centre, it’s very inconvenient to get out to the Kilmartin’s McDonalds unless you have a car.

The New M6 Services Circle K McDonalds is to serve long distance motorway traffic between Dublin and Galway. It’s not intended to serve Athlone.

Burger King very close by with superior location next to cinema and easier parking perhaps?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Is their any truth in the rumour that a new hotel is coming to connaught street at some time in the future ? That side of town needs a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

To my amazement, I seen yesterday that you can turn right down Northgate Street when coming from Church Street. I thought ya had to go over the bridge and swing around and head back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

To my amazement, I seen yesterday that you can turn right down Northgate Street when coming from Church Street. I thought ya had to go over the bridge and swing around and head back.

That's always been the case. Also worth bearing in mind that the traffic coming from the "Far Side" must yield to the traffic from Church Street turning down North Gate Street.

Add o's as necessary...

But yeah the right turn is a bit Russian Roulette at times as the bridge crossing folk play chicken with them in a "will they wont they go" mexican standoff (the pedestrians being the third mex).

• Advertisement

Add o's as necessary...

But yeah the right turn is a bit Russian Roulette at times as the bridge crossing folk play chicken with them in a "will they wont they go" mexican standoff (the pedestrians being the third mex).
    A perfect example of how not to design a junction!

Advertisement