Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

To my amazement, I seen yesterday that you can turn right down Northgate Street when coming from Church Street. I thought ya had to go over the bridge and swing around and head back.

Traffic coming from Church Street, being forced to head over the bridge and back would be a more common sense approach, while some might not like it, it would allow for more free flowing traffic. Only traffic coming from Northgate street would have to stop and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

And there are the cars exiting, left and right, from the car park at AIB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Mearings wrote: »
    And there are the cars exiting, left and right, from the car park at AIB.

It would make sense if any traffic coming from AIB were only allowed to turn left.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    It would make sense if any traffic coming from AIB were only allowed to turn left.

I don't think they can see the red stop light by the west side of the exit or else many of them don't care, they sail through the pedestian crossing when the green man at Parsons is showing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Do you think there would be the demand for - and market for - a Boojum in Athlone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

yes i think so

Especially if they did deliveries + lunchtime deliveries to businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

carq wrote: »
    yes i think so

Especially if they did deliveries + lunchtime deliveries to businesses.

+1. Fridays would be a goldmine. The effort of going from Industrial Estates to your Left Bank areas etc on a Friday in time to get back makes some not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was there not a Spanish tapas place that was opened and then shut down?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Is their any truth in the rumour that a new hotel is coming to connaught street at some time in the future ? That side of town needs a boost.

haven't heard that but there's rumours going around for years of a big development where Grenhams / Connaught Bistro is. Never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

And in what world do a full service sit down Spanish tapas restaurant and a takeaway with seats selling mission style burritos and assorted sundries have anything in common other than the fact burrito is a spanish word?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Do you think there would be the demand for - and market for - a Boojum in Athlone?

Potentially, but it would have to be in the right place, and to be honest I don't have a clue where that could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

And in what world do a full service sit down Spanish tapas restaurant and a takeaway with seats selling mission style burritos and assorted sundries have anything in common other than the fact burrito is a spanish word?

This comment really boiled my piss. FFS.
    I only mentioned that a place opened, which wasn't the usual run of the mill type eatery, and it wasn't successful. It has **** all to do with Spanish, or it sounding Spanish. The town is full of standard eating spots, some more fancier eating spots, run of the mill Italians and Asian food. Not too many niche restaurants (Al Mezza Lebanese being the only one that I can think of) that have stood the test of time. How many of these are then just take-aways? **** all. You'd be competing for people in a very niche market, in a centre of relatively small population compared to where other Boojums are located. Perhaps it could work, I don't see it. I'm sure the required market research would say one way or another.

tl;dr - a niche type food establishment opened, and didn't work out. This could face the same issues, without being able to offer a sit down choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Las Radas was quality. Its main downfall imo was the locals not getting the the whole tapas thing. Lost count of the amount of people who said "don't go in hungry the portions are tiny" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

The town centre could definitely do with a nice salad deli

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The town centre could definitely do with a nice salad deli
    There was a Chopped place in the Town Centre a year or two ago and didn't stay long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is the deli in the Centra opposite The Prince of Wales any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

On the McDonald's that used to be in town, I had heard it was owned by PTSB. They decided to consolidate and downsize their two branches to this more favourable location. McDonald's consolidated to Kilmartins, where they had drive thru.

Of course we now have two McDonald's again with the m6 services also having McDonald's as he anchor fast food restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

flazio wrote: »
    Is the deli in the Centra opposite The Prince of Wales any good?

Used to be very good but I haven't eaten out of it in a while. Was always mental at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Used to be very good but I haven't eaten out of it in a while. Was always mental at lunch time.

Used to do breakfast rolls at 3am.
    Great after a feed of pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Corrib Oil reckon they will have their Ballymahon Road service station back open by early December.
    https://www.facebook.com/corriboilathlone/

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Corrib Oil reckon they will have their Ballymahon Road service station back open by early December.
    https://www.facebook.com/corriboilathlone/

The old "BCR" Station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

That junction at Church St/Northgate St is an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

The old "BCR" Station?

Yep.
    They have it all fenced off and a Spar opening soon sign up

holyhead wrote: »

See #1108 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Hi there used to be a Browne's bar on Connaught street. Does anyone know why it closed?

Rufeo wrote: »
    Hi there used to be a Browne's bar on Connaught street. Does anyone know why it closed?

It was a rough spot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The old "BCR" Station?

LOL, haven't heard that in a while.
    Why are the bothering, too many places have had there and not made a go of it, why will they be any different.
    Good luck to them though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

It was a rough spot.

Rough in what way....rowdy patrons? Or something unnatural lol

Rufeo wrote: »
    Rough in what way....rowdy patrons? Or something unnatural lol

You wouldn't go there for a quiet pint, put it that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

holyhead wrote: »

Everyone keeps saying that but still no crashes yet.

Advertisement